Multi-Touch anyone ?

Guest PPCInformer

Guest PPCInformer
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">What is the one thing that iphone users brag about a lot? Multi-Touch, which enables them to perform features like pinch zoom in and out. Well, if this video is anything to go by, we are going to get this feature too, well @ least the HTC Diamond / Touch Pro users will...

Using an internal HTC application called Nav Debug Tool, the video shows that the whole front of the device can track finger movements, and even ** drum roll ** two fingers can be tracked simultaneously. So far there is no know feature on the Touch Diamond/ Pro that exploits this, but once the good folks @ xda-developers get their hands on the API I imagine we won't have to wait too long!

So what feature do you want with Multi-Touch? I am sure Paul should be getting some crazy ideas on how to exploit this feature... :D

Via : xda-developers.com
Video Via : wmpoweruser.com

Guest spacemonkey

OK, I've download the NavDBG tool and played with it... strictly speaking this isn't multitouch, or not multitouch in the way that the apple looks at it. It's single touch but split into 3 areas. Basically imagine the button area at the bottom of the diamond is split into 3 columns.

You have 3 single touch areas:

1) On the left with the home and dial buttons

2) In the middle tracking outside the circle or also detecting a touch (not a button press) inside the circle. If you finger touches both outside and inside the circle, outside the circle takes precedence

3) On the right with the back and hangup buttons.

The multitouch impression comes from the fact that all 3 of these single touch areas can be used simultaneously.

This doesn't in my opinion open up brilliant options in terms of pinch to shrink spread to enlarge ala apple, but it does mean that a device fairly limited in terms of buttons could get a lot of good enhancements to useability.

My biggest annoyance with the device is when you are trying to gesture in TF3D or in an app (eg scrolling in opera) and it decides you've tapped mid gesture and follows a link etc, using the louch sensitive lower areas for gestures would eliminate this problem and make for a much better user experience (in my opinion).

Also, for games, the potential to use the touch sensitive lower area for a range of game controls would be great.

So all good stuff, but not strictly speaking multitouch.

Guest PPCInformer
OK, I've download the NavDBG tool and played with it... strictly speaking this isn't multitouch, or not multitouch in the way that the apple looks at it. It's single touch but split into 3 areas. Basically imagine the button area at the bottom of the diamond is split into 3 columns.

You have 3 single touch areas:

1) On the left with the home and dial buttons

2) In the middle tracking outside the circle or also detecting a touch (not a button press) inside the circle. If you finger touches both outside and inside the circle, outside the circle takes precedence

3) On the right with the back and hangup buttons.

The multitouch impression comes from the fact that all 3 of these single touch areas can be used simultaneously.

This doesn't in my opinion open up brilliant options in terms of pinch to shrink spread to enlarge ala apple, but it does mean that a device fairly limited in terms of buttons could get a lot of good enhancements to useability.

My biggest annoyance with the device is when you are trying to gesture in TF3D or in an app (eg scrolling in opera) and it decides you've tapped mid gesture and follows a link etc, using the louch sensitive lower areas for gestures would eliminate this problem and make for a much better user experience (in my opinion).

Also, for games, the potential to use the touch sensitive lower area for a range of game controls would be great.

So all good stuff, but not strictly speaking multitouch.

oh.. there goes my multi-touch theory... do u mind if i post this info on my blog ?

Guest spacemonkey
oh.. there goes my multi-touch theory... do u mind if i post this info on my blog ?

Go for it, it's easy enough info for anyone to reproduce anyway, only took 10 mins playing around with the tool to see what it can and can't detect.

Guest richair

Still... now that we know that the button panel is touch sensitive as well, this opens up an opportunity to add functionality. I am thinking, for instance, about shortcuts when (double) tapping the hardware keys instead of pressing them. That would be neat...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.