Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Okay I have removed the standoff and Leopard is still showing no wifi card installed ? Have I somehow fried my card ?

I appear to be getting the issue all the time now where settings arnt saved as well ? The keyboard never stays set to Advent and any menu items I remove just come back ?

The machine boots up fine though now, which leads me to think the wifi card was touching / having issues with the standoff ?

Any help out there !?!?

Edited by xbrillx

Guest elalitte
Okay I have removed the standoff and Leopard is still showing no wifi card installed ? Have I somehow fried my card ?

I'm afraid yes :-(

The machine boots up fine though now, which leads me to think the wifi card was touching / having issues with the standoff ?

Yes, it could have made a short-circuit that forbid the normal boot of the advent.

Any help out there !?!?

I would reinstall properly the system, buy a new wlan card, and I think everything should be right.

Guest xbrillx
I'm afraid yes :-(

Yes, it could have made a short-circuit that forbid the normal boot of the advent.

I would reinstall properly the system, buy a new wlan card, and I think everything should be right.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

So should I re-install Leopard from scratch ? Do you advise to do this with the new wifi card installed ?

Guest mac money

Hello

1st i would like to say thank you for the guide.

I am not an expert when it comes to os x86 but have fiddled about with them in the past.

My problem is i have fallen at the 1st hurdle, i am using Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso and am stuck on the install process

The installer will not recognise the harddrive

i get the still waiting for root device message.

Now i have experienced this issue before and i solved it on previous installs by using a different os x86 like macnub

But as i have a newly purchased advent 4211 im not sure why no one else is stuck at this stage.

One thing i should point out is i was unable to boot from my external DVD drive.

I have not yet purchased a proper drive so at the moment i am using an IDE/SATA to USB bridge connected to the dvd drive in my desktop.

The cable is mainly to connect hard drives via usb with out an enclosure, but it should not matter that it is a DVD drive.

I can only get the Advent to boot from the DVD drive if ACHI is enabled. Could this be the cause of the "still waiting on root device error"

any ideas or should i get a proper external drive and try with ACHI disabled.

Guest elalitte
So should I re-install Leopard from scratch ? Do you advise to do this with the new wifi card installed ?

Yes, as long as you didn't make some major changes or work, it would be preferable to reinstall your system if it's not working properly.

You don't need to wait for the new wifi card, it will be recognized without any problem when you plug it in later.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Hello

1st i would like to say thank you for the guide.

I am not an expert when it comes to os x86 but have fiddled about with them in the past.

My problem is i have fallen at the 1st hurdle, i am using Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso and am stuck on the install process

The installer will not recognise the harddrive

i get the still waiting for root device message.

Now i have experienced this issue before and i solved it on previous installs by using a different os x86 like macnub

But as i have a newly purchased advent 4211 im not sure why no one else is stuck at this stage.

One thing i should point out is i was unable to boot from my external DVD drive.

I have not yet purchased a proper drive so at the moment i am using an IDE/SATA to USB bridge connected to the dvd drive in my desktop.

The cable is mainly to connect hard drives via usb with out an enclosure, but it should not matter that it is a DVD drive.

I can only get the Advent to boot from the DVD drive if ACHI is enabled. Could this be the cause of the "still waiting on root device error"

any ideas or should i get a proper external drive and try with ACHI disabled.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The waiting for root device when loading OSX initially is due to it not finding the DVD drive properly. Once installed then it could be all manner of isses.

I'm guessing that it's your installation method.

If you look here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...for_root_device

You will see that it's a very common problem which isn't particularly descriptive about the cause of the error!

Guest tssalgado

@retrogamer: thanks...after reading some posts from their forum, i think msi wind is more ideal for osx project.

is it possible to install the osx using just a usb flash drive like what i did in installing the windows xp?

Guest MovableBeast

Has anyone out there thought about installing Leopard on a Dell Inspiron mini 9? I'm buying one to give this a try (expect to get it in about two weeks), and the specs are as follows:

-- Inspiron Mini 9 --

-- Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)

-----------------------

-- Memory --

-- 1GB DDR2 at 533MHz

-----------------------

-- LCD Panel --

-- Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024X600)

-----------------------

-- Video Card --

-- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950

-----------------------

-- Hard Drive --

-- 16GB Solid State Drive

-----------------------

-- Wireless Networking Cards --

-- Wireless 802.11g Mini Card

-----------------------

-- Camera Module --

-- Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam

-----------------------

-- Battery Options --

-- 32WHr Battery (4 cell)

-----------------------

-- Bluetooth Option --

-- Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 capability

I'll let you know when I get the mini 9 and how my experiment goes... It's either going to be Leopard or Ubuntu's Netbook Remix; there's no way I'm going to use Windows on this thing.

Guest mac money
Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The waiting for root device when loading OSX initially is due to it not finding the DVD drive properly. Once installed then it could be all manner of isses.

I'm guessing that it's your installation method.

If you look here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...for_root_device

You will see that it's a very common problem which isn't particularly descriptive about the cause of the error!

I had a similar problem after install on my samsung r20

i got passed it by adding the device id for my sata controller to the appleviaata.kext

But the problem i have is before install.

As i do not have a proper external dvd drive im going to try it with an ide dvd drive instead of sata.

If i were to take my hard drive out of my advent and put it in my samsung, install osx using pauls method then put the hard drive back into the advent to finsh off install do you think i will get any luck. Or will installer detect differnet hardware and fail.

lol you know what im going argos and buying a powered drive i dont see why my adapter could cause so many problems but hey.

Guest svencux

hello,

my msi wind runs on Mac os 10.5.5 now all is fine. Just realised that my scrennsaver does not kick in.

Even so all is fine should I re install the graphic driver ?

Does anyone else has the same problem ?

would be nice to hear if your screensaver is working ok.

Thanks a lot.

Sven

Guest xbrillx
Yes, as long as you didn't make some major changes or work, it would be preferable to reinstall your system if it's not working properly.

You don't need to wait for the new wifi card, it will be recognized without any problem when you plug it in later.

Just ordered a new wifi card.

I'm a little hesitant about installing leopard again. This will be the 4th time if I do, the 1st two times got upto the full install, but then crashed on kext's. The 3rd was an issue with my partitions.

Each time though i've had the issues where settings arnt remembered, screensaver, battery etc... ? Is it a problem with the install ?

Or have people actually got the install workign fine and all the settings are always remembered ?

Cheers

Mark.

Guest tssalgado

i'm now decided to install osx to my wind...i already downloaded kalyway and just don't know how to burn it on dvd to make it a bootable installer...can someone help or show me the link please? i'm don't have mac, i'm only using wxp... tia!

edited...i finally did it, i used imgburn

Edited by tssalgado

Guest xbrillx
Yes, everything fine !

Well get this, I feel very stupid.

I thought I would check the wifi card one more time, turns out I hadnt even clicked it in fully. Feel very foolish now. I removed the standoff anyway before, put some extra electrical tape on the underneath now and all seems fine (wifi wise.)

However, ever reboot or so the battery shows an 'x'. I've tried re-installing the kext but no luck. Odd ?

hello,

my msi wind runs on Mac os 10.5.5 now all is fine. Just realised that my scrennsaver does not kick in.

Even so all is fine should I re install the graphic driver ?

Does anyone else has the same problem ?

would be nice to hear if your screensaver is working ok.

Thanks a lot.

Sven

Hi,

I have worst problem here.. Anyway Paul thanks for the step by step tutor to install mac in msi.

I install just like you instruct in the first page, and it's work like a charm..

but yesterday I download update 10.5.5 and install it directly, the system crash. everytime I boot the computer told me to push the power button and shutdown. I already try several time and it's not working

could you help me to undo this process? or at least how to remove this 10.5.5 update?

is that something i can do beside to re-install from the beginning. Coz I have a lot of file down there ;)

Hope you can help me..

Thanks

Guest xbrillx
Hi,

I have worst problem here.. Anyway Paul thanks for the step by step tutor to install mac in msi.

I install just like you instruct in the first page, and it's work like a charm..

but yesterday I download update 10.5.5 and install it directly, the system crash. everytime I boot the computer told me to push the power button and shutdown. I already try several time and it's not working

could you help me to undo this process? or at least how to remove this 10.5.5 update?

is that something i can do beside to re-install from the beginning. Coz I have a lot of file down there ;)

Hope you can help me..

Thanks

Did you install 10.5.5 from the software update on the mac ? if so that will cause problems. Sorry dont know how to undo that. There is details a few pages back with a link to a post by Paul that says how to install 10.5.5 safely...

Did you install 10.5.5 from the software update on the mac ? if so that will cause problems. Sorry dont know how to undo that. There is details a few pages back with a link to a post by Paul that says how to install 10.5.5 safely...

yes, I'm installing from software update on mac.. Is there anybody can help me???

Comments are welcome..

Guest mac money
I had a similar problem after install on my samsung r20

i got passed it by adding the device id for my sata controller to the appleviaata.kext

But the problem i have is before install.

As i do not have a proper external dvd drive im going to try it with an ide dvd drive instead of sata.

If i were to take my hard drive out of my advent and put it in my samsung, install osx using pauls method then put the hard drive back into the advent to finsh off install do you think i will get any luck. Or will installer detect differnet hardware and fail.

lol you know what im going argos and buying a powered drive i dont see why my adapter could cause so many problems but hey.

Update still unable to get past step 3 of guide with kalyway 10.5.2 or 10.5.1 or msiwindosx86, i even tried installing it from my working samsung hackbook to an external HDD but still could not get past step 3.

I digged up my Kalyway 10.4.10 which is the only version i was able to install on my samsung and tried installing to the external HDD, i tried to follow the guide as best possible will test at work if theres any joy.

Question is there any way to get passed this waiting for root device error. Has any one who purchased a advent 4211 in the last 3 weeks had the smae problem.

Guest xbrillx
yes, I'm installing from software update on mac.. Is there anybody can help me???

Comments are welcome..

Hi, I think you may need to do a full re-install from the start ? I can't be sure though, see if one of the more seasoned users on the board can offer a better solution.

Do you have XP installed on another partition of the HD at all ?

Guest elalitte

Well, I'm afraid you're stuck :-(

Anyway, to avoid this latter, you can use time machine that allows you to get back if you do any mistake. Even if your full system is broken. You can make a new install and get the system exactly where it were last time it was ok.

Guest Colonel Panic

I think that Paul ought to update Step 48 of his guide to include the separate 10.5.5 update process BEFORE using Software Update, along with an additional warning to avoid OS updates unless they have been certified as working.

If anyone is still having problems with the screen resolution switching to 800x600 on reboot (hopefully resolved with the new graphics driver which I haven't tried yet), an interim solution that seems to work for me is to install SwitchResX and use it to add a new custom resolution of 1024 (width), 600 (height) - don't touch any of the other parameters. Click OK, then restart, and fingers crossed the problem won't return (it hasn't happened to me again despite numerous reboots).