DupeDeDupe - remove duplicate contacts

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Scr0002.jpg
This is a very very very simple application for WM5+ PPC / SP (CF2.0) I rustled up in response to a need to remove duplicate contacts on a device.

It is an EXE only (copy to your device and run), which has a basic GUI which allows you to scan for duplicates, and then choose (after being told your duplicate count) whether to remove them. Contacts are compared based on 'File As', field, 'Email' field and 'Home / Work / Mobile' phone fields. If all those fields match, it's deemed a duplicate.

The application scans my ~200 contacts in under 2 seconds :D

Hope this is useful!

Enjoy, feedback welcomed! If you use the CAB, please consider donating £1 to my 'quidapps' effort to develop cheap, useful applications and tweaks - click here to donate. Donations will be used specifically to buy development tools to enable slicker and more advanced tweaks and applications in the future while retaining a £1 price point!

P

PS If you think it's worthy of me cabbing up, or extending to Calendar support etc., let me know!

[Edit: Now available by request in CAB form with AppToDate support without registration required for download: http://www.apptodate.org/dupededupe.cab]

Scr0002.jpg
This is a very very very simple application for WM5+ PPC / SP (CF2.0) I rustled up in response to a need to remove duplicate contacts on a device.

It is an EXE only (copy to your device and run), which has a basic GUI which allows you to scan for duplicates, and then choose (after being told your duplicate count) whether to remove them. Contacts are compared based on 'File As', field, 'Email' field and 'Home / Work / Mobile' phone fields. If all those fields match, it's deemed a duplicate.

Hope this is useful to someone!

P

PS If you think it's worthy of me cabbing up, or extending to Calendar support etc., let me know!

A cab-file and apptodate support are cool and usefull iterations !

Guest Paul (MVP)

From GearDiary:

Rita El Khoury Says:

Is it just me or will french speaking users of this application have a nice laugh over it’s name?! Hm :D

Judie Lipsett Says:

Rita, I don’t speak French, can you share the joke? :-)

Rita El Khoury Says:

Well “dupe” in french translates into dupe or sucker in english, but is mostly used for someone who has just been fooled/screwed.

And french tend (the last time I checked) to use an “x de x” or “x de chez x” pattern to emphasize, like “idiot de chez idiot” means he’s the biggest idiot EVER.

That means that the name of the application will translate to the biggest sucker ever.

Ok it’s not funny anymore :(

Oops :(

P

Guest Confucious

Just run this and it scanned my 600+ contacts very quickly and found 3 duplicates. I deleted them but would have preferred to have them listed so I could double check them before deleting. But still a very useful app!

Guest ghozd

+1

A list of duplicate contacts before deleting them would be VERY good.

It removed 3 contacts and i do not know which one.....

And extending to calendar is also a very wanted feature...

Edited by ghozd

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hello everyone who's dropping in from links on the various sites! I never thought a util I hacked up for the Mobius group would have so much interest :S

I have a new idea, I am going to make the source code available for everyone on Popfly Explorer but still continue to update it as a 'community project'.

Thoughts?

P

Guest halr9000

Very cool. What would make it more useful to me, if you have the time, is to make the fields it checks for configurable. For example a name only check or name + email would let me fix the incredibly annoying issue when you run Live Messenger and it creates dupes of all your MSN contacts.

Guest nosferatum
Scr0002.jpg

P

[Edit: Now available by request in CAB form with AppToDate support without registration required for download: http://www.apptodate.org/dupededupe.cab]

paul, i been trying to download the file but i cant find the link, i just see the link to the *.cab file, can you help??

i see that there is an attachment () but i dont see it

Edited by nosferatum

Guest bdumch
Calander support would be great

Agreed! My Google/Outlook Sync nearly erased my whole calendar. When I went to resync after a one way sync from Google to Outlook, I got duplicates for ALL my dates instead. Kinda frustrated at the moment.

Guest ZeteBoy

This really worked well. I am impressed. It eliminated 2800 (!) duplicate contacts that I could not spend hours removing.

Great work!!

Colin

Guest happymanth

Thanks for this program.It's help me for delete duplicate, I try and remove over 500 contacts in 1 min. So happy.Wish you try to develope to duplicate calendar remover.I waiting. :D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest kenh

Paul,

excuse my ignorance, but what do i do with the cab file to get dedupe loaded onto my pocket pc? I have downloaded it and extracted all to a file on the computer. I xferred all to my pocket pc and double clicked setup, but it just opened a copy of the code in an explorer window. how can i get it installed?

thanks

ken

Guest kenh
Paul,

excuse my ignorance, but what do i do with the cab file to get dedupe loaded onto my pocket pc? I have downloaded it and extracted all to a file on the computer. I xferred all to my pocket pc and double clicked setup, but it just opened a copy of the code in an explorer window. how can i get it installed?

thanks

ken

Paul,

figured it out...new to pocket pc's.

thx

Guest Confucious

He probably thought that only he, as a total newbie, would not know that you have to copy the cab to your phone and run it there and not extract it on your PC....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Confucious

Great :D syncing with different devices I often end up with duplicates in my calender, being able to automatically clean them will be fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest klhrabosky

I am new to pocket pcs too and sorry, but I have no idea how to add this to my smartphone. Would some one kindly be able to explain it? I have the zip files on my pc desktop, and I do know how to open the phone's hardrive. I am not able to drag the files from the winrar windonw right into the phone's HD folders. What should I do>?

Thank you!

Guest Confucious
I am new to pocket pcs too and sorry, but I have no idea how to add this to my smartphone. Would some one kindly be able to explain it? I have the zip files on my pc desktop, and I do know how to open the phone's hardrive. I am not able to drag the files from the winrar windonw right into the phone's HD folders. What should I do>?

Thank you!

I suggest you start in the absolute beginners section where all is explained.

Guest klhrabosky
It's only for Pocket PC, not Smartphone. (You're in the Pocket PC Software section :D )

"With the introduction of WM6 all mobile phone devices running Windows Mobile are now classed as Windows Mobile powered Smartphones" - according to your beginners section.

This is what I have - a samsung i760 touchscreen running WM 6.1 Am I still in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Guest Confucious

No, if it touchscreen it's what most people refer to as a PPC (despite what the beginners section says :D)

Where you are going wrong is opening the cab with winrar - the cab should be copied to your device and run on there.