My Hackintosh... and what are you using?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Regulars will know i'm something of a Mac fan, unfortunately however from a power perspective my current MacBook wasn't really cutting it for some of the stuff I wanted to do. A Mac Pro is well out of my price range, so i've built my own Mac! Although the EULA suggests this is questionable, I've done the best I can by a) having a legal copy of Leopard and :o sticking an Apple sticker on the case. So, it's all fully working and I have a Quad Core, 4GB RAM beast for a shade under 400 quid. Awesome! I'm selling my MacBook to be replaced by a MSI Wind (variant) as my portable machine, and i'm well happy!

:(

I'm interested to hear about what kit other people are running as their tech tools? So mine is...

- Home built Hackintosh (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, 1.5TB storage (2 x 750GB))

- Advent 4211 (aka MSI Wind), 2GB RAM + 250GB HDD

Of course we can expand this to other gadgets too, e.g.

- HTC Touch Diamond

- Red Zune 80

- Ultimate Ears super-fi 5 Pro

They're the gadgets I wouldn't go without... :D

Care to share?

P

aboutthismac1053-20080630-230503.jpg

Guest jimbouk

You must be unique... a mac and a zune!

I have a Sony Vario SZ71wnc laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 2.5GHz

2Gb Ram

3.6mb mobile broadband built in

A MacbookPro 2.2gb processor

2gb ram and a light up apple on the lid.

(I only have the macbook pro to support one client who has 15 macbookpro's on a windows network!)

A Tytn2 - being replaced this week with a diamond and a raphael coming in september.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Paul, you must give me more info on how to do this!

I've been using a 10.4 variant within VMWare Player which is nice, but a little sluggish (mainly due to the laptop!). However I'm keen to build a mac, but without the price tag! If I can do it on a laptop too, then even better!

And Wow ... the MSI Wind ... how did I let this little beauty slip by me. It's like an EEE ... but usable! With the Atom processor too :D

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Oh with regards to tech, I'm embarking on building a home NAS, to store all of my digital media. I'll document and post when I get started on it. But otherwise everything at home is generally connected via lan or wifi.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's what I bought from eBuyer (i've now added a second 750GB drive so I can keep a carbon copy backup before I 'tweak' (and risk breaking) the setup)...

bitzagain-20080701-114356.jpg

If I built it again i'd probably swap the video card for a 256MB or 512MB GDDR3 (but still 8600 and about the same price) one.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I have WiFi at home (for laptops etc.), but otherwise 2 Gigabit Ethernet 'islands' (one in the living room with Media Center, NAS and other bits) and one in my home office. The 'islands' are connected via Homeplug, which also has the 360 upstairs and the Orange Livebox on it in various places.

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Blimey your place sounds same as mine!

Lounge:

Media PC - Gigabit wired

PS3 - Gigabit wired

Apple Airport Express

Devolo Homeplug - Mains connected 150 Mbps

Hallway:

Devolo Homeplug - Mains connected 150 Mbps

Netgear DG834N router - connected to engineering socket for best throughput, and with wifi enabled

Office:

Devolo Homeplug - Mains connected 150Mbps

Windows 2003 Server - File/Print/iTunes Library/Media Library/Azureus - Gigabit wired

Desktop PC - Running TVersity streaming to PS3 - Gigabit Wires

HP Printer - Gigabit wired

Otherwise TyTNII, EEE PC, Work Laptop and Home Laptop all using wireless.

Netgear Skype Phone ... just couldnt get on with it on the TyTNII.

Use the EEEPC in the car with movies, internet and wifi (from the TyTNII)

Upcoming changes:

Plan to make server much bigger with RAID5 and about 5TB capacity.

Server to be stored in garage at new property ... it's cooler and dont have to worry about the heat generated or the noise.

Plan to change the wifi router for a Draytek Vigor 2080VN and utilise the two VOIP sockets too.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

... or I could copy your hardware list above (since you say it works) :D

I don't mind building my own, but would have been cool if I could have just installed it on a standard box.

Re: The wind, you planning on keeping XP on it?

Guest J273

Just seen this thread.....

PC

not great ..still using socket 939

Its a 4200 x2 runs at 2.2ghz and 2 gb ram

7600gt

xfi platinum

4 x 250gb hard drives + 500gb ext

30" monitor alongside a 20" and 24"

In desperate need of an upgrade.

Also run a top spec mac mini 2ghz with 2gb of ram which i share between the 24" monitor and the TV as a media center.

Lappy i have a 12"" samsung q35 also now a MSI wind...Planning on getting rid of the q35 and putting the cash towards a macbook pro.

No win mobiles anymore ....currently using a Iphone but getting the 3g on the 11th :D

With the iphone i use some scullcandy buds.

Thats about it.

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0610-1.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

Edited by J273

Guest ~Rob

A slight bump, but I'm new :D

My main PC is a Asus P5B-E mobo with E6600 CPU overclocked a little and 2Gb of ram. The less said about the X300 graphics card the better, although it is running Vista Premium and media centre is great.

My laptop is a Compaq F504 with the common faulty wifi problem that still needs me to get off my back side to fix it.

I've also got a 600Mhz ITX board that was my file server for a while, but I got bored with it so it's just under my bed sulking now.

Planned for the near future is an Intel D945GCLF with a 1.6Ghz Atom that will become my next car PC. I've already got a faulty high-brightness 7" LCD to play with.

I think that's all of my gadgets. AV/Camera's don't really count

Guest chucky.egg

Can I just ask...

Where do you guys find the time to do this stuff?

Keeping up with my emails, RSS, and kids (in no particular order) takes all my time and energy!

Guest rameses
Can I just ask...

Where do you guys find the time to do this stuff?

Keeping up with my emails, RSS, and kids (in no particular order) takes all my time and energy!

Ditto. I'd love to spend more time 'nerding' as the wife calls it but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

My current list:

Dell Inspiron 1520 with 4gb RAM 320gb hard disk

NEC i-select M5610 (which I'm trying to sell so I can justify getting an EEE or a Wind)

A desktop PC cobbled together out of loads of bits I've acquired and can't remember what they are and a few external discs of varying sizes = I was planning on turning it into a server but never had time.

HTC Kaiser with TLR ROM

HTC s710 with Dr Martin Gonzo's ROM

SPV c500 with WM5!!!

ipod classic 160gb - nearly full!!!!!!!

Guest micaels

As it is right now im using the following while im here in the US on vacation:

HP Pavilion Dv6275ea (though not working so well)

Microsoft Zune 80GB

Ultimate Ears Super .fi 5 pro

HP IPAQ 910

Nokia N95 8GB

HTC Advantage

Nikon Coolpix s210