Wi-Fi Issues

Guest Retronana

Guest Retronana

First the good news !

My Kaiser is back from the HTC repair center, Sprite Backup did its job and it looks like I'm nearly back to normal...nearly

I have a Belkin N1 Router Modem (which worked just fine), this went pop last week and I exchanged it at PC World on Sunday, same model but it has been slightly redesigned (firmware & case)

Wireless wise, I run it with broadcast SSID on and use MAC filtering to limit the clients, hardly rock solid but given I have a non tech wife and two boys that own DS's & PSP's the use of WEP & WPA would be tough going for them.

Now the router works fine with everything apart from the Kaiser, now the issue maybe because of few things, and this is where I'm looking for help :D

Kaiser Wi-Fi MAC Address, can someone let me know exactly how to ensure i have found the correct one for the Kaiser ?

Wi-Fi broadcast, is the Kaiser on b/g limited to certain broadcasts constraints or channels that mean my router is not giving it what it needs ?

Any other issues that you think may be causing the issue ?

When the Wi-Fi is enabled via Com Manager is does see the network but just won't connect :(

Help ?

Edited by Retronana

First the good news !

My Kaiser is back from the HTC repair center, Sprite Backup did its job and it looks like I'm nearly back to normal...nearly

I have a Belkin N1 Router Modem (which worked just fine), this went pop last week and I exchanged it at PC World on Sunday, same model but it has been slightly redesigned (firmware & case)

Wireless wise, I run it with broadcast SSID on and use MAC filtering to limit the clients, hardly rock solid but given I have a non tech wife and two boys that own DS's & PSP's the use of WEP & WPA would be tough going for them.

Now the router works fine with everything apart from the Kaiser, now the issue maybe because of few things, and this is where I'm looking for help :D

Kaiser Wi-Fi MAC Address, can someone let me know exactly how to ensure i have found the correct one for the Kaiser ?

Wi-Fi broadcast, is the Kaiser on b/g limited to certain broadcasts constraints or channels that mean my router is not giving it what it needs ?

Any other issues that you think may be causing the issue ?

When the Wi-Fi is enabled via Com Manager is does see the network but just won't connect :(

Help ?

I also use MAC filtering and the method I use for finding the MAC address of my handset is:

* Disable MAC filtering on router

* Let the handset connect to the router

* Log onto the router with a PC and check the Wireless clients that are connected - note down MAC address of the handset

* Enable MAC filtering again and add the MAC address to the Access Control List.

I did have a problem with WIFI when I had a replacement device from Expansys - I tracked this down to the Power Management on WIFI. Set Performance to 'Maximum Performance' and this solved the problem for me.

Guest jimbouk

Turn on wireless in Comm Manager, click on menu, wireless settings, then click on advanced tab to get the mac address of the wireless card in the kaiser.

I would turn on encryption if I were you - especially if doing banking or anything and someone could be within range of your wifi.

Guest Retronana

Thanks for the feedback so far, update so far given your advice so far:

Changed Power Management to Maximum Performance (thanks for the tip I would have missed this)

Turned off MAC filtering

Tried to connect via Kaiser, gets to connecting and then does nothing, just shows my network as available and there for the DHCP client list does not confirm the MAC address (but I have found the correct one now)

A couple of factors that may begin to hack me off, it seems the MAC address and the device ID on the phone have changed, so I think I got a replacement as opposed to a repair, maybe the replacement is graded stock and maybe it has a Wi-Fi network issue :D

Just to confirm the wireless router settings are:

Wireless Channel > 9 (no auto option)

Extension Channel > 5

Wireless Mode > 802.11b&802.11g&802.11n

Bandwidth > 20/40MHz

Broadcast SSID > Yes

Protected Mode > OFF

802.11e/WMM QoS > ON

Thoughts, am I missing anything on the router wireless settings ?

Guest jimbouk
Wireless Channel > 9 (no auto option)

Extension Channel > 5

Wireless Mode > 802.11b&802.11g&802.11n

Bandwidth > 20/40MHz

Broadcast SSID > Yes

Protected Mode > OFF

802.11e/WMM QoS > ON

Thoughts, am I missing anything on the router wireless settings ?

1) Have you tried to force the connect, ie click and hold on the SSID in wifi settings on your device and then select connect from the drop down menu?

2) Channel 9 is a little bizarre. As the channels bleed over each other, you have a chance of interference from 6 and 11. I would thus choose 1, 6 or 11.

3) Do you have any wireless N or B devices? If not drop it to G only.

4) QOS is only really worthwhile if there's lots of other wifi activity nearby.

Guest Retronana
1) Have you tried to force the connect, ie click and hold on the SSID in wifi settings on your device and then select connect from the drop down menu?

2) Channel 9 is a little bizarre. As the channels bleed over each other, you have a chance of interference from 6 and 11. I would thus choose 1, 6 or 11.

3) Do you have any wireless N or B devices? If not drop it to G only.

4) QOS is only really worthwhile if there's lots of other wifi activity nearby.

Thanks Jimbouk for the input...I'm beginning to suspect its a duff handset.

Every other item connects fine to the router, 360/PS3/Wii/2 x DS's/2 x PSP's/2 x Laptops, all a combination of b/g/n traffic.

Changed the channel to the three your suggested, nothing happening.

Tried to force to connect as you suggested, not playing ball, tries and then just switches back to avalible again :D

Could if be a firmware issue (its an original HTC phone), the Rom version is 1.56.405.5 ?

I'm not sure if the Kaiser has a log for connection fails, could this be worth a look at ?

Edited by Retronana

Guest jimbouk

I would soft reset the device and restart the router.

There is an illogical wifi problem when devices fail to connect to an access point, they keep failing even when you fix the problem. I have cured hundreds of wifi issues with a router restart.

Guest Retronana
I would soft reset the device and restart the router.

There is an illogical wifi problem when devices fail to connect to an access point, they keep failing even when you fix the problem. I have cured hundreds of wifi issues with a router restart.

Thanks for keeping with me...I'm tempted to bin the bloody thing at the moment, generally I need to soft reset my old Kaiser about once a week, this handset seems to have some major issues on the OS side, it's crashed at 30 times today whilst I've been working on the networking on the device.

Router reset, router scrubbed to factory defaults, router re loaded with settings...it's not playing ball at all.

Nothing really jumps out on the routers security log, at no point does it refuse the request from the DHCP server, it just doesn't get as far as a request, I'm thinking the replacement handset is a dog (I've checked the IMEI and its not the same handset I sent away)

I'm off to the US on business next week and I'm hacked off as I'm going to have to send this phone back again :(

Thanks for the help, the handset let me down, the MoDoCo forum didn't :D

Guest Retronana

Not one to go down without a fight....

I thought I would try hooking up the Kaiser via my "its never been out of the box" BT Home Hub, same result really....just won't connect..

Networking is not my strongest skill, but I didn't see why I couldn't network the Home Hub to the Belkin and then put them in the same IP group and get them each to allocate IP address within separate ranges, got both of them networked together as a plan it could have worked...if the Kaiser could connect to either the Home Hub or the Belkin...it didn't so it was just a dream...

Nice project for a cold Saturday afternoon though...

Guest jimbouk

I wouldnt try to have two dhcp servers on the same subnet.

Sounds like the device is faulty but in the meantime, have you tried turning off all encryption and mac filtering and putting the kaiser on max performance to see if you get a connection?

Guest jimbouk

There are so many reasons why wifi can be problematic. 99% of them can be fixed by restarting the router (illogically) after correcting the settings on both router and device.

Guest pete_thomson

All the replies so far have been spot on.

One thing I would also add is this - most Belkins have a log. Look at the log and see if there is an attempt from the handset to try and associate and if it then sends a DHCP request. to the router.

Also, have you tried the phone on another wireless AP?? Find a public one near you (McDonalds is a good bet) and see if you can attach to that and get an address.

Lastly, do you have any 802.11n equipment (other than the router)? If not you should consider settting the router to 802.11B and G until you do.

I had a F5D8320 set as an access point and if I left it in B/G/N mode then the B/G clients dropped out all the time whilst the N client stayed up fine.

I swapped the single N client for a G client and set the router/ap to B/G only and it was as stable as anything.

Guest Retronana
All the replies so far have been spot on.

One thing I would also add is this - most Belkins have a log. Look at the log and see if there is an attempt from the handset to try and associate and if it then sends a DHCP request. to the router.

Also, have you tried the phone on another wireless AP?? Find a public one near you (McDonalds is a good bet) and see if you can attach to that and get an address.

Lastly, do you have any 802.11n equipment (other than the router)? If not you should consider settting the router to 802.11B and G until you do.

I had a F5D8320 set as an access point and if I left it in B/G/N mode then the B/G clients dropped out all the time whilst the N client stayed up fine.

I swapped the single N client for a G client and set the router/ap to B/G only and it was as stable as anything.

Thanks Pete for the feedback, to answer your questions:

My Belkin does have a log but it doesn't throw any light on the issue, if I assign a static I.P address to the Kaiser (within the same group at the Belkin DHCP range but not one that has already been assigned) it fails to even register on the log on my N1 Router/Modem (Model FD8631-4 v3)

It has four options on wireless modes, N only, G only, Mixed B/G/N and none, I've tried three of them, didn't expect much a result on the forth :D

Not sure setting the router as an AP would work for my set up, I have a few laptops that use shared resources (printer/media hard drive)

I did try the handset with my friends Belkin G router yesterday and it connected just fine, so this problem is not across the board, just on the two I have tried to date (Belkin N1 Router/BT Home Hub)

The phone crashes every time you try to make any changes to the network settings, so I'm pretty sure their is an issue with the handset itself, but before I open a can of whoop ass with HTC on Tuesday I thought I'd better try all avenues first .....

• 7 months later...
Guest CGALVEZ

Well I got the same problem here not Kaiser but Juno... still the same issue, and it only happens with Belkin series of routers... no way to get this thing working... I have connected to several other brand of routers without a single issue...