The 'HTC 6th May Product Launch' coverage post (now with official specs)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Syphon Filter

Oh, tell you what.

Paul you mention that the buttons on the face have a physical click. This is great to hear. My other half has a samsung phone at the moment with touch sensitive controls and often she finds them TOO sensitive and ends up dialing/hanging up calls and what not when she does not intend to do those actions.

Guest shootydogthing

^give the man (or woman) a medal^

it's a good point, how easy are they to activate?

Edited by shootydogthing

Guest Syphon Filter
^give the man (or woman) a medal^

it's a good point, how easy are they to activate?

Like I said, I think Paul mentioned they have a physical click as opposed to a touch sensitive thing. So it should be ok.

It's "man" by the way :D

Guest shootydogthing

I didn't wanna say man and have a female yelling at me, that was all :D

But according to the internet their capacitive touch... Hmm. So they require pressure?

Guest Syphon Filter

You know what, with the release of this device (and other recent devices aka: Touch, Kaiser,Touch Dual), the most impressive thing is not the devices themselves, but more watching HTC evolve as a company.

Since the days of the first SPV and the original O2 XDAs things have changed a lot. Doing away with some partnerships (i-mate/q-tek for example), the release of the Touch, Touch Dual, the HTC today screen plugin, these have all be massive landmarks in the development of HTC as a company. All within the last 2.5 years?

Now the Diamond comes along...again HTC have reached a landmark. People slate them for this and that, the driver issue, not being competitive with the iPhone, but I call BS on all that. HTC are doing great things and it's good to see them developing.

EDIT:

Another thing they did which will help their public image a lot is update their website!! About bloody time and a pretty good job too.

EDIT 2:

On the Diamond, the hard buttons to access the browser and the messaging applicatiosn are gone, Paul any opinions/thoughts on this?

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Alkali

God, i am dissapointed! I thought this device has no stylus and works similar or even better than the iphone.I still wants some clarification on whether the phone attracks thumb prints or not.This is very important to me!

Since it comes with the stylus, can i pack it and use fingers only?

Guest Syphon Filter
God, i am dissapointed! I thought this device has no stylus and works similar or even better than the iphone.I still wants some clarification on whether the phone attracks thumb prints or not.This is very important to me!

I think the phone will be as prone to fingerprints as say the iPhone, PSP or Playstation 3, so you're SOL on that one.

The stylus...it does have a stylus...but it looks to me like the UI has been mostly tailored for finger usage. BUT, being a WinMo device, what about your 3rd party apps? I am guessing a good few of those will still require stylus usage? What's the dealio with that?

Guest shootydogthing
I think the phone will be as prone to fingerprints as say the iPhone, PSP or Playstation 3, so you're SOL on that one.

The stylus...it does have a stylus...but it looks to me like the UI has been mostly tailored for finger usage. BUT, being a WinMo device, what about your 3rd party apps? I am guessing a good few of those will still require stylus usage? What's the dealio with that?

Hmm. it's fingerprint prone, but the case cleans it for you automatically as you slide in and out.

And the stylus is there for a very good reason. as far as the HTC apps are concerned it's not needed (or it shouldn't be, unless you have MASSIVE fingers) but it's there for handwriting and for third-party apps.

Face it, if it wasn't there hundreds of people would be complaining. It's there. You don't have to use it, as far as HTC programs are concerned. It's just an option for those who want it, if you don't want it don't use it!

Guest richair
The Dual version will be MUCH later I understand. I imagine it will hit all UK networks pretty quickly, they'll all want to get it out ASAP...

Paul, why do you think it will be MUCH later? Did anyone mention that at the event yesterday?

You reckon 'much later' will be half a year to a year? In that case I might not wait and buy a new device now on a one year contract. Thanks

Guest Alkali
Hmm. it's fingerprint prone, but the case cleans it for you automatically as you slide in and out.

And the stylus is there for a very good reason. as far as the HTC apps are concerned it's not needed (or it shouldn't be, unless you have MASSIVE fingers) but it's there for handwriting and for third-party apps.

Face it, if it wasn't there hundreds of people would be complaining. It's there. You don't have to use it, as far as HTC programs are concerned. It's just an option for those who want it, if you don't want it don't use it!

Thanks shooty.My G.Ma said to say thanks you & the Jasjar still waits for you :D :(

Guest fraktal

Wow! It's pritty! The UI looks amazing, but from PointUI and Opera Mini I'm used to instant feedback from sliding, rather than "slide, wait, reaction". I think I'd find that really annoying - to the point where it would be the deal-breaker on this otherwise awesomely thought-out device.

(Also - do telecom companies have NO idea of style?! O2 totally uglified the back of it, and Orange's version of the UI removes all the good bits! The first thing I'd do would be to install an HTC ROM!)

Guest xorangefirex

I'm absolutely shocked and upset at the lack of screen rotation for all apps (especially text apps). I cannot believe they would both putting in the accelerometer purely for their UI and nothing else. It is indeed a great little device with quite a lot to off, but w/o full screen rotation for text apps it falls flat in the same area as the iPhone (though obviously not ALL the areas of the iPhone). Also, to be honest, I would have liked to see the 2mm thicker chassis with a microSDHC drive. I'm sure other would agree that this is a fine sacrifice to make, though of course not all would agree. In this capacity I think they were trying to match the iPhone's size at any cost. Any thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Yeah Shooty i can do that for a friend.Only condition you buy back my Jasjar off my grandmother :D

On a serious note 1.Is the new device thumb print magnet?I promise not to buy anything like that no matter how good 2. A stupid question,I do hope there is no stylus?

It is, and there is.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Sorry for butting in like this, but I have a question:

Does the Diamond have a removable battery? The reason I ask is that I cannot see anything that appears to be a battery cover or battery cover release...it would be very un-HTC-like not to have a removable battery, but I want to ask nonetheless.

The only thing I can figure is that the battery cover is the entire back of the phone which must slide off somehow...any confirmation?

Yes it does, the back slides off.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
You know what, with the release of this device (and other recent devices aka: Touch, Kaiser,Touch Dual), the most impressive thing is not the devices themselves, but more watching HTC evolve as a company.

Since the days of the first SPV and the original O2 XDAs things have changed a lot. Doing away with some partnerships (i-mate/q-tek for example), the release of the Touch, Touch Dual, the HTC today screen plugin, these have all be massive landmarks in the development of HTC as a company. All within the last 2.5 years?

Now the Diamond comes along...again HTC have reached a landmark. People slate them for this and that, the driver issue, not being competitive with the iPhone, but I call BS on all that. HTC are doing great things and it's good to see them developing.

EDIT:

Another thing they did which will help their public image a lot is update their website!! About bloody time and a pretty good job too.

EDIT 2:

On the Diamond, the hard buttons to access the browser and the messaging applicatiosn are gone, Paul any opinions/thoughts on this?

I agree, HTC have really evolved. Look at the strength they have created for their consumer brand in only a short space of time, and how they are continuing to grow, it's impressive.

re: the keys, I like having lots of hardware keys TBH so it's not to my taste in that aspect, I can see why they have done it tho with the design language they are setting out. As I mentioned above, if nothing else, I think the lack of dedicated camera button is a real omission.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

You could do, but behind TouchFlo 3D you still have the raw power of WinMo, which means you may want to use the stylus sometimes.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, why do you think it will be MUCH later? Did anyone mention that at the event yesterday?

You reckon 'much later' will be half a year to a year? In that case I might not wait and buy a new device now on a one year contract. Thanks

Just 'what I hear'. Nobody mentioned either the Raphael or Titanium at the event of course. I think the Raphael will come first, and the Titanium later.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Wow! It's pritty! The UI looks amazing, but from PointUI and Opera Mini I'm used to instant feedback from sliding, rather than "slide, wait, reaction". I think I'd find that really annoying - to the point where it would be the deal-breaker on this otherwise awesomely thought-out device.

(Also - do telecom companies have NO idea of style?! O2 totally uglified the back of it, and Orange's version of the UI removes all the good bits! The first thing I'd do would be to install an HTC ROM!)

Agreed, O2's ver is real ugly. The Orange UI didn't look TOO bad actually...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I'm absolutely shocked and upset at the lack of screen rotation for all apps (especially text apps). I cannot believe they would both putting in the accelerometer purely for their UI and nothing else. It is indeed a great little device with quite a lot to off, but w/o full screen rotation for text apps it falls flat in the same area as the iPhone (though obviously not ALL the areas of the iPhone). Also, to be honest, I would have liked to see the 2mm thicker chassis with a microSDHC drive. I'm sure other would agree that this is a fine sacrifice to make, though of course not all would agree. In this capacity I think they were trying to match the iPhone's size at any cost. Any thoughts? Agree or disagree?

They designed the device to be mainly used in portrait, and talked about how text input onscreen works best in portrait mode etc. etc. I personally think the rotation should have been system wide too, hopefully we (as developers) can hook into the sensor and just implement it ourselves :D

P

Guest crafty
Hi to everybody

I don't see or read anything yet about profiles in this new TouchFLO 3D.

Did you notice anything about it, Paul?

Regards from Portugal.

Lino Oliveira

Check out the end of this video:

On the settings tab, pressing the 'Sound' option brings up the following profile-ish screen (sorry about blurry screen grab):

post-3165-1210234255_thumb.png

Guest maks  pain

Hi,

can someone confirm this device can capture video in VGA mode like SEXPeria?

Really hope they make it..

If not better wait for Xperia..

more capacity battery, keyboard, wvga screen, microSD slot, flash & vga recording...hmmm..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.