A few questions before it goes back.

Guest the-jackal

Guest the-jackal

Hi all,

I have had the Touch Diamond now for 2 days and I am having some problems but though i would ask the pros before I send it back. So here it goes.

1) Sometimes the keyboard pops up over what you are trying to put text into. Is this normal or can it be changed somehow.

2) Can you set up groups in you phone book. You know, so you can say send the same text to a set of mates at once without adding them separately?

3) Can you set up ringtones for each person. I like to know who is calling as soon as my phone rings.

I have been using the N95 for over a year now and I think I have just got used to it. Before that I had all the SPVs and didn't think I would ever convert to Symbian but the N95 ticked all the boxes. I really am torn between keeping this and upgrading to the N95 8GB model.

Cheers in advance,

Jackal

1 is a well known "bug" or lacking feature of Opera. I just muddle my way through and it's not a showstopper for me personally. Anything's better than Pocket IE...

Not played enough with the phone bits yet to answer 2 and 3.

Guest Neil5459
2) Can you set up groups in you phone book. You know, so you can say send the same text to a set of mates at once without adding them separately?

3) Can you set up ringtones for each person. I like to know who is calling as soon as my phone rings.

Cheers in advance,

Jackal

2) Not by default though there are some apps available which allow you to define SMS Group sending. This is a free one :D

3) Yes. In the Contact Edit screen is a field for setting the ringtone for that contact

Guest the-jackal
2) Not by default though there are some apps available which allow you to define SMS Group sending. This is a free one :D

3) Yes. In the Contact Edit screen is a field for setting the ringtone for that contact

Thats good news then cheers. Found it now, must of just skipped it as i did look there. :D

One other thing is the alarm. Does it not work if the phone is switched off?

As long as I can do must of the above I think it will be a keeper. :( . Will check out the app for group texts.

Cheers again, both of you. :angry:

Just one more thing. Would it be possible to set up ringtones for set groups?

EDIT: That link leads to a file not found message. :P

Edited by the-jackal

Guest Neil5459
Thats good news then cheers. Found it now, must of just skipped it as i did look there. :D

One other thing is the alarm. Does it not work if the phone is switched off?

As long as I can do must of the above I think it will be a keeper. :angry: . Will check out the app for group texts.

Cheers again, both of you. :D

Depends what you mean by switched off!

If it's fully off by the long press of the power switch, then nothing will work (like a turned off PC) but if it's in standby or Flight Mode (ie the normal 'off' position) then alarms ought to work OK. Alarms won't work if the device is set to silent, and will only vibrate if the phone is set to vibrate.

If in doubt, there are 2 excellent 3rd party alarm programs- SpB Time, and Activekitten Chronos. These work independently of any sound settings on the device, so you could have the phone set to vibrate or silent, but still have alarms sound as normal

Guest the-jackal
Depends what you mean by switched off!

If it's fully off by the long press of the power switch, then nothing will work (like a turned off PC) but if it's in standby or Flight Mode (ie the normal 'off' position) then alarms ought to work OK. Alarms won't work if the device is set to silent, and will only vibrate if the phone is set to vibrate.

If in doubt, there are 2 excellent 3rd party alarm programs- SpB Time, and Activekitten Chronos. These work independently of any sound settings on the device, so you could have the phone set to vibrate or silent, but still have alarms sound as normal

Ok cheers. I will look into them as most of the time I have my phone on silent at night.

:D

Guest bdmoore
Alarms won't work if the device is set to silent, and will only vibrate if the phone is set to vibrate.

If you go to [settings / Clock & Alarms / More] there is a setting for 'Sound alarms even when the device is set to silent or vibrate' - check by default on my Diamond (TLR3 ROM). Haven't tested it as don't really use the alarm on my phone but this should mean your alarms will work even if the device is in silent mode overnight :D

Guest the-jackal
If you go to [settings / Clock & Alarms / More] there is a setting for 'Sound alarms even when the device is set to silent or vibrate' - check by default on my Diamond (TLR3 ROM). Haven't tested it as don't really use the alarm on my phone but this should mean your alarms will work even if the device is in silent mode overnight :D

Not on mine there isn't. :D

Ok got another question. How do you set custom tones for text messages. I know how to change them but cant see my items in the dropdown list.

Make sure the custom sounds are in My Documents\My Ringtones (from the root of the device's storage).

Edited by SSR

Guest the-jackal
Make sure the custom sounds are in My Documents\My Ringtones (from the root of the device's storage).

Well all my others are in internal storage\My Documents\My Ringtones

Guess I will have to swap the smaller Text message MP3s over then? :D

EDIT: That didn't work. :D

Edited by the-jackal

Aaaah, I have a feeling alert sounds need to be in the Windows folder. I'll just check...

Yep, that definitely works. Perhaps there are other locations where they're picked up as well?

Edited by SSR

Guest the-jackal
Aaaah, I have a feeling alert sounds need to be in the Windows folder. I'll just check...

Yep, that definitely works. Perhaps there are other locations where they're picked up as well?

Ok. So where did you put them. I tried a few folders but still cant get it to show up. :D

Edited by the-jackal

Guest Packmoor Warrior
Ok. So where did you put them. I tried a few folders but still cant get it to show up. :D

Just put it in My Device/Windows, but they have to be in WAV form as I remember

Guest the-jackal
Just put it in My Device/Windows, but they have to be in WAV form as I remember

Well I found the tones I van see in the drop down list in windows\rings but didn't take note of file extensions. I did put a small MP3 in there so maybe that's why it isn't showing up.

Guest Packmoor Warrior

You just put them in the windows folder on your device; they do need to be of WAV format if you want to use the sound for anything other than a ring tone. Ring tones can be of almost any format and just put into My Device/My Documents/My Ringtones folder.

Edited by Packmoor Warrior

Guest the-jackal
You just put them in the windows folder on your device; they do need to be of WAV format if you want to use the sound for anything other than a ring tone. Ring tones can be of almost any format and just put into My Device/My Documents/My Ringtones folder.

OK cheers. I have my ringtones in internal storage\My Documents\My Ringtones and they work fine. If I have to use wav files in the windows folder I think I may just add 1 then. Just means I have to convert to wav format now. :D

Cheers for all ya help guys.

The Jackal

Guest Neil5459

HeHe- thats a new one! Just checked on my Dutty 1.93 ROM, and it is indeed present :D

Guest the-jackal
Curiously it works for an MP3 on mine, in the Windows folder of course. Worth trying first.

Yep. Can confirm that MP3s work. Shame the have to be placed there though. Would be nice to have them all in the same place and run them from the internal memory. :D

Seeing as my phone is an Orange one, will I be able to update my ROM? I need the ability to use the alarm while my phone is on silent. :D

You should be able to update it, but as per another current thread you will potentially void your warranty.

I've asked the question elsewhere, but not got an answer, as to whether you can backup the existing ROM to move back to, if necessary.

Guest captainsensible

Weird.

My sound files are a mixture of wav/mp3 and are in the root of my internal storage and can be selected for anything!

Guest the-jackal
Weird.

My sound files are a mixture of wav/mp3 and are in the root of my internal storage and can be selected for anything!

:D Just tried it on mine and it works.

Cheers fella.

So I am still left with a few gripes.

1) Cant set up group texts (link in previous post doesn't work)

2) You cant forward texts. (just found this out)

Edited by the-jackal

Guest the-jackal

Ok. So group texts are sorted and forwarding texts is sorted but I have 2 more issues.

When in a call how do you keep the screen from going blank? I just phoned Orange and needed to press numbers to activate the menu system but it was blank. I pressed the screen and the back button and it eventually came on but I would like to be able to just look at the phone and see the numbers.

Also (as posted in another thread) I am having sync issues with my 15 favourites.

Guest vii_voo
Ok. So group texts are sorted and forwarding texts is sorted but I have 2 more issues.

When in a call how do you keep the screen from going blank? I just phoned Orange and needed to press numbers to activate the menu system but it was blank. I pressed the screen and the back button and it eventually came on but I would like to be able to just look at the phone and see the numbers.

Also (as posted in another thread) I am having sync issues with my 15 favourites.

Press the power button to see the keyboard. Or slide out the stylus and a notepad will appear, close this and the keyboard will stay on for duration of the call.