Liberate your HTC Shift!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest holybear

I just got a Shift (at an insane €99!) and liberated it using your method. Thanks Paul, you're a godsend.

I'm debating whether I want to go so far as to get the phone working as well; I'm actually fairly happy with the device as "just" an internetmachine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jed100n

Hi Paul,

I am having the "installation was unsuccessful" message when I click on the liberate icon.

I looked at the file size of my CAB file and it was reading 369 bytes but when I watched your video, the filesize of the CAB file was 6K (when it was being shown as an attachment in your email)?

I'm guessing this is the problem as to why it won't run - but whenever I click the CAB file link on page one of this topic it always downloads a 369 bytes length file as opposed to a 6K version. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest liviu74

Hallo, I finally got shift...better late than never...:) has Italian language. I put win7 english but can't liberate wm6. I have followed all the steps as in video but nothing happens. Gives NO error but the liberate icon doesn't appear in settings. I don't understand why? Also from windows I can not connect with windows mobile device center. Can anybody help? Pleasse...

Guest liviu74
Hallo, I finally got shift...better late than never... :) has Italian language. I put win7 english but can't liberate wm6. I have followed all the steps as in video but nothing happens. Gives NO error but the liberate icon doesn't appear in settings. I don't understand why? Also from windows I can not connect with windows mobile device center. Can anybody help? Pleasse...

Hallo friends, I have liberated my shift using this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=377441

Almost everything is working (internet explorer, windows media player, notes, today items...so on) but is not working the phone mode (I can't call) and office pack is telling "error"

If you have such problems and can give an advice, please do so. Thank you in advance.

Guest ashyboi2010

ive just brought a shift after reading the liberate posts, but after quite literally being on the net searching for hours, i cannot find the .cab and .lnk files and its driven me crazy

i feel i havent left a page on the www unturned

the send email etc on here no longer work

i guess im a bit behind as the post is over a year old lol

i hope someone can help me please ;(

THANKS

Edited by ashyboi2010

Guest buttonskennedy

Hi Paul, i have tried everything to get this shift pack to download to my computer through google mail and yahoo mail. nothing seems to work. can you please help.....

The step by step guide to using SHIFTpack.Liberate
  1. First you need to send to your device with those files we mentioned. Either input your email address below...
or click these links to send them to yourself the hard way!
  • LNK file
  • CAB file

• We're going to save one of these files in the 'Settings' directory that appears when you hit 'Settings' on the homescreen, so we need to do some cheeky stuff to get access to that. So...
    • Start a new mail
    • Select 'Insert Picture'
    • Browse to \Windows
    • With the keyboard, navigate so 'Settings' is highlighted, and hit CTRL-X. The folder icon will go a lighter colour.
    • Now navigate to \My Documents, and hit CTRL-V. Settings will appear.
    • Select 'Cancel Message' to close that new message.

[*]We're now ready to save the files. Firstly, press and hold on the CAB file, Select 'Save As' and save in the default location. Next press and hold on the .lnk file, select 'Save As' but this time drop down the 'Folder' box and select 'Settings'.

[*]We're now ready to put that settings menu back where it should be.

[*]Start a new mail

[*]Select 'Insert Picture'

[*]Browse to \My Documents

[*]With the keyboard, navigate so 'Settings' is highlighted, and hit CTRL-X. The folder icon will go a lighter colour.

[*]Now navigate to \Windows, and hit CTRL-V. Settings will appear right down the bottom of the list.

[*]Select 'Cancel Message' to close that new message.

[*]Good stuff, we're now ready to actually carry out the Liberation :) From the home screen, select Settings as normal, and you'll see a new option - 'Liberate'! Select it, say yes to the prompt, and let it finish. Then close the Settings page and reopen it before hitting the 'Soft Reset' item that has now appeared (you'll notice 'Liberate' has now disappeared from here!).

[*]The device reboots, and it is liberated! Hurrah! You can use the 'USB Tool' option that is now in Settings to hook up to Vista (as in the video) and do all the normal stuff you'd expect to do with Windows Mobile! B)

• 1 month later...
Guest shiftdumdum

thanks to all your posts i Liberate my shift in no time flat thanks so much

but i was wondering if some one could help me with the phone

mine is a cmda on sprint not sim

i really want to get the number pad up and change the esn

i need to change the esn because sprint only hooks shifts up on data only

so i want to swap esns with an old Mogul i have

ill take any help i can get thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest RSargeant

Unbelievable! I did the Control-X cut of the Settings folder from Windows then attempted the Control-V into My Documents, and the folder simply vanished! Maybe my fat fingers fumbled!!

Now my "Settings" in SnapVue has no icons at all, it's simply empty. There is no longer a Settings folder under Windows or anywhere else as far as I can see without Explorer.

Once I reach home and can attach the Shift to my PC with a USB cable I'll browse around and see if I can find the lost folder, but if not my plan is just to create a new Settings folder in Windows and follow the instructions earlier in this thread.

Can anyone (someone, please) tell me the contents of that Settings folder after you've successfully unlocked your Shift? Are there other files in there?

I've tried the hard reset from Vista (but not yet the F3 method) and still have blank settings.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Richard

• 3 months later...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I like my Shift. It has some obvious failings (such as the pretty horrible battery life) and also the 'crippled' Snapvue, which is really a locked down Windows Mobile 6 with bits removed. Wouldn't it be great if you could Liberate SnapVue by making it full WinMo 6, and then installing as normal? Wouldn't it be great if this was made really easy? Wouldn't it be great perhaps if the process was demo'd on video? Wouldn't it be great if the software you really wanted was bundled up into easy to use 'packs'? /me takes a bow :D

Introducing... SHIFTpack.Liberate and SHIFTpacks!

Let me explain :P

SHIFTpack.Liberate is the first step on the road to liberating your Shift. It's super easy to use, very small, and demonstrated in the video below. It restores your Start Menu, restores CAB assocations to let you install stuff, lets you soft reset without needing Vista and gives you a utility that lets you hook up the WinMo side to the Vista (WMDC) side of your Shift. You'll see the full process in the video and detailed below, but it goes like this...

• Ensure you have access to an email account on Snapvue
  • Enter your e-mail address in the form below, to send the all important SHIFTpack.Liberate files to your device
  • Save files in the relevant locations (some trickery here)
  • Click the Liberate icon in Settings
  • Click the Soft Reset icon in Settings
  • Enjoy WinMo 6 goodness

Once this is done, you can then use our SHIFTpacks either in CAB form on the WinMo side or (even better) in EXE form from Vista (as demo'd in the video) to restore missing functionality. We will be adding a whole bunch of SHIFTpacks over the next few days, so keep checking back!

At this point, watch the video above!

So you like what you see and you want to get started? Excellent! There are TWO posts below (News page readers, click 'View Topic'). The first is dedicated to using SHIFTpack.Liberate to liberate your device, the second contains additional SHIFTpacks for extra functionality (such as Pocket IE in the video) and will be continually updated as we create new packs.

Read on!

Hello Paul, Great thing, making my shift a lot more interesting and usefull. I have one question/problem: when I liberated my shift Vista was not started yet. So at the step: USBTOOL and then OPTIONS/attach to vista, I did the attach, saw that vista was not present and started vista, vista started, did something with loading extra files/drivers in vista, so from there the video does'nt work for me anymore, because the steps in the video do not work for me? What now? Can I do something else, or do I have to HARD RESET winmo and try again?

greetings Rob Christant

• 1 month later...

Hi, I few times make liberate my shift, few times I make foul recovery both systems, last time i installed ShiftHardSPLFinal (it has 2 files - EnableRapi that for start under WM and ShiftHardSPLFinal - for Vista)

I installed first pack under WM and after that second one under Vista/

After The shift loose liberate, I tried clean storage and back up to factory configuration under WM, I did, but now I can make liberate again, I tried to do same under Vista - dos'nt help again.

Now Vista dos'nt see WM, but mobile network it work.

I need some person who can help me recovery all system and better if I can call with this shift.

my email [email protected] or who can do , I live us, stroudsburg, pa 1570-8565426

Thank you!

Edited by pocono

• 8 months later...
Guest papasieg

The step by step guide to using SHIFTpack.Liberate

1. First you need to send to your device with those files we mentioned. Either input your email address below...
    • E-Mail Address for SHIFTpack.Liberate files:
  • LNK file
  • CAB file
    We're going to save one of these files in the 'Settings' directory that appears when you hit 'Settings' on the homescreen, so we need to do some cheeky stuff to get access to that. So...
    • Start a new mail
    • Select 'Insert Picture'
    • Browse to \Windows
    • With the keyboard, navigate so 'Settings' is highlighted, and hit CTRL-X. The folder icon will go a lighter colour.
    • Now navigate to \My Documents, and hit CTRL-V. Settings will appear.
    • Select 'Cancel Message' to close that new message.

<li>We're now ready to save the files. Firstly, press and hold on the CAB file, Select 'Save As' and save in the default location. Next press and hold on the .lnk file, select 'Save As' but this time drop down the 'Folder' box and select 'Settings'.

<li>We're now ready to put that settings menu back where it should be.

[*]Start a new mail[*]Select 'Insert Picture'[*]Browse to \My Documents[*]With the keyboard, navigate so 'Settings' is highlighted, and hit CTRL-X. The folder icon will go a lighter colour.[*]Now navigate to \Windows, and hit CTRL-V. Settings will appear right down the bottom of the list.[*]Select 'Cancel Message' to close that new message.

<li>Good stuff, we're now ready to actually carry out the Liberation :D From the home screen, select Settings as normal, and you'll see a new option - 'Liberate'! Select it, say yes to the prompt, and let it finish. Then close the Settings page and reopen it before hitting the 'Soft Reset' item that has now appeared (you'll notice 'Liberate' has now disappeared from here!).

<li>The device reboots, and it is liberated! Hurrah! You can use the 'USB Tool' option that is now in Settings to hook up to Vista (as in the video) and do all the normal stuff you'd expect to do with Windows Mobile! :(

Not working LIberate will not appear in settings menu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Prof. J. Eduards

Hi, Paul! Great info on your Liberated Shift, but I can no longer find any working links.

Is the SHIFTpack.Liberate file still available? Where can I download it?

I am very eager to liberate my hand-me-down HTC Shift.

Thanks a lot!

from the beautiful Philippines,

Ed

• 4 months later...
Guest encephale

Hello my name is Ibrahim and I'm from west Africa in a french speaking country. I want you to be lenient because I don't speak english fluently. I've a problem with my HTC SHIFT UMPC X9500. We got it here in Cote d'Ivoire in 2012. I've got mine since a month but it cannot make voice call so i packed it inside of my cupboard. Since a week, I found this forum by chance. I was looking for shift liberate pack files. I found them two days ago at 2 o'clock a.m. I've follow Modaco video and I've liberate my shift. Since three days, I'm trying attaching windows mobile to my os, but in vain. My shift run winows 7 and i have windows mobile 6 professionnal SE CE 5.2.1620 (BUILD 18125.0.4.2) 2007 Microsoft corporation. I just download windows mobile device center and i installed it. I try to attach again the both OS but windows 7 says unknown device when trying to install the driver he says device is not connected. I install again windows mobile device center as windows vista sp1 compatibility, when I try to attach both OS , windows 7 try to install microsoft windows mobile remote adapter but that fail. please help me to attach both os and install the other .cab files.

Thank for all efforts you did for us

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest lffox

Please help me to know how can I obtain pack files for liberation snapvue on hatc shift x9500, cause i´ve tried all your recommendations without success

Thanks

lffox

• 7 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.