Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest skippythewonderdog

Hey guys. I hate to harp and I apologize for my newbee-ness, but are all Dell 1490s the same? I really don't know which one to get. The Dell site lists several, all 1490s.

Skip

HEADPHONE PORT! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm so glad! I have just a few more days before I install Leopard, and now I don't need to buy a usb to headphone adaptor :P

aaweeeesomeeeee ;)

...now I just need to get me an external DVD reader... :lol:

Nuttyphilt,

Try THIS ONE :D

I've ordered one. It looks decent, is Bus-powered & the price is attractive!

Also, you get a 5% discount at play.com if you have or know someone with a UCAS card :D

& free delivery on everything :D

(This is all assuming you live in the UK :o)

Dogcow,

We both live in Wirral

! :P

Edited by Conn18

I Updated the BIOS to v1.08, but I'm not sure if it worked..

Is there a way of checking the BIOS version so I'll know if it's worked?

If not, is it safe to use the v1.08 update again whether it has worked or not?

Finally, the v1.09 BIOS is available on the Techguys site now, should we update to that?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Time for me to move on to my next OSX'ing project I think (not sure what it'll be yet tho)... if anyone (in UK) wants to buy my mint 6 cell black US spec wind with dell wifi, 160GB drive and 2GB RAM for £350 lemme know... :lol:

P

Time for me to move on to my next OSX'ing project I think (not sure what it'll be yet tho)... if anyone (in UK) wants to buy my mint 6 cell black US spec wind with dell wifi, 160GB drive and 2GB RAM for £350 lemme know... :lol:

P

OMG I so would have bought that a few days ago :| I went and bought an advent

Noooooo :'(

Hi Paul

I am looking to get Advent 4211. Ive been looking at the tutorial and i was just wondering if the install will work with a official copy of os x leopard as i has seen one for not to much money.

Cheers

hi there,

i must say i'm loving this tutorial, and it worked great for me untill i had to install the kexts, using the kexthelper.

it goes well and when i've installed the kexts im rebooting it and it doest go past the grey screen when its loading.

can anyone help me? im using the msi wind u100 completely standard with the correct bios, and followed paul's huide.

Thom

Hahaha. I agree with u totally. But will the installer work in the same way as it would with the Kalaway 1.5.2? Will the custom install options be there. Jus want to no before i commit my self to buying one. :lol: Btw brilliant job with the tutorial!!! :D

Guest elalitte
Ladies and gentlemen.... we have a working headphone port :lol:

Just tried it, it works great !

First, go and get the switch.sh and CHUD dev environnement here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/158600679/CHUDswitch.zip

Then install CHUD.

Copy the switch.sh to your desktop.

Chmod it in 775. (if you don't know what it means, perhaps you shouldn't try all those things)

You can do that with the terminal, go to your Desktop directory: cd /Users/_urname_/Desktop (change _urname_ with your username)

And use the chmod command to change the rights on it: sudo chmod 775 switch.sh

Now, you can switch between hp and speakers with the command: sudo /Users/_urname_/Desktop/switch.sh

But, you can make up far easier to activate.

First, where gonna put the setuid bit on the file to avoid the sudo and password problem. This requires a little knowledge of unix so you shouldn't do it if you're not sure.

type: sudo chown root:staff /Users/_urname_/Desktop/switch.sh

then: chmod +s /Users/_urname_/Desktop/switch.sh

then edit sudoers file with visudo: sudo visudo

And add this line at the end of the file:

_urname_ ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /Users/_urname_/Desktop/switch.sh

Then you're done with the sudo problem and can start the script without providing your password:

/Users/_urname_/Desktop/switch.sh

Now you can use Quicksilver to assign a key to the script (I used F1) and then it's really easy to do it !!!

Edited by elalitte

Guest elalitte
Is it possible to use an USB dongle which has an os x driver? Instead of buying an internal one

What for ?

If it's for headset, you don't need anymore a USB dongle.

Guest elalitte
Can this method for getting working headphone port be added to the first post, please?

We need feedbacks to know if this works for everybody and if these commands are understandable for everyone.

If it's ok, I'll put some print screen and try to be more understandable in the commands.

Hi Paul, and everyone

i want to say thanks for the tutorial. i got everything working the way it should.

im using a netgear wl111 usb dongle for the wireless and it works perfectly.

after all this it leaves me with one question,

can i update to 10.5.5 and every other update from apple?

thom

Guest still.sdh
Hi Paul, and everyone

i want to say thanks for the tutorial. i got everything working the way it should.

im using a netgear wl111 usb dongle for the wireless and it works perfectly.

after all this it leaves me with one question,

can i update to 10.5.5 and every other update from apple?

You should not update the system via Apple's updater, it can screw up things.

There's maybe patched updates to download somewhere, not really sure though.

I totally enjoyed your explanation to install OSX on the MSI 100U, but it seems that many people are having problems getting the Dell wireless card to run properly.

The Dell USA site <http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat=prod&k=1490&rpp=12&p=1&subcat=2999%2f6348&rf=all&nk=f&sort=K&ira=False&~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav> lists a total of 14 different models of the card, which may be why some are having trouble and others not.

Could you please specify which version of the Dell 1490 will work properly?

Thanks,

jlf

Hey Paul, I followed your instructions on how to install Leopard and managed to install it to my Gigabyte M912 and works great, except for sound and the web camera. Any suggestion how to get this to work? I would really like for the web and sound to work so I could use iChat and Skype. Thanks for any info.

I totally enjoyed your explanation to install OSX on the MSI 100U, but it seems that many people are having problems getting the Dell wireless card to run properly.

The Dell USA site <http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat=prod&k=1490&rpp=12&p=1&subcat=2999%2f6348&rf=all&nk=f&sort=K&ira=False&~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav> lists a total of 14 different models of the card, which may be why some are having trouble and others not.

Could you please specify which version of the Dell 1490 will work properly?

Thanks,

jlf

This is like the one I'm using on my Gigabyte M912 and works great. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=430-1830