Mine's going back... Battery is just dire.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just arranged to get my upgrade SPV sent back.

The battery is just useless. Using Media player on the tube for 1 hour a day, about 10 minutes of calls whacks the battery. Never mind using IE.

So, if I go away for a night I have to bring my charger. Useless.

A phone should at least go 3/4 days on fairly heavy use and not die a death. My T68 with it's MP3 attachment manages a sterling job with this.

The SPV is pretty cool, but has too many flaws...

- GPRS disconnects all the time, when you end a call, when you go to standby etc. I assume this is so that they conserve battery life. They need to.

- Software installation. Crippled.

- Keypress buffer non-existant, which is maddening.

There's just too many glitches, and for christs sake... it's a phone... it needs to be rock solid. It isn't... so it's going back.

David

Guest MartinS

My SPV was returned yesterday. The assistant in CPW said that 16 hours battery life was about right in standby :shock: I just laughed and said that was totally unacceptable and could I have a full refund.

Now I really like the handset but the battery is absolutley woeful, and no I didn't expect 150 hours out of the battery 36-48 hours would be more than acceptable. 16 hours after 5-10 minutes call time is dreadful.

i followed the instructions to the letter when i got my spv (charged for 3 hours + before messing with it (still charging) and first day it went flat at about 24 hours with LOTS of video playback to impress people,

second charge it went 2 days, then back to 1.

then after 6 hours off charge and 1 mp3 playback it said turn off or charge, and as i was about to head home i turned it off.....

when i put it on charge, then turned on it was well gummed to the orange sunset screen (taking battery off made no difference, it still showed the sunset even mins later with no battery) i phoned orange on 156 and got really pi**ed with some girl saying i hadnt charged it properly, then that i had overcharged it, finally got told to take it back... yes it was time for a hard reset....

hard reset with a near flat battery has seriously improved battery life (it said it was full after the reset (when it should have been at most 20 percent!!!) so i played the harry potter movie (1st one) and it still has rakes of charge left ??? (says its still got over half, despite being practically empty before the hard reset) this looks like a worthwhile thing to do,, i will post a followup in a while with long term results, but it looks real good so far. :D

i've had batt probs as well, does ahard reset defualt all your settings???

yes that is bAtt not butt..!¬!!..

and what settings> frame rate-key frame -bit rate-KBPs- file extension are u using...and how much memory does harry take on your card?????

kmon....

trying to get thru the bugs.....

Guest Honest John

And I thought it was just me! :?

I referred my less than 24 hour battery life to Orange. Got replies of

"You need to charge it for 16 hours"

"You need to charge it for 3 hours"

"It comes fully charged"

Take your pick.

They ran a diagnosis and have sent a new battery. I am not hopeful, having read the preceding comments.

But if you want a laugh, the battery you get is the standard battery. Apparently, at extra cost, you can get a slim-line battery. Of course, being slim line, you don't get as long a battery life.......................... Is someone having a laugh?

It wouldn't be so bad if the battery itself could be charged off-phone like the Samsung, but not so.

It is a great shame, as the phone itself is the best I have seen for Outlook Sync, the main reason I got it. If anyone knows a better phone for that or one that is at least as good, please let me know. (I want to stay with Orange).

A big thank you to the Forum guys. Much appreciated.

Guest spacemonkey

WARNING: This is all unsubstantiated rumor and hypothesis that I just made up.

Anyway, it seems that the single biggest issue (and the one that will be hitting orange in the returns department) with this phone is battery life, but it's not as simple as that as a lot of people seem to be having "strange" behaviour with their battery. Which leans more in the direction of some firmware problem with regards to battery level indicators (especially as the phone tells you to switch it off when it gets low).

Add to this the various rumors that part of the out of stock issue is actually related to an orange recall I think that orange is probably desperately trying to fix this.

The fact that in some circumstances people are getting sensible (2 days of normal use) behaviour which matches up to the ratings suggest that the battery itself in terms of charge life etc is probably good.

So when it's fixed I would imagine that the firmware will also be made available to people who already have the phone not just the next round of buyers.

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Just my guess work anyway....

Monkey

Guest ashes01

Hey Monkey to quote:

Add to this the various rumors that part of the out of stock issue is actually related to an orange recall I think that orange is probably desperately trying to fix this.

nah they got nicked from heathrow all 1400 of em...

no recalls cos theres no damned stock anywhere lol

laters

This is a pretty serious issue really. We have 8 devices and none of them have charging issues. They are in use testing all day and only have to be charged every other day.  

We are all head scratching at the moment. It is defiantely leaning towards a firmware issue.

I read this as: you're using the SPV all day for two days, before you charge? I don't know how.

I have to be up very early for work so my phone IS my alarm (or at least the Nokia's excellent alarm has been.) I can turn the 6210 off and it'll wake itself, and then me.

The SPV *has* to be on. If I don't want a call to wake me, it has to be off. And even if it's silent, it has to be on charge, because I was wasting 8 hours standby doing nothing.

So firmware or not, it was an issue.

If you work for either MS or O, please keep scratching your head.

Guest Treadsoftly
The only factor you mention which is different to us is that we dont put them on charge overnight. We only charge them when they need it and nearly always whilst we are using them. The 2 I personally use usually need charging at least once each during the week.

That's astonishing peformance!

I only wish I got anywhere NEAR approaching that.

:D :evil:

Guest PolarBear

The first couple of days few days I had my SPV I was using it as a PDA and phone and it needed charging every other day. I put the SD card in a left it in and by mid afternoon I was down to the last segment of battery. I had the SD card out last night and forgot to put it back in today, and I seem to have half a battery left. So quick straw poll. Of the people with dire battery life who's got a SD card in ? Fulkrum and any one else with good battery life are you SD free ?

Guest MrSpoons

mines gone back today

bit of a shame really as I quite liked the phone itself, but being as i'm on call overnight I need the battery to last a bit longer than the 20-24 hours I was getting on it. (I realise I could have plugged the phone in next to my bed but when the phone goes at 3 or 4 in the morning the last thing I need to worry about is unplugging it :D )

and then there was the certification thing as well but the less said about that the better.................

Guest sbsdegb1

Mine has been on all day. I have done a bit of surfing and made 6 calls and received 1.

According to my display the phone still has a full charge.

So not too dire....

I have noticed that when I have heavy GPRS usage and MSN and media player that the battery does go down a bit but I have never had it go below half charge on any given day, and believe me my SPV has had some hammer these past 2 weeks.

Anyway its other people who are causing my battery to go down coz they all want to look at it / play with it/ caress it..... Think you get the picture.

Anyway it can't be compared to a 6210 as I have seen before. It has a colour screen, plays MP3's etc etc.... Its more than just a phone...

Anyone know if I can get a car charger for it... Tried my nokia one but it doesn't fit into the adapter. Probably good jopb as it might have knacker my phone.