3's coverage

Guest awarner

Guest awarner (MVP)

Thought I would pick up a PAYG SIM and make use of the £5 a month data deal.

SIM arrived popped it into the JasJar and then had the wonderful roaming triangle next to the G.

Now I don't live in a rural area as such so would have expected not to be roaming from home.

I'm dreading what will happen on holiday to sunny Devon.

Guest skanna

I live in Fareham and work in Southampton. I get 3G coverage at home albeit poor, but only roaming at work. I dont think you will be able to use the data service on roaming. I certainly cant.

The phone indicates that you are connected to Orange, obviously on 2G. If your in London you are ok, but outside the service is really patchy.

Guest DeanPall

Hi Guys,

If you switch your phone to manual and select O2 as the network provider you can connect to the internet fine on 2G.

Cheers

Dean

Hi Guys,

If you switch your phone to manual and select O2 as the network provider you can connect to the internet fine on 2G.

Cheers

Dean

Dean, any sim bought within the last year or so uses Orange not o2 as its 2g backup.

Don't expect much from Devon though! I was out last night at a pub on the A38 and the only 3g I could get was T. Albeit this was while standing outside! :D

Guest Confucious
How weird, I tried my SIM today in the Shift, and it's magically started working for data even tho i'm in a 2G area!

:D

P

That's weird! I tried putting my Athena in 2G mode only and it didn't like it, I tried the SIM in my C600 and it came up invalid SIM. Maybe I shoulkd try again!

I thought you'd sent yours back though, Paul?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner (MVP)

Just returned from holiday in sunny rainy Devon and had an interesting week with coverage.

I have seen O2, Hutchinsons and Orange while traveling around and even where I was staying I had three different networks.

Popped into a 3 shop in Torquay and the guy there was saying I should not be able to roam with O2 now as 3 has stopped their roaming agreement with them.

One thing he did say that was interesting though, is that 3 now have an agreement with Tmobile to use their transmitters without roaming charges being applied. So technically what ever speed you can get on Tmobile you should also get the same with 3.

Guest jchamier
One thing he did say that was interesting though, is that 3 now have an agreement with Tmobile to use their transmitters without roaming charges being applied. So technically what ever speed you can get on Tmobile you should also get the same with 3.

I thought that deal only covered the 3G(UMTS) masts not 2G? I gather T would be for it, as they had the smallest footprint ofcom licence, and 3 had the biggest.

Guest Confucious
Just returned from holiday in sunny rainy Devon and had an interesting week with coverage.

I have seen O2, Hutchinsons and Orange while traveling around and even where I was staying I had three different networks.

Popped into a 3 shop in Torquay and the guy there was saying I should not be able to roam with O2 now as 3 has stopped their roaming agreement with them.

Check out Humph1234's reply http://www.mobiholics.com/content/t-mobile...ss-3g-coverage/

And for more details:

http://www.mobiholics.com/content/t-mobile...k-sharing-deal/

They are sharing equipment NOT networks - or so it seems.