MDA Vario IV pics and specs

Guest CongoJoe

Guest smartmove08
ive used that in the past, was defaulted to on - ive tried different roms, ive pretty much tried everything. ive managed to get edge recently which was a suprise. most of the time i only get gprs. most of the time tbh, it connects to 3g but no pages load - i have to manually disconnect, then try again, usually 3 or 4 times before i get a connection that works.

im mostly disapointed because i picked this device because of the good specs and managed to convince myself it would be worth it despite the QVGA - but im not getting the benefit of the fast cpu or the decent ammount of ram.

even if i got hsdpa - would i really benefit? browsing is awful even over wifi - ive truely lost patience with this. maybe the vario iv is the solution but im not hopeful with HTC devices anymore.

Sounds like the exact same problem I was having. I couldnt work out for ages and tried various different roms until I finally decided to change the radio rom and bingo, everything working perfectly again and getting hsdpa connections. Migh be worth you looking into :D

Guest CongoJoe

Link

htc-touch-pro-official-00.jpg

htc-touch-pro-official-03.jpg

Specs!

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201A™ 528 MHz

Operating System Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional

Memory ROM: 512 MB

RAM: 288MB

Dimensions 102 mm (L) X 51 mm (W) X 18.05 mm (T)

Weight 165 g (with battery)

Display 2.8-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with VGA resolution

Network HSDPA/WCDMA:

Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz

Up to 384 kbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Tri-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

Europe/Asia: 900/1800/1900 MHz

(Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)

Device Control TouchFLO™ 3D

Touch-sensitive navigation control

Keyboard Slide-out 5-row QWERTY keyboard

GPS GPS and A-GPS ready

Connectivity Bluetooth® 2.0 with EDR

Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g

HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0, audio jack, and TV Out* in one)

Camera Main camera: 3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus and flash light

Second camera: VGA CMOS color camera

Audio Built-in microphone, speaker and FM radio with RDS

Ring tone supported formats:

MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, WAV, and AMR-NB

40 polyphonic and standard MIDI format 0 and 1 (SMF)/SP MIDI

Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion or Lithium-ion polymer battery

Capacity: 1340 mAh

Talk time:

Up to 397 minutes for WCDMA

Up to 485 minutes for GSM

Standby time:

Up to 503 hours for WCDMA

Up to 406 hours for GSM

Video call time: Up to 201 minutes for WCDMA

(The above are subject to network and phone usage.)

Expansion Slot microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)

AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz

DC output: 5V and 1A

* HTC TV Out cable needed.

Edited by CongoJoe

Guest theroadwarrior

Looking at the pictures on the site someone linked, i cant see a MicroSD slot- i wonder if its under the battery like some of the O2 phones? Will be a bit of a pain if so!

(Still getting one tho!)

Guest Syphon Filter
Looking at the pictures on the site someone linked, i cant see a MicroSD slot- i wonder if its under the battery like some of the O2 phones? Will be a bit of a pain if so!

(Still getting one tho!)

All the pics on the HTC site look like renders. It'll be there on the real thing I would assume? Saying that on my TyTN II, after I put my SDHC card in I think I've taken it out all of 3 times since I've had the device.

I would also be interested in a group buy, I'm not too far into an 18 month contract and would toss my Vario 3 up on ebay or sell it to a colleague in a hurry to pick up one of these beauties. Not likely I'm going to be able to get one discounted through T-Mobile mid-contract though?

Guest Syphon Filter
I would also be interested in a group buy, I'm not too far into an 18 month contract and would toss my Vario 3 up on ebay or sell it to a colleague in a hurry to pick up one of these beauties. Not likely I'm going to be able to get one discounted through T-Mobile mid-contract though?

No chance. I'm going to Ebay my TyTN II.

Guest richair

How does the 'directional control' work on the Diamond/Raphael? It looks like a round thingy, but is an iPod like touchwheel, or a standard d-pad like input device?

Guest l3v5y
How does the 'directional control' work on the Diamond/Raphael? It looks like a round thingy, but is an iPod like touchwheel, or a standard d-pad like input device?

Acts sortof like the iPod click wheel... You can click it to make it behave like a D-Pad, or move around it to make it zoom in/out in certain apps.

Guest shootydogthing

Grrr. Why make it the Touch Pro rather than the Touch Diamond Pro? Touch Pro sounds like a a direct successor to the Touch... which this ISN'T.

But... 288MB RAM!!! *drools*

Ouch, September is a long wait for something so shiny... I wish they wouldn't announce these things so early. I'm definitely up for the HTC branded Touch Pro, the T-Mobile version is, as usual, ugly as hell. The Touch Pro coupled with a 16gb SDHC card will replace both my Vario 3 and iPod which will get ebayed to fund it or handed down to my fairer half.

I wish they'd announce a price so I had a target to hit, I can't imagine it being less than £400.

Paul, bring on the multi-buy! Puuuhllleeaaasse!

Oh, and does anyone want to buy a Vario 3? Ha!

Guest Ovie
Ouch, September is a long wait for something so shiny... I wish they wouldn't announce these things so early. I'm definitely up for the HTC branded Touch Pro, the T-Mobile version is, as usual, ugly as hell. The Touch Pro coupled with a 16gb SDHC card will replace both my Vario 3 and iPod which will get ebayed to fund it or handed down to my fairer half.

I wish they'd announce a price so I had a target to hit, I can't imagine it being less than £400.

That's what I'm talking about out! :D

Guest Syphon Filter

I'm betting it will be around the £500 at least. The device looks awesome. Also it's got an FM tuner! That's a nice little bonus...

Guest Mike1002

Don't suppose anyone knows if the back is similar to the diamond, e.g. with the diamond looking shape going on, kind of looks like that in post #102, but just wonderin if anyone knows.

Cheers, Mike.

EDIT: Had a bit of a look around at some pics, and it looks like it does :D

Edited by Mike1002

I'm betting it will be around the £500 at least. The device looks awesome. Also it's got an FM tuner! That's a nice little bonus...

Unfortunately you're probably right, wishful thinking would place it at £399 and outright dreaming would place it at £3.99

I'm not big on FM radio so the tuner isn't an issue for me, in fact there's no specific feature in the Touch Pro that appeals to me- it's just everyone in the office has Kaisers now and, even though I was the first, it's a common-as-muck gadget and I've lost the technological edge, yuck!

Yes... I am a Mac user, Haha!

No Touch Pro forum yet?

Guest l3v5y
It's not quite as obvious, there's less triangles than on the diamond lol

I reckon there'll be one without the Diamond stuff (T-Mo branded one doesn't have it) a bit like there's the Diamond, and the HTC Victor (which doesn't have the weird stuff).

Guest xerxes
Don't forget you only get HSDPA on tmob with WnW+ and Max, not on the standard £7.50 package...

I'm on the £7.50 standard package and I get HSDPA all the time on my N95 and my Blackjack.

Guest djboo
I'm on the £7.50 standard package and I get HSDPA all the time on my N95 and my Blackjack.

i just put the sim from my usb dongle (wnw max) into my tytn2 - hsdpa off the bat. so its not the tytn2's fault, but tmobile who swore blind it was enabled. time for a very angry call.

Guest Christopher Woods

You probably have HSDPA on WnW Basic because - like me - you signed up more than a year ago, and you rang up and asked for HSDPA to be enabled on your account. However, if you ring up and renew your tariff - even if you keep the exact same tariff - you will lose the HSDPA as you'll be moved onto their new billing system, which won't allow HSDPA to be provisioned even if you get through to a sympathetic member of the (real) technical support. You HAVE to be on WnW Plus or Max for HSDPA now. Fortunately I was smiled upon by the gods and given an upgrade :D but it was a real kick in the teeth when I renewed.

If you want to keep HSDPA the easiest (hassle-free) way, DON'T ring them up for a renewal deal or to arrange a better contract when your existing contract ends - just keep on paying on a rolling month-by-month basis, and you will stay on the old billing system. That is, unless you want protracted discussions with T-Mobile and a lengthy email to Customer Relations explaining your displeasure at the change of situation. :(

Does anyone know if the X1 is any good at still images and video recording? I think it's all guess work right now until either of these phones are actually out there in people's hands. Given that there's no difference in resolution between this and the Kaiser, I wouldn't imagine there's any great difference, but it all depends on the software really.

I believe that unfortunately the X1 and Touch Pro cameras will be the same as the Kaiser. I do not think the photo's quality has much to do with software. Software can enhance quality a bit, but the main problem seems to be the small and cheap lenses. This, the good lens, is what makes the Cybershot phones and Nokias with Zeiss lens so much better than HTC phones in photos. And it seems that this will not change in the near future. It is a shame. That's for me the weakest point in the Kaiser and it looks like it will be as well in these upcoming phones.

Guest Christopher Woods
I believe that unfortunately the X1 and Touch Pro cameras will be the same as the Kaiser. I do not think the photo's quality has much to do with software. Software can enhance quality a bit, but the main problem seems to be the small and cheap lenses. This, the good lens, is what makes the Cybershot phones and Nokias with Zeiss lens so much better than HTC phones in photos. And it seems that this will not change in the near future. It is a shame. That's for me the weakest point in the Kaiser and it looks like it will be as well in these upcoming phones.

My thoughts on the cameras are similar to yours - I was somewhat curious when my housemate (who knows a LOT of "useless" facts about almost everything!) told me that SonyEricsson were often only LICENCING the right to use the Carl Zeiss name on their own devices... So in fact, it's possibly a Sony CCD and Sony optics. Scary, huh? You can never be 100% sure exactly what you're paying for these days.

My thoughts on the cameras are similar to yours - I was somewhat curious when my housemate (who knows a LOT of "useless" facts about almost everything!) told me that SonyEricsson were often only LICENCING the right to use the Carl Zeiss name on their own devices... So in fact, it's possibly a Sony CCD and Sony optics. Scary, huh? You can never be 100% sure exactly what you're paying for these days.

At least Sony optics are way better than HTC's. My wife has a small Cybershot Phone with the same 3.2 MPixels of my Kaiser and the difference in photo quality is astounding (not to speak of the Xenon flash!). I don't understand why HTC does not put some quality lenses/camera on their phones. They are not cheap phones at all, and the size does not seem to be a problem (Diamond and Touch Pro specs are pretty similar, it seems to be a waste of hardware space if their difference in thickness is mostly/only the keyboard). And now the have pixels enough for good photos.

Also the argument that they are just business phones does not seem good. Business users like to travel lightly in terms of gadgets. A good cell camera means one less gadget (the camera) with the possibility of taking some photos in your spare time. My two cents.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.