Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest roger99
A Application like Norton Ghost, PC Disk Image, Self-Image, assuming the Default Installation Restore is on a seperate Partition from the main OS Install.

Thanks. I'll have a go later. (It's on the original disk, unchanged. I swapped the HD before installing OS X.)

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hey! I'm very new to this, so please be nice :lol:

I've just ordered my Advent 4211 from PC World :D

Just have a few questions..

1. Does the Laptop have 2 RAM slots, 1 empty and 1 with 1gb in already? I think this is the case :/

2. Has a solution for headphone port been found yet?

3. What happens when battery is low/runs out? (Does OS X warn you or anything or does the laptop just cut off)

4. Will THIS hard drive work in the laptop? I think it will >.;)

1. It has 1 empty, and 1GB soldered onboard.

2. No, aside from a USB sound dongle...

3. It warns...

4. Yup, should do!

5. Yeah, some people have removed / insulated the unused 'post'. My WiFi works on XP fine (I dual boot).

P

Guest roger99

I've lost count of how many installs I've done but I finally have a working 10.5.4 system.

I bought a Broadcom 802.11n (BCM4321) on eBay for £14 (link) but it's so thick that there was no way that it would fit with the stand-off in place. I stuck a small screwdriver in the hole and gently wiggled it up and down and sideways and was relieved when it came away fairly easily. My relief was tempered by the realisation that I'd removed the wrong one, though! Anyway, the other one came out just as easily and I stuck the top one back in place with a dot of superglue.

Will I definitely need to remove a "post" to put in my own wireless card? :/

I really am a newb.. Is there a guide/video/picture anywhere

that shows how to replace it?

Picking my Advent up tommorow :D

thanks again paul :lol:

Edited by Conn18

Guest crewcutboy

Thanks Paul, I managed to get OS X Leopard installed on my MSi Wind using your method.

I'm just wondering though.. what's safe for me to update and what's not?

I read somewhere about how people have gone to update to 10.5.5 and it worked fine, so I went ahead to do it as well through software update and it crashed halfway through the update. I don't even know what hit me. I had to reinstall from scratch. :lol:

So how do I know what's safe to install and what's not? Is there a quick way to recover when the crash occurs? It really is too tedious to do the install all over again.

Guest elalitte
4. Will THIS hard drive work in the laptop? I think it will >.<

I think so, I just migrate to a 200Go Seagate Momentus 7200 SATA2 and it works like a charm.

I think any SATA hard drive should do the trick.

The migration is quite easy.

1- Save your machine with time machine

2- Put your new drive in and make the beginning of the install.

3- When the system boots for the first time, you can choose to take the infos back from a time machine save.

4- Finish the installation instructions, and that's it, you've got the same machine with same desktop, applications, etc... 

Hi

i bought the wind several months ago and have been waiting till now to solve my biggest problem:

when i install os x will the headphone port work. i really need to use headphones so it is necessary for me.

is this problem solved?

thanks

if not will it be solved sometime soon?

Hmm.. My bluetooth isn't working on my advent 4211 :/

The hotkey works and the blue light turns on next to the bluetooth logo on the laptop

but when I launch the bluetooth program and click search for devices, it says "bluetooth is not ready"

which is the same message that is given when bluetooth is turned off :s

Any help? :/

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Hmm.. My bluetooth isn't working on my advent 4211 :/

The hotkey works and the blue light turns on next to the bluetooth logo on the laptop

but when I launch the bluetooth program and click search for devices, it says "bluetooth is not ready"

which is the same message that is given when bluetooth is turned off :s

Any help? :/

Turn the blue light on via the hotkey. Then in the system preferences turn the bluetooth application to ON. I suspect that is your problem. It foxed me a few times.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
can you suggest me a similar netbook that will run os x better. if there isnt one which is the best hackintosh?

thanks

:lol:

Macbook ? That will run OSX better than a netbook ... slightly bigger size though, and considerably more money!

The WIND variants such as the MSI Wind and the Advent 4211 have been very successful with OS X. If you want a laptop that is bigger, then people have had great successes with Dell laptops.

Turn the blue light on via the hotkey. Then in the system preferences turn the bluetooth application to ON. I suspect that is your problem. It foxed me a few times.

The blue light is ON.

And I'm running windows xp :lol:

Guest xxcooldudexx

Another question, anyway of getting firewire support... using one of those firewire to USB cables perhaps... anyone know? I want to use iMovie.

Guest roger99

I'd been running 10.5.4 quite happily for a couple of days but after it shut itself down when the battery ran out the other day it now won't boot. On booting I hear the HD start up but after a couple of seconds it stops (with the green activity light going out) leaving just the black screen. (It's the same with an external drive connected with the Kalyway boot disk.)

Anything I can try before opening it up?

Thanks.

Edited by roger99

Guest joshcrow

thanks for the great walk through! but im not sure if its just me but the link to download the wind driver pack seems to be dead! i cant wait to have leopard running on my wind, please fix the link! thank you so much this is great

Guest xxcooldudexx
thanks for the great walk through! but im not sure if its just me but the link to download the wind driver pack seems to be dead! i cant wait to have leopard running on my wind, please fix the link! thank you so much this is great

Nope, it works...

Guest peredur

I have always used Logic to sequence. My version 5.5 is looking pretty old by now, but I cannot justify the £ to buy a Mac. Has anyone tried running Logic 8 on an Advent 4211? I'm guessing that it might not have the grunt to do lots of audio processing and plug ins and the like. Having said that, that is a guess :lol:

TIA as I always seem to find myself saying when I post on any forum.

Edited by peredur

Guest andywilson460

I have successfully completed the install, but my Advent keeps reverting back to 1024 x 768 on reboot.

Anyone experiencing this and found a fix?

Cheers

Andy

Guest still.sdh

Hi all! :lol:

I'm new here and new to netbooks in general. I haven't bought one, yet, but these really has caught my eye and I'm planning on getting the 1000h instead of a macbook. But as I've understood these neat little netbooks running OS X are accompanied by some bugs. This keeps me from buying one for the moment. Is there any compiled list of all knows bugs and features lost compared to Apples original laptops? (Auto sleep when closing the netbook, photobooth/webcam, brightness control, energy saver functions etc.) This could really help me with my decision. I'm aware of the loss of sound, and that's kind of a deal breaker as I want to be able to watch movies on the bus among other things. I've read some have solved this, not sure how but you'll enlighten me I'm sure :D Also, do you recommend some other netbook than 1000h? The same lovely battery time would be nice though. One last question, does the notebooks draw more battery power when fully configured to run OS X? I hope I'm not asking to many questions previously answered, but there's just soo many pages to go through!

Thanks!

Edited by still.sdh

Guest xxcooldudexx

I'm new here and new to netbooks in general. I haven't bought one, yet, but these really has caught my eye and I'm planning on getting the 1000h instead of a macbook. But as I've understood these neat little netbooks running OS X are accompanied by some bugs. This keeps me from buying one for the moment. Is there any compiled list of all knows bugs and features lost compared to Apples original laptops? (Auto sleep when closing the netbook, photobooth/webcam, brightness control, energy saver functions etc.) This could really help me with my decision. I'm aware of the loss of sound, and that's kind of a deal breaker as I want to be able to watch movies on the bus among other things. I've read some have solved this, not sure how but you'll enlighten me I'm sure :D Also, do you recommend some other netbook than 1000h? The same lovely battery time would be nice though. One last question, does the notebooks draw more battery power when fully configured to run OS X? I hope I'm not asking to many questions previously answered, but there's just soo many pages to go through!

Thanks!

All I can say is that barely no one here will help you, no one helped me at all. But, I will try to answer some of your questions:

Sound through the speakers still works, just no headphone or mic jack. So use a USB headset or simply buy a very very cheap USB-> phono adaptor.

Battery life is the same on XP or OSX, near enough anyway.

The rest, I have no clue on. Sorry.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Thanks!

Well hibernate doesn't work, but that's standard for all hackintosh's at present. However great work is being done on that with a solution being promised soon.

Autosleep used to work, but I may have clicked something on mine to stop it doing that. However now I press the power button and it asks me what I want to do. This is far more preferable to me.

Sound works fine, it's just the mic and headphone ports that do not, which is easily remedied with a USB headset.

I "think" it might use slightly more power when using OSX than WinXP ... but I would also suggest you get the 6 cell version, rather then the 3 cell ones. However if battery power is an issue ... Mugen Power are offering a huge 9 cell 7800mah replacement for the standard 2200mah battery! Id hate to estimate how much time you are going to get out of that.

Realistically you're getting a device which runs OSX pretty damn well, but is not an offical Apple laptop. So, for a few things which there are workarounds for, it's certainly worth the money, being a fraction of the cost of a macbook. It was for me, as I was keen to get into OSX. I now have the Windbook, and my main PC running Kalyway.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
All I can say is that barely no one here will help you, no one helped me at all.

Awww that's not fair. People here are generally very helpful. But with the hackintosh thread, everyone was breaking new ground, and so not a lot of experience to back up other peoples questions. Plus most people posting had their own problems, and probably never returned once they had resolved them. Reading through the threads solved most of my issues when I was installing Kalyway.

It would be nice however to build a bit of a hackintosh community here.