Unlocking/Reflashing E650 to S710

Guest gaidelis

Guest gaidelis

I have just bought Orange SPV E650 and want it as HTC S710. and unlocked, because i'm on O2.

I think i found a google-cache of a guide here and it didnt work all the way to the end. Quoting it here just in case:

===========================

How-to: Flash Orange SPV e650 with RUU_Vox_HTC_WWE_1.34.405.1_4.1.13.54_03.10.90_Ship.exe HTC S710 firmware

This guide will do a step-by-step approach to successfully flashing your Orange SPV with the latest HTC S710 firmware upgrade (aka fixing the Invalid Vendor ID problem).

You need to have Winzip and ActiveSync installed to complete this guide.

IMPORTANT: Please follow each step (even if you think it's obsolete) or it will not work.The risk is entirely yours !! Don't blame me if you brick your phone

Reset phone to factory defaults:

Resetting your phone to factory defaults will DELETE ALL contacts information, calendar etc etc. Make sure you have made a backup of this data before proceeding.

1. Make sure your phone is turned OFF.

2. Press and hold soft1 and soft2 keys. (The menu keys above the 1 and 3 keys)

3. Press and hold the power button for around 1 to 1.5 seconds. Then release the power button. But keep holding the soft1 and soft2 keys.

4. The phone boots and asks to press the Send key to restore to factory defaults. Keep the soft1 and soft2 keys pressed and press the Send key (the key with the green phone icon).

The phone will now reboot and will be now reset to factory defaults. This can take a while, be patient. Wait until the phone has fully restarted before proceeding with the next steps.

Unbranding and unlocking the phone

Now it is time to unlock the phone so it will run unsigned applications (which is needed for the actual firmware flashing)

1. Connect the e650 to your pc via active sync

2. Download MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack.PREP.CAB

3. Download MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack_0.5.CAB

4. Download RemoveSecurity.CAB

5. Copy all three CAB files to your phone.

6. Start explorer on your phone and run and install the MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack.PREP.CAB file

7. Next run and install the MoDaCo_SPV_E650_de_Brand___Fix_Pack_0.5.CAB file.

8. Reboot your phone

9. Once your phone is rebooted run and install RemoveSecurity.CAB

10. Reboot your phone.

11. Download SDA_ApplicationUnlock.zip

12. Run the SDA_ApplicationUnlock.exe inside the zip file. You should get a message that your phone has been unlocked.

13. Reboot your phone

Flashing the phone

Now that you have de-branded and unlocked the phone we can start the update process.

1. Remove the SD card from your phone.

2. Connect the e650 to your pc via active sync

3. Download Vox USPL- CID BYPASS.zip

4. Download Vox-USPL-RUU.zip

5. Download RUU_Vox_HTC_WWE_1.34.405.1_4.1.13.54_03.10.90_Ship.exe . This is the new firmware from HTC.

6. Right-click the RUU_Vox_HTC_WWE_1.34.405.1_4.1.13.54_03.10.90_Ship.exe and select extract to here using Winzip. The files should now unpack. Verify that there is a file called RUU_signed.nbh

7. Unzip Vox USPL- CID BYPASS.zip and start uspl_116_jockyw.bat

8. Follow the instructions until you see: now start a MTTY session or use RUU to flash any ROM message.

9. Unzip Vox-USPL-RUU.zip and run ROMUpdateUtility.exe. Click on Next twice. The application will now check your phone. Click on the Update button. Verify that you want to update the rom version:

to: image version vox-USPL :D

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Flashing the rom from an s710 will not sim unlock your phone. IIRC there are no 'free' unlockers for the vox it's going to rush you £20.

M.S

Guest amirsamdani

Great work you have done! Well i have also been doing similar kind of stuff but same error "Invalid Vendor ID".

I will try same exercise you have done tonight and will revert back I have got any success! :D

Guest gaidelis

Ah-ha... One clarification, which makes sense now and how it helped me to finish reflashing. Inbetween steps 8 and 9 - AFTER YOU SEE THE "now start a MTTY session" MESSAGE DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING WHEN THE MESSAGE IS SHOWN. Then just minimize the window and continue to step 9. the file "uspl_116_jockyw.bat" must be running when you execute ROMUpdateUtility.exe extracted from Vox-USPL-RUU.zip. Voila...

Guest amirsamdani
Ah-ha... One clarification, which makes sense now and how it helped me to finish reflashing. Inbetween steps 8 and 9 - AFTER YOU SEE THE "now start a MTTY session" MESSAGE DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING WHEN THE MESSAGE IS SHOWN. Then just minimize the window and continue to step 9. the file "uspl_116_jockyw.bat" must be running when you execute ROMUpdateUtility.exe extracted from Vox-USPL-RUU.zip. Voila...

I have gone through your suggestion but problem is that once "uspl_116_jockyw.bat" is finished and ended up with message "now start a MTTY session or RUU" it also reboots the smartphone so USB connection is lost and I cannot run ROMUpdateUtility.exe! I even restarted phone and tried to run ROMUpdateUtility.exe but utility end up with error 270 - update error (image file is corrupted, please check your update utility).

any more help?

Edited by amirsamdani

Guest bulj

I'm having the exact same issue with my E650, has anyone found a solution to this? I've tried this on 2 seperate machine (WinXp x86 & x64) and after re-installing Activesync 4.5.

Guest amirsamdani
I'm having the exact same issue with my E650, has anyone found a solution to this? I've tried this on 2 seperate machine (WinXp x86 & x64) and after re-installing Activesync 4.5.

I am also waiting for someone to help us :D ...

Guest bulj

Ok I've got this to work. I reinstalled Activesync however, I don't think this is what solved the issue. I tried the whole process again but also installed this (another app unlocker I beleive) just for good measure and rebooted the phone afterwards. I got exactly the same negative result. I then closed RUU & uspl_116_jockyw.bat, rebooted the phone and started up uspl_116_jockyw.bat again and this time when it comes to 'now start a MTTY session or RUU' I see the penguin on the phones screen, the phone closes down and I can complete the flash without errors. I had to do this twice, ie run uspl_116_jockyw.bat twice for each flash (of which there are two!).

I hope you all have the same joy.

Edited by bulj

Guest Confucious

Why don't you guys just flash Dr Gonzo's 6.1 or if you're having problems with Jockyw's stuff why not head over to xda devs where he will be able to help you himself?

Guest dnbware

Hi everyone, i flashed my E650 to the HTC 1.34 ROM and just loved it. It was faster and more stable, too bad it lasted only 3 weeks. My phone doesn't start up anymore and is stuck in the TSOD (Tri Screen of Death, found the quote on other forums :D ). I read that flashing the phone with an original orange rom will help, but....

Orange doesn't post any roms on its website for the E650 (dutch)?!?! does anyone have an original orange E650 dutch ROM? I would really like to unbrick my phone.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest birdibird

Thanx for making the guide!

Some additional comments:

-this procedure does NOT sim unlock your phone. For that contact your provider, or pay someone to do it.

-for some people/brands: you can start at step 11 (application unlock). THAT is the program you need to run the USPL!

the steps before are only necessary if application unlock doesn't work

(some can do with only running removesecurity before running application unlock and don't need debranding)

-step 1-4 to reset your phone is NOT needed, if you flash your phone it starts with the default startup of the ROM anyway

-that you loose the activesync is correct.

just run the rom updater and it will find your phone again

-sometimes the phone jumps out of the linux MTTY screen and resets. don't worry, that happens to many people. Just repeat the last step.

happy reflashing!

ps I can advice to install the WM6.1 v1.1 rom found on XDA.

It is much faster and more stable then the HTC WM6 1.34 rom, and is based on official microsoft releases.

• 1 month later...
Guest mrfixit

hi i had same problem with error 270 appearing!

the solution i used was to flash to original icon set first (on Modaco site)

then once that was working- real easy that bit!---- take out the SIM card! ----

then run the Dr Gonzo 6.1 instructions- worked first time with no sim in- in case it matters mine is an Orange sim and phone

Guest Confucious

Why don't you guys head over to xda-devs where they can explain far better than I can the diff between CID unlocking and SIM unlocking, why you get the 270 error, why the TSOD is miss named (it is by no means death) and hold your hands while you do the process.

Hacking and flashing is what they do there and where all the experts are.

• 1 month later...

Hi I followed the above instructions (I think)

I now have the HTC software installed but the phone is simlocked to Orange still

Dont know what i did wrong

is there a way back

anything i can do

Help please

Guest Confucious

Why do you think you have done something wrong? Flashing a new ROM won't unlock the Simlock, what on earth made you think it would?

Why do you want to go back to the Orange ROM? If you can find a copy, all you have to do is flash it back to your phone.

Why do you think you have done something wrong? Flashing a new ROM won't unlock the Simlock, what on earth made you think it would?

Why do you want to go back to the Orange ROM? If you can find a copy, all you have to do is flash it back to your phone.

Thanks. Sorry

Right so its only a 'Software' unlock, did it late last night, probably read what i wanted to, magic word Unlock!

It was similar to what i did to sim unlock my SPV C550, except i got it software unlocked via the SPV developer forum

Well the instructions were great and it worked brilliantly

so is there a free sim unlock anywhere, or have i got to dig deep in my pockets

Roger

Tried xda-devs wanted 20 euros

thanks anyway

Roger

Ahy don't you do what I suggested before and read up on xda-devs? There is a whole thread on SIM unlocking, I've no idea what the conclusion is.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Antanico

Hi All,

1) Is there any chance to reflash the E650 to latest HTC Vox S710 and then to SIM Unlock it?

2) What is the code name for the E650 in order to download the correct latest firmware from ftp of xda-developers? I browsed the many folder but could not find the correct firmware.

Thanks in Advance

Best regards,

Ant