Charge battery with USB cable

Guest dolpher

Guest Actory
I've had problems with this too. I reckon the phone doesn't charge over USB because the screen is always on (as mentioned in this post earlier) when connected to active sync. Thing is, if you turn the screen off (using power button) then the phone disconnects from active sync and stops charging! It's a no win situation.

I've got round this by installing a programme called ActiveSyncToggle on the PC. It allows you enable/disable active sync. With active sync disabled the phone will charge over USB because the screen dosn't come on when connected to the computer. Of course, the phone dons't sync, but for me that's not an issue as i prefer to sync over GPRS anyway....

Hopefully some of you guys will find this useful.

I had do it as what you said. But it didn't work.

Guest Dennis Ser
I had do it as what you said. But it didn't work.

Actory .. what OS are you running on in your PC? I had the same problem recently and I'm using Win XP SP3 in the office and Vista SP1 at home. I discovered that if you go under Connections tab in Settings, unclick the "Enable advanced network functionality" option in USB to PC, this will ensure the i780 is charged whenever I sync it.

Previously it would only charge on my Vista (running on Windows Mobile Device Centre) while XP (running on version 4.5) would not charge.

Hope this helps.

Guest Juicy_Jaffa
Actory .. what OS are you running on in your PC? I had the same problem recently and I'm using Win XP SP3 in the office and Vista SP1 at home. I discovered that if you go under Connections tab in Settings, unclick the "Enable advanced network functionality" option in USB to PC, this will ensure the i780 is charged whenever I sync it.

Previously it would only charge on my Vista (running on Windows Mobile Device Centre) while XP (running on version 4.5) would not charge.

Hope this helps.

As the rest of you I'm having this charging problem too.

My PC is Vista SP1 (using WMDC) and I've tried the unclicking the "Enable advanced network functionality" option mentioned above and turning the screen off (mentioned earlier in this thread), but all to no avail.

The charger charges the battery quite quickly (more so than other mobiles) so I'm not sure about the 700mA thing (as opposed to USB only offering 500mA) and all of the HTC chargers I've got are all rated at 1A (implying HTC devices need an even more powerfull charge) but all HTC devices charge fine from the USB port.

I have a number of Samsung Windows mobile devices here and all others charge from USB and all of them came with 700mA chargers - More evidence that this is a red herring?

I've also noticed that the individual proprietary USB connection cables supplied with the Samsung devices have different part codes on them (though I can't find one that works!). I have:

Model No.: APCB20UBC, Serial No.: DK1PB07TS G

Model No.: APCB20UBC, Serial No.: DK1P916TS/7-G

Model No.: APCBS10UBN, Serial No.:DW1Q410AS G

When connected from all cables, the i780 says it's charging (though the amount of charge never increases), but as soon as it's disconnected from the PC the amount of charge plummets as if it's not been charging at all. Clearly when connected to the PC the device is taking even more power than usual as it's running software and services that are only used when connected to the PC (USB, TCP/IP etc.).

This is a right royal pain in the butt and the only WM device that I have ever encountered this on (and we have a large number here in the office). It's getting to the point of being worth a call to Samsung!

Andy.

Guest zenkinz

hi guys,

my first post here.

allow me to share with you my observation on the 3 WM 6 and 2 WM 5 phones that I owned in the last 10 months.

In WM5 phones, I never have any problem with charging, be it a sync-and-charge USB cable, or a charge-only cable. I can plug it to a self-powered USB, a USB-based wall charger, a laptop, a USB-based car-charger, and everything charge very well, and the phones did get charged from e.g. 50% to 100%.

However, for all the WM6 phones I come across (Q9h, ipaq 612 and samsung i780), none of them would have the same charging behaviour as what I encountered in the WM5 days.

The following are consistent across all the WM6 phones (standard and professional)

1. Charge+Sync cable will charge the phone only when the laptop is powered on, but very very slowly.

2. ChargE+Sync cable will not charge the phone from the same wall charger, car charger, or self-powered charger that I used previously on WM5 phones. In most cases, the phone would detect a power input, but charge icon never show up.

3. Only charge-only cable can charge from the same wall charger, car charger or self-powered USB port that couldn't charge in the scenario #2.

My take is that for WM6 phones, the charging mechanism is more sensitive to the power cable grade, and assume the same grade of cable is being used for both sync+charge and charge-only cables, the charge-only cable would be able to carry more current with least resistance overall, supplying the necessary power to charge the phone. (imagine a sync+charge has the same amount of copper wires split over 4 pin, versus 2 pin for charge-only cable)

my point? buy a charge-only cable if you want to really charge from any place other than your desktop/laptop.

Guest Metoo
And does it charge your battery when the battery in in het battery charger?

I've tried several USB leads and car adapters but they all work the same as on the PC - i.e. they only put any charge in when the phone is on standby.

In all cases, the red light was on, and WM was indicating it was connected to external power and charging.

But hardly any charge seems to go in at all (I've never achieved the magic green light), and worse still, if GPS is on, the battery drains quite quickly.

Defeats the whole object if you get to your destination and find your phone battery is flat!

The same leads work perfectly on other HTC and i-Mate devices - even with GPS running.

Anyone tried the "official" dedicated car charger lead, or found another lead which will actually top up the Samsung properly while doing in car SatNav?

Edited by Metoo

Guest dolpher
I've had problems with this too. I reckon the phone doesn't charge over USB because the screen is always on (as mentioned in this post earlier) when connected to active sync. Thing is, if you turn the screen off (using power button) then the phone disconnects from active sync and stops charging! It's a no win situation.

I've got round this by installing a programme called ActiveSyncToggle on the PC. It allows you enable/disable active sync. With active sync disabled the phone will charge over USB because the screen dosn't come on when connected to the computer. Of course, the phone dons't sync, but for me that's not an issue as i prefer to sync over GPRS anyway....

Hopefully some of you guys will find this useful.

I solved the problem almost the same way.

In activesync i just switched off "allow USB connections" in "connectionsproperties". Then the phone doesn't sync, but it still charges.

Guest Juicy_Jaffa

In activesync i just switched off "allow USB connections" in "connectionsproperties". Then the phone doesn't sync, but it still charges.

Hmm...I think we're all missing the point here.

Windows Mobile devices charge when connected to USB.

They might charge slowly if there isn't alot of current from the port, but the do carge dather than discharge at an increased rate. If syncing causes the device to drain quickly to the point where you have to disallow that synchronisation then there's something wrong.

I called Samsung support in the UK and they indicated that they had i780's that did charge through USB (albeit sloooowly) and that if the device actually drained through a USB connection then there was a software/device fault and I should get back to my phone supplier (Orange say that they can't be respnsible for USB charging faulty or otherwise - boo)!

Think that if the battery for the device is a 1480mAh and that can run the device for a couple of days (I'm getting 2-3 days of general use between charges and only going to 30-40% battery in between), that would imply that general consumption of power is much less than 500mAh or the battery would be pretty flat pretty quickly under normal use.

It would then follow that when connected to USB that is giving 500mA and the device reports that it is charging it would subsequently allow more processor heavy tasks (like syncing down a USB cable) to take place giving a load on the whole system that is greater than that of normal standby and general use, but do remember that it (thinks it) has an extra 500mA to play with.

However, what I'm seeing is that when you connect the device to USB the battery drains very quickly. I can only assume that though the device says that the battery is charging, it isn't and that the procesor is told that it can go into higer power consumption mode and subsequently the battery drains within a few hours. What I'm saying is that there MUST be a fault in the device that means the 500mA from the USB port isn't being used!

Perhaps that the 500mA is enough to trick the OS into thinking it can charge, but the device actually won't charge unless it has the full 700mA that the charger can offer. The i780 does charge quickly when it's using the mains charger implying it can use the full 700mA but can't charge slowly from USB indicating a shortfallin the charging system - a fault on the device!

Andy.

p.s. sorry for a rambling post, but I knew what I was thinking when I started!

Guest roodyhoo

Nice one dolpher, that's sorted it for me too! Good work!

Guest alfussi

I had this "problem" only the first day. For a reason I can't tell, it did synchronize but it did not charge via the standard-supplied USB Cable.

The next day, surprise, it worked, even when I use the USB Cable at my USB Charger in the car (which I used for another USB-USB cable before, just now with the USB-Samsung cable).

So for me, it works all fine right now. Just bought 2 more such USB-Samsung Cables for travelling.

Have the feeling as if in the very beginning something may have been on the cable which "worked itself off" after a few connects ...?? just a "wild guess"

Greetings

• 5 months later...
Guest ronaldsmartphone

When Wifi is "on" and my phone is connected to the computer via usb than my battery will get empy. Its really strange.

I do not know if you have also this kind of problem when you do this?

It happens only when Wifi is ON.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

Edited by ronaldsmartphone

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be the same problem on the I780 and Omnia. The usb connections from your recaharger and sync cable are slightly different, this is different from the HTC devices and various other mini usb devices.

- Essentially your PC and phone have to have the right drivers to set power to the right pins for charging

- Charging will tend to be slower even on high powered USB ports

- So even if it is working, you can drain faster than you charge.

- "Dumb" usb powers such as those on airplains and USB hubs (especially when not connected to a combiner with activesync or wmdc) will not work.

- People have created USB charging only cables but saudering the right pins together so that the voltage from the USB port appears to come from a charger. This disabled the data cable so you cannot sync. I think that you can oder these or build your own if you know how to solder.

I used to use a "dumb" usb hub plugged into the wall but no computer to charge all of my USB devices at once. Unfortunately this requires the soldered cable.

Planes and many cars have usb inputs. These require the soldered cable.

So if you really want your USB charger to work from any source but not sync, get a special cord off ebay or solder your own. I find this a lot more convient, but that is because I have a lot of USB outlets in convienient places.

Otherwise do what you have to to get it to work on your computer or just use your charger.

Why don't all phones just use a standard mini usb and a wire for audio? Why does everyone have their own propietary standard?

I have an I907, an I900 and a Tytan 2 (don't ask why, I work for Microsoft, we get discounts). (i907 ~= I780)

I love and a I hate every one of them for one reason or another, but ultimately the I907 (I780) is the most practical for business use.

The I900 is the most "fun". The Tytan2 is the most reliable.

Guest Ofir Daniel

this is practically a joke - the device drains out before it completes a sync - I really don;t understand how samsung engineers even release such a unit

I am dying to replace my phone - its packed with features wich altogether fail to work!

iphone 3g - I got you on my radar... :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Guest MGForce

B) I am too surprised with the fact that phone would not actually charge via the usb cable supplied. To put my experience, I purchased the phone in India, within 3 days of purchase I took back the phone to Customer care with the problem. Phone battery was actually discharging after connecting to USB port via active sync. I was using the cable supplied Model No: APCBS10BSE. Customer Care could not solve the problem & finally replaced the phone. But even after replacement the new phone also showed the same behavior. Searching on net reflected that many i780 users have the same problem. I have done a lot of testing on the phone & am able to identify the cause.

Root cause: Phone is actually consuming more power via the active sync that the power drawn from usb. This is because of the back light (screen) & active sync. Any active connection like wireless/GPRS/ Bluetooth worsens the problem. I have tried switching the backlight off using the power button, reducing the brightness, cancelling the activesync on PC so that the phone doesn't synchronize. Every time the charging LED glows & the phone also says charging but the bar never increases & after some time if the cable is disconnected the phone is more discharged. One point worth mentioning is the current delivered by power adapter to charge is 700 mA while the max capacity of a PC USB is 500mA.

Solutions available (as on various forums):

1) Don't use the USB cable for charging, use only the supplied adapter for charging. This is the solution I was provided by samsung customer care. But is not acceptable to me.

2) Some third party cables available in market which has different sync & charging pins. Though I haven't tried them but am mentioning.

3) Disabling the active sync in the phone via the connection settings so that the phone doesn't syn with PC. Using this option the backlight also switches off after the pre defined time. This will charge the battery but at a very slow pace. Tried & found working.

4) Making the cable yourself. I know how to solder but don't know the pin connections of the connectors.

There are various versions of the USB cable available. The base version is APCBS10. But the subsequent three letters are different. I have seen cables with APCBS10UBE, APCBS10BSE. There may be other versions too. I found BSE type working but UBE is not working/charging.

Request other members to provide their cable's model number & whether it is working or not.

But overall I am very annoyed with the charging feature of this Phone. This highly featured phone has such basic defect/ limitation that using it becomes very difficult. I think they Samsung developers must have known this flaw & therefore has provided an additional battery. :(

Trying some more solutions, will update if any thing works. :P

Guest Ofir Daniel

I guess the solution is to sync via T, while we use the USB cable to charge only - i got mine of ebay, it charges only not syncs

But- I haven;t managed to get the BT to sync wether, not sure why, perhaps the modded ROM.

My recomendaiotn, I suggest - take the phone back to the store and replace, this phone is crap!

Guest rammy121
The Synch and Charge cable that comes with the Greek version of the phone does actually both synch AND charge. Tested it yesterday night, plugging the phone with 60% battery and removing it with the battery at 100% this morning. Maybe you are using a laptop PC that does supply enough juice to the USB ports?

do you know what the part number is that you have?? does it end in ube or bbe or is it APCBS10UGE ??

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hartcare

I discovered that using a mains charger from other samsung phones with output ratings of 500mAh will not charge the i780. Thus the problem with the std usb output. If you could draw power from 2 usb ports, then the i780 could charge faster when not in sync.

• 1 year later...