screen protectors and their removal on thouchscreen phones

Guest Gavink151

Guest Gavink151

Hi,

Just got the diamond (liking it so far, that game with the ball is AWESOME!) and stuck on the screen protector that came with it. I had given up on screen protectors but with this phone it seemed prudent given the interface.

Anyway, I dont see the screen saver lasting forever and I am curious - since this is a touch screen phone - how resilient is it to having things stuck to it then peeled off again? i.e. any special care and so forth if I do remove the protector to replace it on this type of display?

thanks all :D

Guest James

As far as i'm aware no problems :D just peal off and replace as offen as you like....

i'm waiting for the WriteShield diamond screen protector to be released... (the best ive used in the past)

i'm waiting for the WriteShield diamond screen protector to be released... (the best ive used in the past)

What is good about it? He asks curiously.

I'm using the Diamond one, and it seems a bit susceptible to grease from the skin - the screen is lovely and bright, but it's a bit like looking through a haze at times. I had simialr issues with the TyTN, and had to resort to using the stylus.

Guest James

They actually improve the screen :D they do 2 versions... one that improves the contrast and one that is more anti-glare...

I have use them on few devices... MDA Compact II, Eten X500 and Eten X800

The WriteSHIELD AG solution features anti-glare screen protectors that eliminate 99% of UV and actually improve screen contrast. The WriteSHIELD C2 solution features a crystal clear, glossy finish, also eliminates 99% of UV and does not reduce screen brightness.

There expensive but very good! :D

Guest Gavink151

I'm using the Diamond one, and it seems a bit susceptible to grease from the skin - the screen is lovely and bright, but it's a bit like looking through a haze at times. I had simialr issues with the TyTN, and had to resort to using the stylus.

Yeah I just used that one, it seems fine but it is a grease magnet - mind you the whole phone shows up greasy finger prints pretty well!

I managed to put the protector on ok and ended up with only a slightly dodgy bit in the corner. Actually thats why I originally stopped using them on my gadgets - it is an exercise in frustration to get them fitted perfectly! I think a phone that will be fingered on the screen alot probably needs one though.

More so I feel it's to protect from the stylus, and the accidental keys-in-pocket-or-similar scratch - I'm in charge of a small "fleet" of mobile phones at work, and we had one expensive phone essentially ruined because it didn't have a screen protector, and the guy put it in his pocket with some keys.

Applying the screen protector is a bit of an art. Getting it off the host material cleanly is the first thing. Then trying to get an edge on first, and then moving up with some form of applicator e.g. a credit card or similar. This hopefully ensures it goes on cleanly, with the minimum of air bubbles.

Guest tjosan
As far as i'm aware no problems :D just peal off and replace as offen as you like....

Don't peel it off, use a bit of the sticky side of the tape and pull it off. Putting a new one on, use isopropanol to clean the screen and again use the sticky side of the tape to pick up any residue.

That's the way the Pro's are doing it.

Guest James
Don't peel it off, use a bit of the sticky side of the tape and pull it off. Putting a new one on, use isopropanol to clean the screen and again use the sticky side of the tape to pick up any residue.

:D

Guest JonStatt

Just a warning for others.

The T-mobile Compact IV screen protector is DIFFERENT to the Touch Diamond. Due to the more curvey shape.

Expansys have the compact IV version listed but as pre-order only right now.

Getting these protectors on is an art in itself. But you should only peel off the top first, leaving the backing sheet still attached to the rest. Then after aligning the top part ensuring the "earpiece hole" and top edge line up correctly, rub your finger up and down the sheet gradually unpeeling the rest from the backing sheet as you go.

Guest noxide

I'm waiting for the Martin Fields one for the T-mobile style version of the Diamond (they already have one for the Diamond itself) .. had one of these for my tytnII and it really does improve the look of the screen. A bit pricey as well, but well worth it! :D

Martin Fields Diamond Protector

Guest Gavink151

Are the stock ones that come with the phone really sticky? if you "pull it off" would it not pull up on the touchscreen membrane/surface? I dont know if they are fragile enough to be at risk..?

Guest captainsensible
Are the stock ones that come with the phone really sticky? if you "pull it off" would it not pull up on the touchscreen membrane/surface? I dont know if they are fragile enough to be at risk..?

No it wouldn't.

And agreed with earlier post, Martin Fields screen protectors are excellent!

• 2 months later...
Guest shaggyguitarist

Ive had my diamond a week now, and not got round to attaching the protector. Now, how should I best clean the screen before applying it. Im not just going to rub it on my sleeve or use a wet tissue. I want to make sure there is no grease or dirt under the protector. btw its the one in the box that came with orange. I didnt actually notice it was in there until I was about to store away the box.

Guest estechco
Ive had my diamond a week now, and not got round to attaching the protector. Now, how should I best clean the screen before applying it. Im not just going to rub it on my sleeve or use a wet tissue. I want to make sure there is no grease or dirt under the protector. btw its the one in the box that came with orange. I didnt actually notice it was in there until I was about to store away the box.

The typical response is normally, "with a lint free cloth"...wherever the hell you get those from. I've found the funny little felt bag (T-Mo only) quite good for cleaning mine. Other options are perhaps a little bit of surgical spirit. I've used that before on the end of cotton bud which worked quite well.

Guest StarMonkey

I had the one from the box on mine for a few months until my stylus developed a sharp edge (no idea how), and one evening I noticed a few annoying scratches on the protector. I got a martin fields one from ebay and when it arrived I was a bit worried about taking the old one off (ie would it damage the screen).

Luckily, it's easy. Just get your nail under a corner and peel it off, it's nowhere near as sticky as it seems.

Applying the martin fields one was just as easy (maybe I'm just a natural :lol:). I think it's much better than the one that came in the box - it feels a lot smoother and the screen does seem brighter (might be the placebo effect).

I've had it on for a month and wouldn't hesitate to get another martin fields if mine got scratched. I didn't bother with the camera hole protector (I can't see the camera hole being that likely to get scratched), and I also didnt put the one for the bottom buttons on (it doesn't fit perfectly and the touch wheel is half covered making things like zooming in opera a bit more tricky).

As for cleaning the screen, I just wiped it on my shirt (cotton) which got it perfectly clean pretty quickly.