Apple license Exchange Activesync - the iPhone gets true push e-mail!

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix

[teaser]

thumb_06-Mar-2008_applehrtexchange.jpg
Currently in the midst of a press conference where most Apple fanatics are awaiting the launch of an iPhone SDK, Apple Worldwide Marketing boss Phil Schiller has just dropped a megatonne:

Exchange Activesync has been licensed for the iPhone, allowing remote wite, push e-mail, contacts, calendar and tasks sync all to your iPhone![/teaser]

So what does this mean for Windows Mobile? Are Microsoft are more focused on uprooting RIM's Blackberry Enterprise email backend regardless of what it takes?

Microsoft has come up with a much more advanced architecture, where the iPhone can work directly with the Exchange server in a more reliable and affordable way. We're building Exchange support so you get push email, push calendaring, push contacts, global address lists, and the ability to remote wipe it.

With Google and Yahoo tie-in's at launch Apple clearly had the prosumer/consumer market in their sites and were berated (a little) at the time for missing out key business functionality, however today's presentation Schiller showed off full Exchange capability in the existing iPhone Mail app.

Apple made a great job with the intuitive iPhone interface and mobile Safari web browser, however the e-mail side has always been something of a let down. Does this change things for you, dear reader? Anyone out there holding out from the iPhone due to its limited e-mail capabilities?

Is this enough to convince you to make the switch? :D

[Engadget]

Guest Monolithix

I apologise now for the terrible pic :D And i know it isn't strictly WinMo related, but big enough an event to have an impact on our scene!

Oh, and i definately want an iPhone now (to see me through til the X1 is released :()

:(

Guest markdotpeters5

I'm well pleased about Activesync.... and Super Monkey Ball :D :(

Now would someone PLEASE make a video recording app for it! thanks!

Guest Shuflie

That's great news, but will it be a free upgrade or not. Just bought the 16GB iphone and unlocked/jail broke it two nights ago. Would hate to think that there will be push email on newer phones and not on my nearly new one. Although that seems to be the usual form from Apple and ipods.

Guest markdotpeters5

It's a free upgrade for the iPhone at least.

Apple wanna flog you the games, so it's in their interests.

3g model will be here this year, no doubt.

Guest Kallisti

Wow - this is killer app territory. My view is that from my VarioII/III experience 3G is a red herring - it's such a drain on battery that, especially combined with push email, it's useless. <24 battery life.

As for MMS - seriously, who cares? The only reason I'd use MMS is because it's cheaper when abroad than an SMS, but that's just a temporary marketing trick.

iPhone is getting there - it's a nice looking device, nice form factor and becoming a nice feature set. Especially with the SDK opening up now.

Developer question, if you could sell your app and get 70% of it's sale value with no other sale expenses, would you switch? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

On the flipside - £269 + full contract costs? Seriously overpriced, can't wait till everyone else catches up - just wish they'd realise they have to.

Edited by Kallisti

Guest Shuflie

Don't dismiss the cheaper MMS from abroad marketing trick, its incredibly useful when you see something interesting abroad or just what to ask someone if they like the look of a present you are thinking of getting them. Being able to do all that and write a letter to them rather than a simple txt message all for just 20p (which comes out of your monthly flext allowance too) is fantastic.

Guest markdotpeters5

You can still take a picture and email it to them from your iPhone... assuming you have wi-fi or a data connection that doesn't cost the earth of course.

Guest Confucious
My view is that from my VarioII/III experience 3G is a red herring - it's such a drain on battery that, especially combined with push email, it's useless.

Uselesss? I use HSDPA quite a bit (and can drain a battery in about 2 1/2 hours) I charge my phone every night so

As for MMS - occasionally I use it but it is a pain to set up and my current ROM doesn't seem to like it, must admit, I don't miss it too much when I don't have it but when I do I do use it sometimes.

Guest Confucious
You can still take a picture and email it to them from your iPhone... assuming you have wi-fi or a data connection that doesn't cost the earth of course.

But when you are abroad data is expensive - and not everyone can receive emails all the time but *most people have an MMS enabled phone.

* In an independent survey I asked every single person in the world (except you) and this was the actual result.

Guest markdotpeters5

Well jobs said that they'd look at it when the chips got more power efficient, so maybe that's happening, who knows.

Everyone I know has an email address :D

Seriously, I don't care about MMS support. I never used it, I never will. For everone else, it's bound to be added very soon.

You can already receive them.

Guest Confucious

Everyone I know has an email address 9otherwise I've lost contact with them!) but not always access to their email.

But you're right - it's hardly a killer issue.

Guest creamhackered

Once it has 3G/HSDPA and Slingbox app then I will get it hehe. iPhone seriously kicks Windows Mobile's arse now. It seems MS is really failing these days.

Guest Monolithix
Once it has 3G/HSDPA and Slingbox app then I will get it hehe. iPhone seriously kicks Windows Mobile's arse now. It seems MS is really failing these days.

WinMo is failing (sic)...

MS as a whole, i think, have just raised the bar somewhat...

Guest sonus
WinMo is failing (sic)...

MS as a whole, i think, have just raised the bar somewhat...

The IPhone is awesome and truly revolutionary. I know its going to change high end cell phones for the better. BUT

I really wanted the IPhone, but in the end I got the HTC Touch Cruise...

My decisions was based on the IPhone having...

1. No Copy/Paste

2. No Bluetooth Voice Dialing

3. No A2DP

4. No MMS

5. No removeable battery

5. No Flash support

6. No option to save anything from the browser

7. No video recording

8. No 3G

9. No MS Office editing

To me the Iphone in current state is more of a webbrowser with a Ipod, and then some phone and pda features thrown in. I have no doubt that once Apple fixes these glaring omisions, I as well as many others will convert.

Guest nickcornaglia

I switched but I only see it as temporary. I switch phones every few months (addicted) and I'm not ruling returning to WindowsMobile out at all. But if I do switch to something else from the iPhone...It better be a really great device.

My Windows Mobile needs have evolved. I used to pack it with EVERY app I possibly could. Installing and trying every app that came along spending hours of time a day playing with my phone, and then talking about it here online.

But I have later minimized my applications list and use i as an all around communication device...phone, email, sms, RSS, IM, and the ocassional MMS....Relying on the web browser for many many things these days.

There are lots of things missing from the iPhone (Like Exchange)...but lots of new features are coming soon or will eventually. And noting my usage...it works perfectly for me.

The user experience is great to say the least....beautiful in most areas, while falling a tiny bit short in others.

I, like others, really want Video recording, Flash, Copy/Paste, 3G, etc. But I can wait.

I really love WindowsMobile, and cant wait for them to catch up with UI glamour and a bit more consumer focused features as opposed to enterprise.

But on topic...

Cudos to MS for licensing the competitor. They don't seem to mind doing that these days. I'm sure they're getting a good buck for it. And great job to Apple for the constant iPhone updates based on their actually listening to consumers. MS could learn something from that.

Guest nickcornaglia

Oh and Slingbox for iPhone is coming...they were waiting for the SDK to be released and wouldn't be surprised if we saw something this summer.

Guest Sonicr360

Not impressed. would it want me to obtain an iPhone? Nope!

Lack of slow connectivity, plus seeing as a new better version is on the Horizon, why bother with it. From my view the iphone really is old hat, even though the UK has only just coming to terms with it.

I work with someone who has one, and I cannot say I am that impressed with it. There again, I do not have music on the go or own an ipod (never needed one).

Each to their own me thinks :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.