Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Okera

:D Ha Paul Okera here. Ive been thinking about getting a netbook, the msiwind u115 with the duel SSD and a mechanical drives. Wanted to know if the osx install works on it? Can I upgrade from 1 gb to 2gb? Whats the max? and can you confirm that there going to come out with an upgraded model with a 16 gb SSD Drive? if they are I might just put the purchase on hold until then. Thank also great job on the installation video. ;)

Guest winemaker01
never use the system updater to update your OS install on the Wind.

I recently rebuilt my Hackintosh using the MSIWindOSX 'distro' instead of the Kelyway version discussed in this thread. Personally I found it was better and, as it has a larger following, there is more help out there. Currnetly running on 10.5.7 with no problems at all.

John I am new to all this and seek help. I am in Australia and recently bought a WindU100+ that I would like to have running either Windows 7 or Snow leopard. I guess I have to wait until we get past the beta version for windows as I gather it will not work past the planned release date. Secondly, have you found anyone who has snow leopard on a Wind yet?

I am also hoping that the wifi and mic will work without too much fiddling.

Guest bigtreeman
Last update: 14/07/08 - video and images online!

48. Almost done! All you need to do now is to get a network connection (either by Ethernet or Wireless if you are using a non-standard card), and run 'Software Update' from the 'Apple' menu to get the latest software updates.

I'm new to MacOSX

a problem for me was an online software update to 10.5.7

which left me with a kernel panic.

How should I handle future software updates which mess with the kernel?

I'm now doing a complete re-install

Guest fliedrice

hi paul i need help opening files. i have kext files on my mac 10.4.8 but i cant open them because i have no sound or i cant get onto the internet so could you plaese help me.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darobman

Please help if you can; I searched this thread and the world and see others have had my problem but the solution is puzzling.

I just purchased my MSI Wind U100 with 160GB HDD , 2GB RAM, and bought the DELL 1490. Almost everything went according to Paul's excellent write up and video. However the resolution of 1024x600 is just not available.

I have tried;

Reinstalling Kexts

Repairing Permissions

Starting over from scratch

Installing SwitcherResx <-- Now this works but why pay 20 dollars for something if I don't need it.

Your thoughts please.

Aloha,

rob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thecopydude

This is a first post and, first of all, congratulations to Paul for blazing the trail here.

Here are a few comments some of you might find useful.

1. There are now a few more notebooks on the market you might like to consider, other than the Wind or Advent. I bought a Toshiba N280, also with the Atom processor, because it had a better keyboard.

2. Will Paul's instructions work with another netbook? It depends upon the hardware. It is worth discovering what motherboard, cpu, network card etc you have in a machine you want to hack before you buy it. You can do this at:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2

This useful page tells you which components have been tested and which require patches.

3. There's now a choice of installing Leopard using either Kalyway - Paul's method - or IATKOS V7. Again, success depends from machine to machine. The advantage of IATKOS is that it can install a later version of Leopard. But some components are more Kalyway friendly, so reference the wiki link above.

To make a choice, first visit the IATKOS forum:

http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewforum.php?...b812b6bca3bc00b

And here you will find the installation tutorial:

http://www.freewebs.com/bass-2k7/installingiatkosv10i.htm

4. If you are going to choose Paul's method, you should also take the time to visit the Insanely Mac Forum where the Kalyway 10.5.2 release is discussed. There a lots of links to patches and fixes for resolution, ethernet, whatever.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...98461&st=40

Along with Paul's instructions, and the subsequent forum replies, I think you should now be able to troubleshoot anything using these resources and install Leopard on a wide range of machines.

5. General Tips

Downloading either Kalyway or IATKOs is a tedious process but it is the most important. A corrupted tranfer will mean a bad installation. Do a checksum after download and burn at the slowest speed possible with high quality media.

Some of the problems mentioned here - and on insanely Mac - are Apple bugs with the earlier releases of Leopard. When I first upgraded a G4 iBook to Leopard - with a genuine retail Mac OS - I experienced Kernel Panic (the grey screen) and the looping back to the start of the Welcome Menu. I also had problems after using the Combo Updaters from Software Update. Nothing to do but erase and start over with single phase updates. So don't give up . . . it does work. Once you are past 10.5.4 these problems appear to go away.

Guest thecopydude

This is a first post and, first of all, congratulations to Paul for blazing the trail here.

Here are a few comments some of you might find useful.

1. There are now a few more notebooks on the market you might like to consider, other than the Wind or Advent. I bought a Toshiba N280, also with the Atom processor, because it had a better keyboard.

2. Will Paul's instructions work with another netbook? It depends upon the hardware. It is worth discovering what motherboard, cpu, network card etc you have in a machine you want to hack before you buy it. You can do this at:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2

This useful page tells you which components have been tested and which require patches.

3. There's now a choice of installing Leopard using either Kalyway - Paul's method - or IATKOS V7. Again, success depends from machine to machine. The advantage of IATKOS is that it can install a later version of Leopard. But some components are more Kalyway friendly, so reference the wiki link above.

To make a choice, first visit the IATKOS forum:

http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewforum.php?...b812b6bca3bc00b

And here you will find the installation tutorial:

http://www.freewebs.com/bass-2k7/installingiatkosv10i.htm

4. If you are going to choose Paul's method, you should also take the time to visit the Insanely Mac Forum where the Kalyway 10.5.2 release is discussed. There a lots of links to patches and fixes for resolution, ethernet, whatever.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...98461&st=40

Along with Paul's instructions, and the subsequent forum replies, I think you should now be able to troubleshoot anything using these resources and install Leopard on a wide range of machines.

5. General Tips

Downloading either Kalyway or IATKOs is a tedious process but it is the most important. A corrupted tranfer will mean a bad installation. Do a checksum after download and burn at the slowest speed possible with high quality media.

Some of the problems mentioned here - and on insanely Mac - are Apple bugs with the earlier releases of Leopard. When I first upgraded a G4 iBook to Leopard - with a genuine retail Mac OS - I experienced Kernel Panic (the grey screen) and the looping back to the start of the Welcome Menu. I also had problems after using the Combo Updaters from Software Update. Nothing to do but erase and start over with single phase updates. So don't give up . . . it does work. Once you are past 10.5.4 these problems appear to go away.

• 1 month later...
Guest LockeXXV

Hello Paul, thanks for the great article. I just got my MSI Wind u100 and had it converted to Apple in only a bit over an hour. I'm loving it! I do have one minor problem, though.

The battery just doesn't seem to be recognized. I've tried reinstalling kexts and all, repairing permissions, etc.., but alas. Whether I'm plugged in or not, it doesn't show me anything but a battery with an X on it, and whenever I run updates it warns me that I'm on no direct power source (even when I am).

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

I've been struggeling with my Medion E1215 netbook for a while. I have a dual boot Windows 7 and OS X. I have installed a used Dell dw 1490 in my Medion. In Windows 7 i have a perfect wifi connection but in OSX it won't work. OSX is not recognizing my Dell dw 1490. Ethernet is working fine. Do you know the answer for my problem?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

Kees

Netherlands

Guest Blackhole1

Hi,

I just got a Dell 1490 miniPCI wireless card (BCM94311MCA GBP2 rev P2) and replaced the builtin RT2700. Unfortunately, OSX (msiwindosx.iso, updated to 10.5.7) does not recognize the card. I did not reinstall OS X.

Can anyone help and tell me how to "activate" it? (It is switched on). In the forums it said, that it should run natively. When checking in "About this Mac", it says that no PCI-card is installed :D

Update: lspci does not list the card either. Does this mean that the card is broken or can it be something else?

Thanks!

Blackhole

Edited by Blackhole1

Hi Blackhole,

I have the same problem. I hope Paul can help us! How did you updated to OSX 10.5.7? I run now OSX (msiwindosx) 10.5.2.

Thanks in advance!

Kees

Hi,

I just got a Dell 1490 miniPCI wireless card (BCM94311MCA GBP2 rev P2) and replaced the builtin RT2700. Unfortunately, OSX (msiwindosx.iso, updated to 10.5.7) does not recognize the card. I did not reinstall OS X.

Can anyone help and tell me how to "activate" it? (It is switched on). In the forums it said, that it should run natively. When checking in "About this Mac", it says that no PCI-card is installed :D

Update: lspci does not list the card either. Does this mean that the card is broken or can it be something else?

Thanks!

Blackhole

Guest Blackhole1
How did you updated to OSX 10.5.7? I run now OSX (msiwindosx) 10.5.2.

Hi Kees,

at first I used an external USB keyboard and mouse and updated via Software Update.

What works even better is to download Cybergregs driver pack (google it), then run the Software Update without immediately rebooting, running the installation of the driver pack, then reboot.

This worked till 10.5.7 flawlessly. I haven't dared updating to 10.5.8 because some people reported complications, especially sleep not working (which seems to be solved, I read somewhere).

Good luck.

Hope someone here knows an answer to the lspci-problem. I replaced the Dell card with the RT2700 again :D Better to have crappy wireless than no wireless.

Blackhole

Edited by Blackhole1

• 3 months later...
Guest Mr.David

Hello I'm a newbie. From Mongolia, Asia.

I've already installed Mac OSX on my MSI Wind notebook.

But I've problem. I touchpad is not working. Therefore I'm working with my mouse. How can I install touchpad driver without reinstalling OSX?

Is there any way to install it?

PS: Thanks understanding my bad English.

• 2 months later...
Guest sport2772

Awesome post ;) It didn't work for me on my Acer Aspire One D250-1759. But i did get it to work using iAtoks. I had to use 5-6 different guides to get it. Every thing works except the inter mic and Time Machine. heres the specs for my netbook. For those of you wanting to do this on a similar netbook google is your best friend and good luck.

Edited by sport2772

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest scott1202
500GB HDD should work, any Sata 2.5" should be fine!

P

My wife would love this, right now she’s going to have twins in July and she is pretty big, it would be nice if she could lay on the bed and watch some dvd’s in our bedroom, great prize. Thank you! http://www.gpscardvd.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lunkan

Thx for a really great guide, BUT, of course there's a but :angry:

I am getting stuck with my U100 in the dialog "Do you already own a Mac?" (18:51 into the edu film). When clicking continue I get sent (after a while) back to "Welcome".

Don't really know why. Have even tried to register exactly like you. I.e UK and Brittish, but no luck ;)

Please advise!

Edit: Sorry, RTFM is a thing I don't do good :D I thought it had something to do with my network and of course!!! Didn't select the regular card even though it was clearly pointed out! My bad.

Edited by Lunkan

• 5 months later...

Hi Paul

Considering loading OSX on my Wind U100.

1) Wondering how does the OSX affect battery run times (is it similar or less)?

2) Also, have you or anyone made this dual boot with windows (unfortunately I still need it for a few things (ie, connecting to the work network).

Thanks

Steve

• 9 months later...
Guest Broad1010

Hi Paul

I have a Advent 4213 with 2Gb ram , 160Gb HDD and BIOS 1.02 i have also Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with the update.

I cannot find the updated BIOS 1.05.

Please can you advise.

Yours

Neil