HTC Photo/video album annoyance (and others) !! Help plz

Guest Dee1707

Guest Dee1707

Hi

The new HTC touch duals photo album is a really good feature that I enjoy using (finger scrool, zoom, rotate etc) but the fact that when you go to use it you can't select a sub folder within the DCIM means you have to go though all the photos you have added which is a real annoyance. I end up just using the the standard windows picture viewer which is a step backwards and makes the functionality useless.

Does anyone know how I could simply choose a sub folder before using the HTC photo album. I have heard the suggestion of moving the specific folder that I want to view into the DCIM folder before I want to use it, but this just doesnt flo (excuse the pun) and is a bit anal.

Sometimes these features are great but whats the point if you cant use them properly, they just become a gimmic and I hope this doesnt get transfered to the new diamond as once again it will prove useless.

Another couple of issues are you cant select multiple pictures to beam to friends but have to do it one at a time, when you get a text/missed call etc the led doesnt flash in a certain colour or just flash at all so you have to keep switching the screen on to see if you have receieved anything.

The video album is another one where sub folders would be usefull and where windows media files could be shown too rather than going through a windows media player which also only uploads a library list of everything you have on the phone.

Any help or suggestions telling me that I'm an idiot and I should be doing things like this or that would be really much apprectiated.

Windows phones have come a long way but here is still this mish mash of little problems with the added problem that windows make the phone but then cant make a user friendly/interactive navigation system so HTC get invloved to overlap their system on top of an already buggy sytem at times is helpfull but not a complete package. Why cant these guys all put their heads togther and just come up with one plyable system.

I'm sure with time we will get there. I suppose if there wasnt a problem you would never purchase a new phone so it works in the phone manufacturers favour.

Cheers :D

Dee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dee1707

Well I suppose nobody knows a trick to make this work. Apparently the guys at HTC dont know or care about the problem either as there is no sub folder selection on the new HTC diamond too :D

Guest Griff_FFOC

Looks like it just acts like a DigiCamera using the DCIM100 folder. Unfortunately i've no idea on how to make it use sub folders. How about finding a 3rd party app to manage your photos. I'd expect there may be a way to then change the app that that launches from the "Photo" option on the cube?

Guest Dee1707
Looks like it just acts like a DigiCamera using the DCIM100 folder. Unfortunately i've no idea on how to make it use sub folders. How about finding a 3rd party app to manage your photos. I'd expect there may be a way to then change the app that that launches from the "Photo" option on the cube?

I have used resco photo viewer which is better than Microsofts but still lacks the interactive function that HTC photo album has such as finger zoom, rotate and scroll. Its such a shame that the programme is there but I cant get to the photos I want. You can edit the cube to link it to resco for example, but thats not whats bothering me it just that having great options such as the HTC album are made into a gimmick when it only have usable and there needs to be a balance with form over function as whats the point if it looks great but cant function like you would like.

Guest l3v5y
I have used resco photo viewer which is better than Microsofts but still lacks the interactive function that HTC photo album has such as finger zoom, rotate and scroll. Its such a shame that the programme is there but I cant get to the photos I want. You can edit the cube to link it to resco for example, but thats not whats bothering me it just that having great options such as the HTC album are made into a gimmick when it only have usable and there needs to be a balance with form over function as whats the point if it looks great but cant function like you would like.

There are some cabs floating around with the sub folder option I think...

Guest Dee1707
There are some cabs floating around with the sub folder option I think...

Links would be appriciated as I'm having trouble finding any.

Thanks in advance :D

Guest Dee1707
I think this thread over at XDA-Devs may help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=344533

Thanks for that link, I did scan over it as it is 68 pages long and didnt find anything apart from the hack for the new HTC photo album which I already have.

All this can be so long winded at times (fixing bugs, waiting for hacks and little fixes etc), shame that windows wont build a phone and OS from the ground up like Apple. Not to say Apples devices are anywhere near perfect either but their capabilities are starting to be more and more appealing (3g, 16gb internal memory, A-gps, Micrsoft exhange, new SDK system not to mention the ease of navigation and yes sub folder options etc) than the half jobs that MS with an overlayered HTC interface offer.

Guest l3v5y
Thanks for that link, I did scan over it as it is 68 pages long and didnt find anything apart from the hack for the new HTC photo album which I already have.

All this can be so long winded at times (fixing bugs, waiting for hacks and little fixes etc), shame that windows wont build a phone and OS from the ground up like Apple. Not to say Apples devices are anywhere near perfect either but their capabilities are starting to be more and more appealing (3g, 16gb internal memory, A-gps, Micrsoft exhange, new SDK system not to mention the ease of navigation and yes sub folder options etc) than the half jobs that MS with an overlayered HTC interface offer.

Okay... So you've been brain washed by Apple marketing... 3G has been on WM devices for years, A-GPS and now E-GPS have been on WM devices since they first came out. WM5 has supported pushe eMail through an exchange server since AKU2.2, WM has had multiple SDKs released, with multiple frameworks and libraries and is far easier to deploy applications from (no signing by MS, multiple places to put the apps etc...), and the Diamond has a better screen, IMHO a better UI, and it can take videos and send MMS... Anyway, enough iPhone ranting...

At least with WM there is the possibility to fix M$s mistakes unlike with Apple products...

I'd guess that HTC Album doesn't do what you want it to then...

Guest Dee1707
Okay... So you've been brain washed by Apple marketing...

Its not a question of their marketing and I totaly agree with your comments on the hardware that is going to be put into their 3G phone being behind the mark of models of MS Phones that have been around for a while. There is however no doubting their fluid OS and I cant help but think MS enabled phones could be built from the ground up to make them more functional or in co-op with HTC so the small niggles could be ironed out. The new Diamond looks great but there are already comments saying that the whole HTC UI that sits on top the MS one lags and isnt a close to how fluid the iphone's is (sure the screen is better, full GPS etc etc but what use is it if you cant get through the UI logically). I own a MAC and a PC laptop and if I had the choice I would choose to keep the PC due to a lot of things (especially that autodesk doesnt make apps for the mac) but I would be sad to loose the Mac condidering that my PC laptop has been replaced twice in the same time as I have had the one mac! I just want the best of both worlds at least in my phone where MS have had so much time to get it right.

Oh and talking of taking videos, have you seen the HTC duals video quality!!! Its not much to make a comment about, I think its 15fps which is so low considering how new the phone is.

Edited by Dee1707