Touch Dual Google maps and the “my location” feature.

Guest Defenceless Old Lady

Guest Defenceless Old Lady

I am thinking very hard about getting a Touch Dual (T-Mobile) but the lack of GPS is putting me off.

Google maps claims to be able to fix your location with out a GPS.

I know it is not as accurate as a GPS but it would do for me, has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Many thanks

Guest Confucious

Downloaded googlemaps on my startrk the other day. Here in Woking it shows a couple of streets away (and very quick) In London it had me almost spot on!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest irusmal

used my location about 2-3 times in different places. Works pretty accurately, i would say about 300-400 meters from actual location. But sometimes cannot identify my location at all...

Guest ROGUEx360

Is there any secret to making the 'My Location' feature work without a GPS receiver?

I have tried Google Maps on both my XDA2i (HTC Alpine) and iPAQ 614c with my O2 pay monthly sim card, and in both handsets I get a message about my handset not being compatible with the 'My Location' feature.

Of course on the iPAQ 614c, I can turn on the GPS and get a fix that way, in which case the 'My Location' feature works.

But why does it not work on either handset using the mobile phone network for positioning?

Any ideas?,

Thanks.