Liberate your HTC Shift!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest zkambouris

Hi Paul

Thanks is not enough for your great efforts,

I have already follow your steps and reached to the goal succsessfuly.

But I was wondering if the phone feature can be activated or not, and if so what are the files needed.

once again Thank you so much.

Zeyad Kambouris.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

had the problem with not-working Office 6.1. After re-installation of the country version (RUS for me) everything started to work perfectly!

I really don't manage to install office on my norwegian shift. <_<

Will buying a norwegian office pack from hadango help me to get it installed?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Frandzd

Hi,

Think you for all. it's very nice and cool to use it, but i have some problems. Office mobile 6.1 don't work with my device. I have an error message.

Please help me

The step by step guide to using SHIFTpack.Liberate
  1. First you need to send to your device with those files we mentioned. Either input your email address below...
    • E-Mail Address for SHIFTpack.Liberate files:
or click these links to send them to yourself the hard way!
  • LNK file
  • CAB file

• We're going to save one of these files in the 'Settings' directory that appears when you hit 'Settings' on the homescreen, so we need to do some cheeky stuff to get access to that. So...
    • Start a new mail
    • Select 'Insert Picture'
    • Browse to \Windows
    • With the keyboard, navigate so 'Settings' is highlighted, and hit CTRL-X. The folder icon will go a lighter colour.
    • Now navigate to \My Documents, and hit CTRL-V. Settings will appear.
    • Select 'Cancel Message' to close that new message.

[*]We're now ready to save the files. Firstly, press and hold on the CAB file, Select 'Save As' and save in the default location. Next press and hold on the .lnk file, select 'Save As' but this time drop down the 'Folder' box and select 'Settings'.

[*]We're now ready to put that settings menu back where it should be.

[*]Start a new mail

[*]Select 'Insert Picture'

[*]Browse to \My Documents

[*]With the keyboard, navigate so 'Settings' is highlighted, and hit CTRL-X. The folder icon will go a lighter colour.

[*]Now navigate to \Windows, and hit CTRL-V. Settings will appear right down the bottom of the list.

[*]Select 'Cancel Message' to close that new message.

[*]Good stuff, we're now ready to actually carry out the Liberation B) From the home screen, select Settings as normal, and you'll see a new option - 'Liberate'! Select it, say yes to the prompt, and let it finish. Then close the Settings page and reopen it before hitting the 'Soft Reset' item that has now appeared (you'll notice 'Liberate' has now disappeared from here!).

[*]The device reboots, and it is liberated! Hurrah! You can use the 'USB Tool' option that is now in Settings to hook up to Vista (as in the video) and do all the normal stuff you'd expect to do with Windows Mobile! B)

Guest angeunique

Almost done! ONLY explorer cannot install to snap vue! I'm stucked at: where you install to the desktop the file: Shift Pack pocket internet explorer.exe Cannot find it, The attach detach works fine, i libarated the snap vue, i have everything except the explorer. I registeres the windows mobile before. I desinstalled, reinstalled, and always say: connected when i install it. What can i do to unregister the windows mobile, it always appear as connected, and registered. I don't have the page: Do more with windows mobile center. where did you found that page? Everything works and are same as explained except i have no explorer in snapvue! Help! Please. From angeunique B)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

Could smbdy tell what is battery life time on HTC shift using Windows mobile like

1) Web browsing

2) Video

3) Book reading

?

I'm interested in buying such device - but I need long lifetime. Plz help me do decide.

• 3 weeks later...

I have got a big problem on my htc shift x9500. I can not liberate snapvue since I follow up the instructions step by step but when I want to Save As the file, I see it is inactive to do so. Please help me before I sell my loveable HTC SHIFT out.

Guest strabe

I succeeded to liberate my HTC Shift. Now that I have access to install programs I see that the space available for storing is limited. Therefore my question is; is it a way that I ca reach the SD memory card from the mobile part of my Shift?

• 1 month later...
Guest net_boy

Hi mate.

is it just me, or is there an issue with downloading the .CAB files?

I can't seem to retreive them & the email feature fails to send anything?

Thanx in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Dawie

Hi Paul,

My HTC is in the post and I'm very pleased to know that you can "liberate" the Shift.

I've tried to download the added shiftpacks but get error 404 "website could not be found"

Can you please assist?

Thanks,

Dawie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fredek

I have tried to liberate my HTC Shift, but the liberate file does not show up in settings as in the video. Therefore I can't get it to work. I use norwegian rom. I have downloaded the files from rapidshare, and everything else looks ok. Can anyone help please?

Guest dustinfrd

In the video I see that after all the new settings are in place that the phone icon pops up in the start menu can you use that icon to make voice calls with out using other apps like skype and yahoo voice transfer???? if not please tell me your working on unlocking that it just seems so dumb on HTCs part to use the mobile networks but not allow for voice calls I want one soooooo Bad but I just cant allow myself to spend that much and have to open another line just for the umpc's data transfer when i could do it all on one device

Guest dustinfrd

in the video I see that after the new settings are in place that the phone icon pops up in the start menu in windows mobile can you use that to make voice calls?????

if not please tell me that's some thing that your working on it just seems to me kinda dumb on the part of HTC to use the Mobile networks and not allow that use of voice calls!!!!

I want one sooooo bad I cant stand it but I cant see paying that much for one then having to open another line just for the data transfer when It should have been that way in the first place well please let me know like I said I really want one but only if I am able to make and get voice calls.

• 1 month later...
Guest ThePinkUn

Okay so Liberate went well but the Bluetooth is not available in WiMo 6 in this configuration. Any idea how to get that going?

Cheers

Jon

Found out Bluetooth not avaialble needs a new ROM build which someone smarter than me may be developing

Edited by ThePinkUn

Guest ThePinkUn

Liberate successfully, also HardSPL, Radio and ROM (which meant re-liberation) to enable voice but the Phonepad does not come up.

Any ideas?

Sorted missed something out in the process.

Edited by ThePinkUn

Guest ThePinkUn

Paul

Great Liberated, HardSPL'd and can now use the phone just working on the GPS. In all of that your wonderful USBtool has been replaced by a less than optimal one. Do you have you USBtool available as a CAB file so I can install that by itself without having to go through the liberate process again - not sure what that will do to the mods already done.

Thanks

Jon

Edited by ThePinkUn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I have my Shift for a few days now and I tried everything to get it liberated, but it won't work.

First I added an email account (gmail) to SnapView and sent the files to it. When I got them in my inbox I unpacked everything as described in the video. But when clicking on the 'Liberate' link I get an error message:

Installation von

SHIFTpack.Liberate.CAB ist

fehlgeschlagen

This is the same error message as posted a few times in this thread - but here in German, because it's a German device.

I've tried different email accounts and sent the files manually or by your service - it's all the same, the liberation will not work.

One strange thing I found: I wanted to see, how many bytes the CAB file is on the Shift and so I opened a new mail and opend insert->file to get access to the CAB file. When I attached it into the mail it's indicated with '(0 Bytes)'. Then I've done the same thing on my HTC Athena and here the file size is given as '(369 Bytes)'. Maybe there is something lost on the way. But how can this be, when I've tried differet email accounts and ways of sending the files?

I'm very frustrated and have no idea left what to try to get it done.

Do you have any messages from other users with similar problems, that may help me?

Many thanx in advance, Hiu.

Hi Paul,

I have my Shift for a few days now and I tried everything to get it liberated, but it won't work.

First I added an email account (gmail) to SnapView and sent the files to it. When I got them in my inbox I unpacked everything as described in the video. But when clicking on the 'Liberate' link I get an error message:

Installation von

SHIFTpack.Liberate.CAB ist

fehlgeschlagen

This is the same error message as posted a few times in this thread - but here in German, because it's a German device.

I've tried different email accounts and sent the files manually or by your service - it's all the same, the liberation will not work.

One strange thing I found: I wanted to see, how many bytes the CAB file is on the Shift and so I opened a new mail and opend insert->file to get access to the CAB file. When I attached it into the mail it's indicated with '(0 Bytes)'. Then I've done the same thing on my HTC Athena and here the file size is given as '(369 Bytes)'. Maybe there is something lost on the way. But how can this be, when I've tried differet email accounts and ways of sending the files?

I'm very frustrated and have no idea left what to try to get it done.

Do you have any messages from other users with similar problems, that may help me?

Many thanx in advance, Hiu.

I'm finally liberated! As in most other reported cases it has been an email related problem. I've sent the files by an 'gmail' and an 'web.de' mail account. In both cases the files could be seen in the incoming mail and I was able to save the files. But the saved CAB file was always empty (0 Bytes). In despair I used a third account and now I've got a question when opening the mail with the two files wether to download them to the device or get placeholders only. When I downloaded the files I now have a real CAB file which worked perfectly!

Many thanks for providing this extremly useful tool!

Regards, Hiu.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Heike141

Hi All,

I have tried to install WiMo on my HTC Shift. I used the video from Paul which is great. Almost everything worked fine but I have one big problem. I don´t have Shift Pack on the Desktop or anywhere else in VISTA. I cannot see the icon like in the movie. When the question pops up whether I want to install ShiftPack or not, it has 0 km, so I guess there is nothing to install. I have the connection from WiMo to Vista but I cannot use ShiftPack in Vista.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Heike141

progress.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest qayyumsattar

Now, there is a little hack to make the Snapvue see the storage card. Here is how to do it:

- Install Total Commander (make sure you have liberated the Shift).

-Then, in order to mount the SD card from TotalCommander in Snapvue:

First, go in Vista and right click on the sd card icon or usb flash/ hdd and select Properties>Share and select “share this drive over the network”

When done, the access path will be displayed

Then go on snapvue, start usbtool

- Once snapvue is linked, open TotalCommander. Go to plugin>lan and click on add a new server

-type the path of the device you want to mount (should be \\”nameofyourcomputer”\”letter of the drive you want to mount”

-thats it you can acess sd card from snapvue!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.