New Video Drivers For Your Kaiser

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill
The guys over at HTC Class Action have come up with the first unofficial drivers for the qualcomm chipset that take advantage of the available hardware acceleration that until now have not been taken advantage of, and thus led to the creation of the class action.

At the moment it is reported that these have only been tested on Duttys Diamond V1 ROM which is WM 6.1. If you want to see what it is about follow the link to their website here and install at your own risk. I for one will be backing my kaiser up before installing this update, and of course I will be reporting my findings afterwards. After receiving a new Diamond on Wednesday, and having it snatched back by the missus yesterday (it was kinda her phone upgrade anyway :D ) I am longing for the kind of performance that quite obviously can be achieved.

If you decide to install it, or indeed have already done so please let us know.

Cheers

Phill

[Via: Coolsmartphone.com]

Edit: Now with a short video showing the difference!

Guest deadphill

Oooooooh

I tell you what, looking at the video, albeit a tube that spins around is about all there is to show, its the fastest looking video I have ever seen on the Kaiser.

You can tell it needs some improvement, however up till now these have not existed. Could this yet breathe more life into the kaiser I wonder?

Cheers

Phill

Guest Monolithix

Installed on my Vario III, now the lights app just crashes out! Worked fine (albeit slowly) before :s

Going to try TCPMP...

Guest deadphill

Do you have Duttys Diamond V1 ROM? There are reported crashes of it but on mine it works fine, though there are a load of ok buttons that mean nothing to me that I have to press first!

Cheers

Phill

Guest Boinng

It doesn't work on the standard HTC 6.1 ROM unfortunately, I've tried it and had the same disappointing results as others. It seems it may only be that Dutty variant it's actually compatible with, which is a shame.

Whether it's working for you or not, remember that although it's called a video driver, this is NOT a "driver for video" - it won't have *any* effect on TPCMP, Coreplayer, etc. It does 3D graphics only, and only then for specific games and software which reference it.

It's may hopefully be a stepping stone to more drivers for other things like Direct Draw etc, which will improve video playback, but there's no telling when or if that will come to pass.

Guest deadphill

Exactly, and the problem being is that there will be a handset out very very soon that will be able to do all of this without the need for drivers.

As each day passes I am considering selling my device more and more, which is a shame, but I am sure it will be worth it to get the Vario 4. At the moment I think I am just seeing how long I can hold out for!

Cheers

Phill

Guest chucky.egg

OK, I've followed the story, but know nothing about what benefits this might actually give me.

Will it improve the performance of CoPilot screen refreshes (anyone know?) or general Windows screen updates (it suggests not in their blurb).

So other than seeing the spinning tube, what will it do for me as a non-video watcher? If there's a basic performance boost for Windows and/or 3rd party apps I'll take it.

Guest Bibbleq
OK, I've followed the story, but know nothing about what benefits this might actually give me.

Will it improve the performance of CoPilot screen refreshes (anyone know?) or general Windows screen updates (it suggests not in their blurb).

So other than seeing the spinning tube, what will it do for me as a non-video watcher? If there's a basic performance boost for Windows and/or 3rd party apps I'll take it.

From what I understand there will not be any benefit for most people with these drivers yet, they only affect OpenGL rendering engines however it is a very good step in the right direction and the ultimate goal is to have 2d acceleration (main windows use etc...).

Guest NuShrike

It takes advantage of the existing driver support from the HTC WM6.1 update. So technically GDI is partially accelerated already (nicer screen rotates now), and you can blame the rest of the slowness from inheriting an outdated Windows 3.1-Win98 graphics architecture.

Remember Quickdraw on the Mac? Display PDF? Once they switched entirely to OpenGL.. then things improved.

Meantime, ya most apps are GDI or GAPI only (Garmin Mobile XT, etc), so not much help yet. The goal maybe to convince vendors/developers to support D3D/OpenGL in their graphics engine.

There maybe a security setting that is preventing the new drivers from working with the official HTC WM6.1 roms. That may be resolved soon.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Helix

I just find it a bit of a joke how enthusiasts have to make the effort, with a lack of resources and in their own free-time, to make video rendering drivers for a 'premium' handset.

My Kaiser serves its purpose (for the time being) as a phone with push email. But having recently updated to 6.1 and subsequently stumbling across numerous bugs (TomTom crashing upon going landscape, SMS window bugs etc); my patience has began to grow thin. I am fed up of writing 3-4 words infront of what is displayed on the screen of an email or text message (even after turning off T9 search dictionary thingy).

I can't see myself upgrading to a Diamond, all the independent reviews are already slating the device for having a slow software interface and yet its meant to be an upgrade on the TyTn II. The screen cannot supposedly handle quick in-sucession screen taps and so the touch-flo technology is limited with this flaw(PCPro Review). And worst of all HTC decided to go with a miniscule 900mAH battery forcing you to charge the thing everyday. I can just see GPS lasting all of 2hours at the most.

I have yet to personally try one out and will surely be doing so soon, but I'm not holding out for much.

Edited by Helix

Guest Monolithix

Touchflo3D is not as slow as people seem to be making out. It lags every now and then but its far from the norm, I honestly don't know what the problem was with the PCPro device but its far from reflecting the experience i've had on mine. Of course if you are setting yourself up to expect a poor device you'll probably concentrate on those odd hiccups.

In use I am thoroughly impressed with the on screen keyboard. I've tried to use them before but always switch back to hardware keyboard devices (my previous handsets include the Kaiser, Hermes and Wizard), I'm as yet to have gotten even close to giving up on the 20-key soft keyboard on the Diamond.

At least you're giving the Diamond a go. I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Guest tsutton

I'm interested to know about Tomtom too. Has nayone tried it yet on the Kaiser and Tomtom 6?

Guest pete_thomson
I'm interested to know about Tomtom too. Has nayone tried it yet on the Kaiser and Tomtom 6?

Installed on the latest TLR rom....Lights.exe now crashes.....Tomtom is the same.

Guest deadphill

Guys

It is reported to only work with Duttys Diamond ROM V1. This is more of a proof of concept at the moment. It is supposed to show that using the 3D hardware on the qualcomm chip in the kaiser is possible.

If it has any other unexpected uses then thats great but dont expect them.... yet!

As for tomtom, I wouldnt have thought that was 3D rendering is it?

Cheers

Phill

Guest mikeeey

lol its not 1fps, its 0.3fps. about 1 frame per 3 seconds.

I have dutty's 4/29 rom and I dont wanna switch to any newer wm6.1 rom. His is wm6.1 but not based off of the official wm6.1 for the kaiser.

I dont like any of the newer wm6.1 roms because there is something they dont have that doesnt support quake 1 and 2, the older roms do support whatever it is.

unfortunatly i cant install the drivers with this 4/29 rom, but i did install the newest hyperdragon III rom and they worked great! but no quake :D

Guest NuShrike
It is reported to only work with Duttys Diamond ROM V1. This is more of a proof of concept at the moment. It is supposed to show that using the 3D hardware on the qualcomm chip in the kaiser is possible.
Sorry, it's been reported to work for HyperDragon IIIr (note the r), L26 v9, and any other released WM6.1 derived cooked/tweaked roms such as Dutty's Diamond V1.

However, hybrid roms will not work (because you shouldn't be hybriding important components), nor pure vanilla WM6.1 roms (only due to some weird security issue), and any WM6.1 roms based on pre-release leaks such as the April roms.

Also, the L26 series has broken drivers for MIDI ringtones, but nobody seems to notice.

Future progress may be to port TouchFLO3D from the Diamond over. Current software such as Garmin Mobile XT only seem to use GDI, and such for their graphics maybe because that's the most stable, and cost effective, API interface on these phones.

Thanks to all the naysayers, doubters, reviewers who didn't dig further into this vs the KS20 or Pantech phone, etc for supporting the driver effort.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest deadphill
Sorry, it's been reported to work for HyperDragon IIIr (note the r), L26 v9, and any other released WM6.1 derived cooked/tweaked roms such as Dutty's Diamond V1.

I lifted this from the class action website, linked in my original post:

"These drivers require a Kaiser (TyTN II) and a ROM based on the official HTC WM 6.1 update!. Exactly which ROMs are compatible is not yet known. We have tested this on multiple Kaisers, but all of them were running Dutty's Diamond V1 ROM. It is extremely unlikely that these files will work out-of-the-box on any other MSM7x00 based device (at this time). "

However, hybrid roms will not work (because you shouldn't be hybriding important components), nor pure vanilla WM6.1 roms (only due to some weird security issue), and any WM6.1 roms based on pre-release leaks such as the April roms.

Again, not an issue to me as I don't really care! Sorry if this sounds harsh, its not meant to but really to demonstrate my feelings are that if it works, I'm not bothered! However if it stops the kaiser from working with 3D then I think I will probably think again.

Also, the L26 series has broken drivers for MIDI ringtones, but nobody seems to notice.

I couldn't possibly comment, as I dont use MIDI.

Future progress may be to port TouchFLO3D from the Diamond over. Current software such as Garmin Mobile XT only seem to use GDI, and such for their graphics maybe because that's the most stable, and cost effective, API interface on these phones.

Agreed

Thanks to all the naysayers, doubters, reviewers who didn't dig further into this vs the KS20 or Pantech phone, etc for supporting the driver effort.

Sorry I think you will have to explain more what you mean by this last comment. I'm confused! :D

Cheers

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.