Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Riggers
If you have the 'no DHCP ethernet on wake from sleep' issue, here's how I fixed it:

Here's how I fixed it:

- Download and install sleepwatcher from here (install the main package and the startup item)

- Drop to a terminal

- type 'cd ~'

- type 'nano .wakeup'

- Paste in the following (putting your password in of course):

#!/bin/bash

echo "yourpasswordhere" | sudo -S ipconfig set en0 BOOTP

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

- Press Ctrl-X then Y to save

- type 'chmod +x .wakeup'

Reboot.

Hey presto, problem solved :D

P

[Thanks to this topic on IM for the help!]

Hi Paul - great guide!!!

I had a Dell 1490 wifi card from ebay but have the problem with the 4211 just sitting on a black screen on power up with this in :-( I am hoping it was just a bad card. I installed as per the guide and video and used the Ethernet R1000 driver - everything works fine, except the DHCP issue when coming out of sleep. I have followed your instructions above carefully 3 times and it makes no difference. I can overcome the problem by renewing the DHCP lease, but I wondered if I have missed something ??

Thanks

Edited by Riggers

Guest WearTheFoxHat

UPDATE: Most PC World stores seem to have magically got stock yesterday afternoon. So once more I have reserved one for collection. Let's hope Collect@Store works this time!!! :S

Guest Paul (MVP)
Well that went pretty smoothly. Had a couple of odd crashes after the 10.5.3 update (freeze with weird graphics corruption) but seems solid now.

One thing I noticed, step 23 you say to "Expand 'Patches' and select 'TimeMachineFix' and 'PowerManagement_bundle'." But you did not say to "uncheck" the default selections (spotted your screenshot later!)

So I therefore installed one of the options under "Hardcoded_SMBIOS" and "PCGenUSB_Fix" accidentally, not sure if this is a bad thing??

Shouldn't be a problem, and i'll update the guide, thanks :D

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat
UPDATE: Most PC World stores seem to have magically got stock yesterday afternoon. So once more I have reserved one for collection. Let's hope Collect@Store works this time!!! :S

hhahaha It gets even better .... the one I had reserved at Telford store has just called me to say "Although the web says we have stock .... we don't have any!".

Aaaaargh!

Guest Dogcow

Been playing this morning, here's some impressions:

1. Got CoolBook installed and registered, works great, stepping down to 798MHz it feels noticeably cooler and not much slower. At the default 1598MHz with WiFi on it settled at around 2 hours remaining when fully charged, so with CoolBook adjusting the speed and a six cell battery 5-6 hours of surfing should be possible.

2. One minor annoyance... alot of apps were not designed with a 600px high screen in mind, even with the dock hidden the PhotoBooth window gets cropped.

3. The webcam is actually as good as the iSight in the Air, and by as good I mean poor in bad light, ok in good light.

4. It certainly feels no slower than the Air in day to day stuff (surfing etc)

5. The trackpad is small but usable but the left/right button are a bit, trackpad tapping partly solves that. The keyboard has a decent feel to it, layout will take a bit of adjusting to.

6. It can bus power the external LG GSA-E50N DVD writer with the single USB cable, smart little drive.

7. Things I miss from the Air - multi-touch trackpad, Magsafe power adapter.

Overall it's brilliant, certainly doesn't feel like a huge compromise coming from the Air and for £279.99 it's a bargain. With the DVD writer, RAM, 160Gb HD and WiFi card I spent £408. Sure you can get a fully featured 15" laptop for that price but this thing weighs close to 1Kg! Will post some Air/Wind comparison pics later today.

Paul, how did you swap those two keys round, feels like I'm gonna break something when I try!

Guest fishnchips
how did you swap those two keys round, feels like I'm gonna break something when I try!

Be brave! I thought that as well but they come off more easily if you lever them from the right and then you can unclip the left side.

Guest Paul (MVP)

It was scary, but just a gentle lift (at the top of they keys in my case) did it. I take no responsbility if you break something tho!

P

Guest elbenski

I am still waiting on all my parts to arrive. Perhaps this weekend I can get my teeth stuck into it.

Whilst enjoying a bottle of champagne last night my best friend co-erced me into sticking a temporary

sticker onto the clear protective cover....

I have decided to call mine a Drunk Apple - a Cider! (pic enclosed)

post-408147-1216816112_thumb.jpg

Guest WearTheFoxHat

bah beat me to it ... when I got my ipod touch, I got some of those big apple stickers ... was going to use one for that!

Guest Gomff

Hi to everyone on this forum!

It's due to this thread that I bought a 4211 last week which arrived yesterday and thanks to your guide Paul, I'm up and running on my hackintosh! I'm a big mac fan and wouldn't have bitten were it not for the ability to run Leopard on it.

Paul, I'm just wondering, is it possible to set up a dual boot on this machine and if so, how do I go about it? I notice there's no boot camp assistant in Utilities, and when I copied it over from another Mac I have, it said something about needing to update the boot ROM first....Any tips on how I would go about this?

Thanks again for your great guide....I'm loving my netbook and now I have a cheap mac to take away with me on holidays for email, photo storage and light usage.

Cheers

Geoff

Guest elbenski
That looks awesome!

Can you see the advent logo thru it?

P

yes you can, When I completely revamp the machine with the wireless/hd/ram I will remove the protective cover and think about how I might put another logo on there. I liked the idea of the drunk apple, because it will make people look at it and go "huh?"

Guest elbenski
BIOS hacking anyone? :D

tsutton,

I had a look at the BIOS in a hex editor. Often the pictures are stored as bitmaps in the BIOS, in theory you could find the portion of the BIOS containing the bitmap and exhange it for a homebrew one. Risky though. I'm sure there's precedent for it.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Around 2 hours to 2.5 hours mid to high brightness, coolbook and wifi on. Not seen replacement batteries yet, I want a 6 cell to boost it to 4-5 hours :D

P

Guest Dogcow

For some reason my 1490 WiFi card has stopped being recognised :D

Woke the machine from sleep and Airport was shown as off, wouldn't turn on. Toggled Fn-F11 but no joy. Restarted and now it says "No Airport Card installed". Any ideas??????

Another restart and now it can't see a battery, not sure about selling my Air now, this is flaky :D

Edited by Dogcow