HTC Diamond Battery Life

Guest Bigbaker

Guest Bigbaker

Is anyone having battery life problems? mine has lasted from 730am today untill 6.30pm with not much use other than a few texts. not even any data use. is it worth sacrificing the thickness and going for the extended battery?

Guest Neil5459

If you aren't using much in the way of Data, then the most effective way of extending battery life is to turn off 3G, and keep the data at normal GSM/GPRS.

Go to Settings/Phone/Band and change the top box from Auto to GSM. Leave the bottom box unchanged. You will se a 30-50% improvement in battery life, especially if you are in a weak 3G signal area.

If you need to do a big download, or streaming if within a good 3G area, just reverse the setting while you actually need 3G.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kushmir

Battery life on the Diamond is appalling. Yesterday I made 5 mins phone calls, checked email once, no other use of the phone and got 8hrs 30mins battery life. This phone was a replacement for another one that had a similar problem, today Orange are sending me my third one to see if that will be any better.

Guest Confucious

Why is this thread in 'Smartphone General Discussion' when the Diamond is not a Smartphone (non-touchscreen) and this is already being discussed in the Diamond forum?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Animefan
Anyone getting good battery life?

After setting the things that Iheard, im getting a quite good one.

(main use: texting)

Disabling the 3g part as above, and 2ndly which seemed to do a lot for me:

Set down the background light to the 3rd lowest one.

This and remembering to lock the "keys" when not using it, seems to give me 2 days of lifetime

Guest vii_voo

So people are happy with the battery life they are getting? Does anyone know if it's possible to ROM update a Compact 4, but also to be able to revert it back to it's original state if necessary? Or update the T-Mobile rom with HTC updates to improved the battery life?

Guest Confucious

AFAIK no one has had a warranty repair refused with a different ROM, the first thing they do is Flash it anyway. Personally I wouldn't worry - but then I can be a bit reckless at times!

Guest vii_voo
AFAIK no one has had a warranty repair refused with a different ROM, the first thing they do is Flash it anyway. Personally I wouldn't worry - but then I can be a bit reckless at times!

Do you think a flashing a HTC ROM on a Compact 4 would significantly increase it's battery life. Also, will any setup have to be done to make it pick T-Mobile network and data settings etc?

Guest Confucious

I don't have a diamond but have heard that different ROMs can increase battery life. Check out the relevant forum on xda-developers.

There are cabs available to pick the network settings - not sure if they are in the stock HTC ROM. I believe TLR's ROM is the one most people use but, like I say, check out xda-devs.

Good luck.

Guest jimbouk

Whilst there are all the usual things one can do re battery life (such as dropping to 2g; turning off BEAM, BT, sound; reducing frequency of email polling etc), I have found running the 1.25.0.5 radio rom has improved things. Seems to have better signal strength and longer battery.

Here are some tips that HTC are currently offering customers on how to preserver battery life -

1. Stop running the GPS software if not in use. (Tap Start > Settings > System tab >Task Manager.)

2. Disconnect your data connection if not in use. (Tap Start > Programs > Comm Manager.)

3. Turn off your Bluetooth connection if not in use. (Tap Start > Programs > Comm Manager.)

4. Turn off your Wi-Fi connection if not in use. (Tap Start > Programs > Comm Manager.)

5. Change Power Save Mode from Best Battery to Best Performance in the Wireless LAN setting. (Tap Start > Settings > Connections tab > Wireless LAN > Power Mode tab...)

6. Please check the sync schedule for receiving and downloading incoming mails. For after work hours, it is recommended that you increase the time interval for receiving e-mails to save battery. (Tap Start> Programs > ActiveSync > Menu > Schedule to adjust the sync status in Peak time and Off-peak time.)

7. Set your device to auto adjust the backlight so that the light sensor will automatically adjust the brightness of the screen. (Tap Start > Settings > Backlight tab and then select check Auto adjust backlight.)

8. In standby mode, WCDMA uses lesser power than GSM mode. On the other hand, in talk mode, GSM uses lesser power than WCDMA. You can tap Start > Settings > Phone > Band tab, and then set your network type to Auto.

9. Stop running the applications that are not in use. (Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Task Manager.)

Guest tmohammad
Here are some tips that HTC are currently offering customers on how to preserver battery life -

1. Stop running the GPS software if not in use. (Tap Start > Settings > System tab >Task Manager.)

2. Disconnect your data connection if not in use. (Tap Start > Programs > Comm Manager.)

3. Turn off your Bluetooth connection if not in use. (Tap Start > Programs > Comm Manager.)

4. Turn off your Wi-Fi connection if not in use. (Tap Start > Programs > Comm Manager.)

5. Change Power Save Mode from Best Battery to Best Performance in the Wireless LAN setting. (Tap Start > Settings > Connections tab > Wireless LAN > Power Mode tab...)

6. Please check the sync schedule for receiving and downloading incoming mails. For after work hours, it is recommended that you increase the time interval for receiving e-mails to save battery. (Tap Start> Programs > ActiveSync > Menu > Schedule to adjust the sync status in Peak time and Off-peak time.)

7. Set your device to auto adjust the backlight so that the light sensor will automatically adjust the brightness of the screen. (Tap Start > Settings > Backlight tab and then select check Auto adjust backlight.)

8. In standby mode, WCDMA uses lesser power than GSM mode. On the other hand, in talk mode, GSM uses lesser power than WCDMA. You can tap Start > Settings > Phone > Band tab, and then set your network type to Auto.

9. Stop running the applications that are not in use. (Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Task Manager.)

Surely step 5 should read:

5. Change Power Save Mode from Best Performance to Best Battery in the Wireless LAN setting. (Tap Start > Settings > Connections tab > Wireless LAN > Power Mode tab...)

Guest Neil5459

Agreed- and step 8 may be true in theory, but as the device in WCDMA mode will keep hunting for GSM in a weak signal area (and there are LOTS of those) the battery will be hammered. For best battery keep it in GSM mode, no question :D

Guest estechco

Here's a strange one...

I installed the HTC debug tool(s) a couple of days back and had been keeping an eye on the detailed TBattery application to see how it behaved at different times of the day.

Whilst there wasn't anything particularly out of the ordinary about this, I noted that when I switched off last night it had dropped, fairly steadily, from 100% down to exactly 50% (I hadn't done much surfing or made many calls in case you're wondering and have most of the tips in place mentioned in this thread).

This morning when I've switched it back on, I fired TBattery back up and it's back up to 56%!?! Not just temporarily either, an hour later and it's still on 55%.

Before anyone says it is TBattery at fault, the reason I noted this so quickly was that the main batter bar had gone up from 2 bars to 3!

Whats that all about?

Guest vii_voo
Agreed- and step 8 may be true in theory, but as the device in WCDMA mode will keep hunting for GSM in a weak signal area (and there are LOTS of those) the battery will be hammered. For best battery keep it in GSM mode, no question :D

So WCDMA is the biggest battery drain. What about the VGA screen and backlight?

Guest estechco
So WCDMA is the biggest battery drain. What about the VGA screen and backlight?

Sorry to be thick, but what is the relationship between WCDMA/GSM and GPRS/3G/HSDPA. Is there a numpty's guide to "this = that"?

As I have recently noted from another thread, my current data bundle doesn't alow me to get any faster than 3G (despite seeing the H symbol), is there any of these settings that I can reduce (to save battery) without dropping further back still from 3G down to 2G?

Guest Neil5459
Sorry to be thick, but what is the relationship between WCDMA/GSM and GPRS/3G/HSDPA. Is there a numpty's guide to "this = that"?

As I have recently noted from another thread, my current data bundle doesn't alow me to get any faster than 3G (despite seeing the H symbol), is there any of these settings that I can reduce (to save battery) without dropping further back still from 3G down to 2G?

There are a number of formats for decribing mobile phone protocols, depending on locale. Microsoft/HTC have settled on the US nomenclature which may be the more correct version

In essence we have GSM services (normal phone calls, SMS, standard GPRS and Edge data connections) and WCDMA data services which currently include 3G, HSDPA (download) and HSUPA (upload). These show as G, E, 3G (or U) and H in the taskbar. In UK, the WCDMA protocol may be called UMTS by the operators.

The advantage of WCDMA is that you can have data transfer simultaneously with voice traffic, so if you are downloading something, the device can handle a voice call as well (in theory, though it doesn't always work!); with GSM, it's either/or, so if you are uploading/downloading anything, an incoming call will be bounced to Voicemail as if the phone was engaged.

However, WCDMA/3G uses a much higher transmission frequency, with a poorer persistence through objects, so the phones receiver has to be in a higher power receive state, which is why the battery life is much shorter (around 20-30% compared with GSM) unless you are in a very strong reception area for 3G.

You can't acheive any battery saving by turning off HSDPA, as this only kicks in during active data transfer, so if you aren't being offered HSDPA speeds, you won't be using the power it needs.

For most everyday tasks, GSM is perfectly adequate- Email, Weather updates, light surfing etc; most of us only switch to WCDMA for more sustained web browsing or data download.