Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
I have read through all of the excellent posts. There are some references to the Dell 1500 Wireless card that supports 802.11n, is this the same as the Dell 1510? The Dell 1510 is the only one that I can find, will it fit into the Wind?.

Also has anyone tried a 3G internal card?

Don't think there's enough room!

P

Guest bv.paul

As many others already have done it, I want to say big Thank You Paul! Enjoying my Mac Wind for about two weeks now. With your excellent guide installation was simple. And it's a pleasure now to have such a Mac in a bag :D

Guest smudgermac

Hi (problems with network on Medion E1210)

I have been trying to get wifi and ethernet working on my hackintosh Medion Akoya E1210. I have followed Paul's method's twice now, once with not network drivers enabled, once with Realtek 1000 enabled. In the first case, I got the "stuck at set-up wizard" problem that others have seen, in the second case everything seems to be working except network connectivity. I understood that the E1210 has a OS X compatible wireless card, but the methods described appear to assume that the wireless card is that form an Advent or MSI and will be change. I have tried running the RT2860 driver packages here, but no difference.

What is really strange is that I cannot get Ethernet working either.

Any suggestions on what I should check/uncheck in the first Kalyway install , or kext changes, etc ?

(UPDATE) I have started again, now have Ethernet working. Trying now to get wifi working - driver suggestions ?

Best Regards

John

Edited by smudgermac

Yeah I need to try that again ! - Still not detecting battery every time!

3 Cell battery with Coolbook installed will give about 2-3 hours of usage.

Yeah currently mine has the apple sticker beside the advent .... but have a spare sticker when I can be arsed to remove the "advent logo"

My hard drive clicks frequently too, but its not worrying me. Its a replacement 250GB one.

Same here. But I dont use sleep.

aye pretty hefty power cable ... keep me informed if you find a replacement.

great source for a lightweight power cable replacement:

$0.99 (shipping is around $5):

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchD...productID=17818

P17818A.jpg

search on "C5 cloverleaf"

For a free or inexpensive cable, mod your own:

aside from buying the cable above, if you have a spare power cord like those found on the ThinkPad adapters (commonly used as power cords for portable audio devices), you can carefully hacksaw down the middle of the female connector. Hacksawing will remove some of the plastic, creates a split down the middle, and makes it flexible enough to allow it to fit into the cloverleaf male receptacle of the MSI's power supply.

powercordmodpf5.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by lxny

Guest elalitte
I have been trying to get wifi and ethernet working on my hackintosh Medion Akoya E1210. I have followed Paul's method's twice now, once with not network drivers enabled, once with Realtek 1000 enabled. In the first case, I got the "stuck at set-up wizard" problem that others have seen, in the second case everything seems to be working except network connectivity. I understood that the E1210 has a OS X compatible wireless card, but the methods described appear to assume that the wireless card is that form an Advent or MSI and will be change. I have tried running the RT2860 driver packages here, but no difference.

What is really strange is that I cannot get Ethernet working either.

Any suggestions on what I should check/uncheck in the first Kalyway install , or kext changes, etc ?

Hi smudgermac,

I work with the akoya for a few days.

It seems that the internal wifi card can't work with the kalyway. Some sites report that it works, but some other say it doesn't. My experience is that the card is not recognized (also, my card seems to be a rt2700e and not a rt2860) applying the ralink drivers does nothing.

The solution i'm working on is to change the card with a dell 1390 which I should receive in a few days. I'll write down here if it works.

For the ethernet, it is stucked when you're back from sleep. You have to solutions for that, put the adresse manually, or do a new DHCP request to get a new address. Both work but you don't have to do nothing if you put the address manually.

For now I think the akoya is a worst choice than the wind or advent. Wlan problem is the same, we don't have any bluetooth, we have only one slot for ram. The rest seems to be slightly the same.

Guest bluepolo

My first post... this was what I was looking for! I would have bought a new Intel 12" Macbook Pro, instead they came out with their Air. So a lost sale.

I had many of the issues others report and have fixed or worked around most. I summarised them at http://www.hutsby.net/search/label/Hackintosh.

To answer one question asked before about external monitor support. For me works fine with my 24" Dell at 1920x1200.

All in all truly excellent!

BP

Guest dtizzle
My first post... this was what I was looking for! I would have bought a new Intel 12" Macbook Pro, instead they came out with their Air. So a lost sale.

I had many of the issues others report and have fixed or worked around most. I summarised them at http://www.hutsby.net/search/label/Hackintosh.

To answer one question asked before about external monitor support. For me works fine with my 24" Dell at 1920x1200.

All in all truly excellent!

BP

thanks, this was helpful.

there are many many threads at msi wind forums that would be glad to have a link to your site.

dt

Hi Paul, with all new updated kexts happening in dedicated forums for osx86, do you have any suggested upgraded kexts that we can use over your .zipped drivers in the first page?

cheers, asae

Guest the_accidental

A question about VGA out for all you folks who have this working:

As far as i can tell, it'll work extending the desktop, not mirroring? What about clamshell mode though? (laptop screen off, might need to use insomniaX or similar to stop it sleeping?)

What resolutions are working?

Guest Zachhhh

Hello all,

I had an idea today. I've been searching for a possible way of dual-booting XP and Leopard without using an external DVD drive. My idea is this: taking either the Kalyway or iATKOS distro of Leopard, creating an ISO image, then booting the ISO image in a VirtualBox.

Would I be able to install Leopard to one of the physical disk partitions from the VirtualBox?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Guest dtizzle

THANK YOU PAUL (and others)

got my wind 6cell with 2gb ram and 1490 dell wifi running like a leopard in just a few hours. migrating from another mac was the real challenge - tried using timemachine (mistake) and wifi (mistake) then just used a second hard drive to drag and drop the important info. worked brilliantly.

paul - please repost your paypal beer account, cause you are definitely going to be drinking on me. thanks

dtizzle

also>> vga second monitor works no configuration in extended desktop at 1280x something resolution no problems whatsoever.

edit:: clamshell works without issue with a usb-mouse.

Edited by dtizzle

Guest Zachhhh
THANK YOU PAUL (and others)

got my wind 6cell with 2gb ram and 1490 dell wifi running like a leopard in just a few hours. migrating from another mac was the real challenge - tried using timemachine (mistake) and wifi (mistake) then just used a second hard drive to drag and drop the important info. worked brilliantly.

paul - please repost your paypal beer account, cause you are definitely going to be drinking on me. thanks

dtizzle

also>> vga second monitor works no configuration in extended desktop at 1280x something resolution no problems whatsoever.

Why would you change your wifi card and void your warranty when you could download the driver for the standard wireless card? Does it not work? I'm just curious because I will be installing Leopard with the iATKOS distro.

Guest Dogcow
Why would you change your wifi card and void your warranty when you could download the driver for the standard wireless card? Does it not work? I'm just curious because I will be installing Leopard with the iATKOS distro.

There is no driver for the pre-installed wifi card, hence the need for the 1490.

Guest Zachhhh
There is no driver for the pre-installed wifi card, hence the need for the 1490.

Sorry, I saw the audio drivers in Italian and thought it was for wifi. Are there any super-cheap USB wifi dongles that are plug-and-play with Leopard?

Guest notle ronyar

"Before you start - ensure you have BIOS version 1.05 installed! You can view the BIOS version by entering the BIOS setup (press 'del' at startup).

- MSI machines: download your BIOS update here

- Advent machines: download your BIOS update here

After updating your BIOS, enter BIOS setup and press F9 to 'restore best performance defaults'. This step is VITAL!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul,

The MSI bios link that you provide only has bios 1.06. Do you think that this bios will work with your Leopard OSX86 install guide? I am eagerly looking forward to installing tonight when I get home from work. I have an EEE 701 and I just bought a MSI Wind last night! Your guide is wonderful, and I look forward to following it carefully, step by step. Thanks for your help, if you, or anyone else, can answer the bios 1.06 question.

I also noticed there is a firmware update for the webcam (to be installed first while in Windows, I assume?). Do you suggest updating this firmware before doing the Leopard install?

Thanks for your help, :D

notle

Guest the_accidental

edit:: clamshell works without issue with a usb-mouse.

Thanks for testing this for me, might just have to get me one of these!

Guest Paul (MVP)

A number of people have asked how they can make donations, you can do so my clicking here (choose any amount that suits you!). All donations will go ONLY towards buying the next Netbook to OSX! :D Step by step for Aspire One next perhaps?

Guest notle ronyar

:D COMPLETE & TOTAL LEOPARD SUCCESS! :D

Thanks Paul, and others, for many helpful hints and excellent posts!

I am the proud owner of a fully updated OSX86'd MSI Wind! Currently listening to LCD Sound System, "North American Scum" on iTunes, and this little dream machine is purring like a kitten. Graphics look spiffy, ethernet works, all Apple updates installed, and now to purchase a Dell wireless card and I'll be the happiest surfer in the internet cafes.

Next project: Install XP on second partition, set up dual boot. (Need Windows for work, sadly.)

This is the sweetest black mac clone in the world. No issues so far. Of course, will have to spring for a small USB headphone adapter. Can't always be blasting LCD Sound System at full volume in the library, you know...