I took it apart!

Guest hagie92

Guest konker
I dont think this would be possible because you would have 2 cards using one port. Of course this hasn't been tested, but it would be like trying to read 2 CD's with one CD player. It would be easy to solder the thing inside the device, but the best possibility is to have a incorporated hardware switch that could just turn the WIFI card off so you could then just use the microSD slot and not have both running at the same time. Also, Spectec isn't a company very notable about their service or driver support, and I don't even know if their drivers would work with WM 6 or 6.1 standard. (I think they were made for the Professional Edition, WM 2003 edtion, that is... :D) Now, I do think it would be possible to get it working, even if you had to write a driver for the card, but as far as plausible or probable, I don't know.

Hope it helps,

hagie92

Why is it that Spectec manufactured a different SDW-822 MiniSD card for the Motorola Q8/9?

The specs looked in everyway the same as the standard SDW-822 card that I bought.

In the instructions, it even stated that the drivers is compatible with the Moto Q8/09 models listed (http://www.spectec.com.tw/sdw822-moto.htm).

I would assume that the drivers for both are the same but perhaps Spectec packaged the card for the Motorola Q8/9 as a special accessory deal with Motorola.

This leads me to think that the same drivers are compatible to current WM6.x Std devices.

I downloaded the WM6 drivers for the MotoQ & installed it on my WM6.1 Std Startrek.

The installer did not indicate that it is not designed for WM6.x Std OS.

In the Add/Remove program menu, I see a new "Moto Q WM6 Driver" entry.

Edited by konker

Guest Sed8ed
Why is it that Spectec manufactured a different SDW-822 MiniSD card for the Motorola Q8/9?

The specs looked in everyway the same as the standard SDW-822 card that I bought.

In the instructions, it even stated that the drivers is compatible with the Moto Q8/09 models listed (http://www.spectec.com.tw/sdw822-moto.htm).

I would assume that the drivers for both are the same but perhaps Spectec packaged the card for the Motorola Q8/9 as a special accessory deal with Motorola.

This leads me to think that the same drivers are compatible to current WM6.x Std devices.

I downloaded the WM6 drivers for the MotoQ & installed it on my WM6.1 Std Startrek.

The installer did not indicate that it is not designed for WM6.x Std OS.

In the Add/Remove program menu, I see a new "Moto Q WM6 Driver" entry.

To be honest, I havent treid it out. It seems so simple...buy the adapter, buy the wifi card, stick them in and apply drivers and see if it works......but the $100.00 barrier is still there. Considering the adapter is easy to acquire I wouldnt even bother breaking out the soldering iron....it's a simple slot and try option. Worse case scenario is that the card has to be listed on ebay and youll have an adapter you use occasionally to hook up a standard mini-SD card to.....for whatever reason lol.

Would love to see someone give it a crack...I have just purchased my MSI Wind Netbook and it'll be here tomorrow hopefully. Then I'll be able to join all the Advent owners over in another thread....more MODACO..yay!!! but for now I'm broke....

Guest konker
To be honest, I havent treid it out. It seems so simple...buy the adapter, buy the wifi card, stick them in and apply drivers and see if it works......but the $100.00 barrier is still there. Considering the adapter is easy to acquire I wouldnt even bother breaking out the soldering iron....it's a simple slot and try option. Worse case scenario is that the card has to be listed on ebay and youll have an adapter you use occasionally to hook up a standard mini-SD card to.....for whatever reason lol.

Would love to see someone give it a crack...I have just purchased my MSI Wind Netbook and it'll be here tomorrow hopefully. Then I'll be able to join all the Advent owners over in another thread....more MODACO..yay!!! but for now I'm broke....

Have you managed to purchase the adapter? how's the quality of the adapter? how much did you pay for it?

I tried the link you provided but they don't have a online store to purchase the item.

How did you purchase it?

Thanks!

Guest hagan92

Hey konker, just search for it on the google. To me there's lots of limitations!

1. Spectec has a card that states it is specifically for the Moto Q, and what the reason is, I don't know! But that is the closest phone to the Blackjack 2, so in terms, I would buy that one.

The problem: We haven't found a downscale adaptor for a MiniSD to MicroSD. There is a SD to MicroSD available, but it makes me think, that since there seems to be a special version just for the Moto Q, that that WIFI card would give us the best chance.

2. If it is advertised, talking about the Moto Q, that gives me hope on the driver issue. Moto Q's are smartphones, and they have the exact OS as our friend the BJ2.

The only problem now seems to be that the "Special Moto Q WiFi card" is a MiniSD, meaning we yet have an adapter to convert it to the MicroSD we need for our phones. If you find a MiniSD to MicroSD, let us know. (WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A MICROSD TO A MINISD GUYS...)

3. Price. Price. Price...If someone here wants to be the guinea pig, be my guest! But it would be my luck for me to try it, break my phone, and it not work. :D

For what it's worth,

Hagie92

Guest Sed8ed
Hey konker, just search for it on the google. To me there's lots of limitations!

1. Spectec has a card that states it is specifically for the Moto Q, and what the reason is, I don't know! But that is the closest phone to the Blackjack 2, so in terms, I would buy that one.

The problem: We haven't found a downscale adaptor for a MiniSD to MicroSD. There is a SD to MicroSD available, but it makes me think, that since there seems to be a special version just for the Moto Q, that that WIFI card would give us the best chance.

2. If it is advertised, talking about the Moto Q, that gives me hope on the driver issue. Moto Q's are smartphones, and they have the exact OS as our friend the BJ2.

The only problem now seems to be that the "Special Moto Q WiFi card" is a MiniSD, meaning we yet have an adapter to convert it to the MicroSD we need for our phones. If you find a MiniSD to MicroSD, let us know. (WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A MICROSD TO A MINISD GUYS...)

3. Price. Price. Price...If someone here wants to be the guinea pig, be my guest! But it would be my luck for me to try it, break my phone, and it not work. :D

For what it's worth,

Hagie92

As far as break the phone is concerned it wont!! The adapter rules out any soldering required. You slot one end in the Micro-sd slot and the other has the wi-fi card slotted in ready to go. Load up the drivers and if it works it works.....No need to even open the phone to test. To purchase the SD to micro SD adapter all that's needed is to email the company and they'll send you an invoice, I think you pay via paypal/credit card....

Drivers are available for the spectec SD cards for wm5 and wm6...There's no need for specific downgrade mini-sd to micro-sd adapter, it will work with SD cards as well as mini SD, the pinout's handled by the adaptor. I also dont think you need a specific motorola Q9 wifi card.....It'll either work or it wont, thats the deal here nothing else.

I'm not prepared to be the guinea pig for now so I havent purchased anything.......I'm interested in other things right now (OSX on my MSI Wind netbook) so all the BJII needs to do is supply me with internet and let me make calls. Wifi on it is the last thing I'm hanging out for!!!

Edited by Sed8ed

Guest konker
As far as break the phone is concerned it wont!! The adapter rules out any soldering required. You slot one end in the Micro-sd slot and the other has the wi-fi card slotted in ready to go. Load up the drivers and if it works it works.....No need to even open the phone to test. To purchase the SD to micro SD adapter all that's needed is to email the company and they'll send you an invoice, I think you pay via paypal/credit card....

Drivers are available for the spectec SD cards for wm5 and wm6...There's no need for specific downgrade mini-sd to micro-sd adapter, it will work with SD cards as well as mini SD, the pinout's handled by the adaptor. I also dont think you need a specific motorola Q9 wifi card.....It'll either work or it wont, thats the deal here nothing else.

I'm not prepared to be the guinea pig for now so I havent purchased anything.......I'm interested in other things right now (OSX on my MSI Wind netbook) so all the BJII needs to do is supply me with internet and let me make calls. Wifi on it is the last thing I'm hanging out for!!!

Sed8ed,

You indicated in an earlier post that you had an invoice for the adapter.

How much was it?

Please give an indication of the cost.

For the adapter to fit into my StarTrek, I've thought of a dirty but quick solution.

Because of the extra bulk, the Cingular 31xx's back cover can accomodate the card easily.

I'll have to downsize the battery to the standard one in order to achieve that.

Summary of items to purchase:

1. SD-to microSD Adapter

2. Standard Startrek battery (less runtime)

Konker

Guest Sed8ed
Sed8ed,

You indicated in an earlier post that you had an invoice for the adapter.

How much was it?

Please give an indication of the cost.

For the adapter to fit into my StarTrek, I've thought of a dirty but quick solution.

Because of the extra bulk, the Cingular 31xx's back cover can accomodate the card easily.

I'll have to downsize the battery to the standard one in order to achieve that.

Summary of items to purchase:

1. SD-to microSD Adapter

2. Standard Startrek battery (less runtime)

Konker

I'm on holidays ATM but from memory the invoice stated roughly $57.00 U.S posted to me in Australia...it may be less for those in the same country as manufacture that's why I didnt mention it before. Thats why the cost earlier as stated was roughly $100.00 U.S for all the bits including the spectec card....

All you have to do is email the company regarding shipping to your address...they send you an invoice payable by CC or other means....you dont have to pay for it if you dont want to.....

Thats why I said email them, you are under no obligation to purchase, they just send you an invoice.

Guest insanedrunk

Can anyone post up a video on how to disassemble it, sorry im an extremely visual learner. i just got a black housing to replace the red one from ebay (the phone was a gift). i have unscrewed all six screws, but i cant seem to find those hinges, i mean, i can go ahead and force it open, but it doesnt seem like a good idea. please some input.

Thanks in advance.

Guest konker
Can anyone post up a video on how to disassemble it, sorry im an extremely visual learner. i just got a black housing to replace the red one from ebay (the phone was a gift). i have unscrewed all six screws, but i cant seem to find those hinges, i mean, i can go ahead and force it open, but it doesnt seem like a good idea. please some input.

Thanks in advance.

There is a cracking open photo gallery here (http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10878_11-189582.html) that can serve as a guide for you.

Hope it helps.

Koner

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shashankranadive

I attempted your procedure but got stuck after removing 6 screws. the back plate (above mattary covering the camera) does not come out. Any tips on removing it?

Sorry Guys,

Don't have a camera with me, but Sed8ed's post seems to clear it up, in a very sarcastic way, that this has already been done...(just trying to help..)

As for the dust under screen...it is very easy to dissassemble the entire phone.

Here are instructions for getting to the screen..(Ill try to post pics later)

1. Turn off phone, take out battery, SIM, MicroSD

2. Unscrew all 6 of the external screws on the phone (tiny phillips head screw driver, one is under SIM, 2 are under removable plastic pieces at the top)

3. Very GENTLY, starting from the bottom of the phone, pull apart, and continue up the sides. (nothing is fixed to the back piece of the phone, so dont worry about taring something up.)

4. The back piece should come completely off, Now look down the phone sideways...there are 2 clips that fix the front piece to the main part of the phone, undo these...the front and back should now be off...

5. Clean the screen, clear it of dust, and replace. (not as hard as I thought)

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Hagie92

Guest thatake
I attempted your procedure but got stuck after removing 6 screws. the back plate (above mattary covering the camera) does not come out. Any tips on removing it?

The black plastic caps are not glued in, so a sharp pin (something like a tack pin) can ply them out. Just be gentle. After that, from the bottom corner, gently insert your fingernail (if you have 2mm of it!) inbetween black / silver trim, and push through to pop the hinges. Your nails are much softer than the screw driver, and you can't push too far without hurting yourself first.