T- Mobile MDA Compact IV - recall?

Guest wertyu

Guest wertyu

Morning,

I spoke to someone at T-mobile Retentions yesterday who told me that the T- Mobile MDA Compact IV has been recalled. It's software faults have been that severe. They expect a new batch in September sometime.

Is this common news?

Guest stevej26uk
Morning,

I spoke to someone at T-mobile Retentions yesterday who told me that the T- Mobile MDA Compact IV has been recalled. It's software faults have been that severe. They expect a new batch in September sometime.

Is this common news?

Hi first of all you've posted in the smartphone section when it really should be in the pocket pc or diamond forum but im sure the mods will move it for you.

I find it highly unlikely since its still showing on the website in fact its the most heavily promoted mda Ive seen on tmob's website.

Chances are the guy didnt know what he was talking about, perhaps he didnt have any or stock or something or was trying to fob you off with an alternative.

I'm running the stock rom on the compact iv and its not great but usable better than a lot of the buggy phones put out in the past.

I suspect we will never see a rom upgrade but perhaps a new batch from september onwards will come with 1.93.

They may of course be recalling them, but the fact its on the website seems to indicate otherwise, wasnt there a similiar rumour going around about orange recalling diamonds.

Guest wertyu
Hi first of all you've posted in the smartphone section when it really should be in the pocket pc or diamond forum but im sure the mods will move it for you.

I find it highly unlikely since its still showing on the website in fact its the most heavily promoted mda Ive seen on tmob's website.

Chances are the guy didnt know what he was talking about, perhaps he didnt have any or stock or something or was trying to fob you off with an alternative.

I'm running the stock rom on the compact iv and its not great but usable better than a lot of the buggy phones put out in the past.

I suspect we will never see a rom upgrade but perhaps a new batch from september onwards will come with 1.93.

They may of course be recalling them, but the fact its on the website seems to indicate otherwise, wasnt there a similiar rumour going around about orange recalling diamonds.

Steve, Thanks for the reply! The guy at T-mobile said that I could have the phone when it came back in - due early september. So i took their word on that. Otherwise i dont see why they wouldn't give it me -if it really was in stock. I just wanted to be sure if anyone else had been told something similar.

Mods,

Sorry about the post being in the wrong forum. Please would you shift it to the correct location?

Guest stevej26uk
Steve, Thanks for the reply! The guy at T-mobile said that I could have the phone when it came back in - due early september. So i took their word on that. Otherwise i dont see why they wouldn't give it me -if it really was in stock. I just wanted to be sure if anyone else had been told something similar.

Mods,

Sorry about the post being in the wrong forum. Please would you shift it to the correct location?

Have to admit it seems strange, the rom version is buggy thats true but all tmobile need to do is put out new firmware.

Maybe it has been recalled and the website hasnt been updated, on the other hand when I first phoned to get my upgrade it took 3 cust service guy until they discovered they even stocked the compact iv.

Maybe worth phoning again and speaking to someone else, are you sure they didnt think vario iv as reports are that tmobile are holding that back because of software issues.

Best of luck let us know how you get on.

Edit: Just phoned making out I was a new customer, and was told that they havent been recalled, but just that they are waiting on a new delivery, due to demand for the phone it may be as late as the 5th september or on the other hand could be tommorow. Strange it still shows in stock on website. Local store also has them.

Edited by stevej26uk

Guest wertyu
Have to admit it seems strange, the rom version is buggy thats true but all tmobile need to do is put out new firmware.

Maybe it has been recalled and the website hasnt been updated, on the other hand when I first phoned to get my upgrade it took 3 cust service guy until they discovered they even stocked the compact iv.

Maybe worth phoning again and speaking to someone else, are you sure they didnt think vario iv as reports are that tmobile are holding that back because of software issues.

Best of luck let us know how you get on.

Edit: Just phoned making out I was a new customer, and was told that they havent been recalled, but just that they are waiting on a new delivery, due to demand for the phone it may be as late as the 5th september or on the other hand could be tommorow. Strange it still shows in stock on website. Local store also has them.

I just spoke to someone on the Direct Sales Team. They actually repeated the same "Software fault" issue/recall story for this handset too. So I guess that they could be telling the truth.

Well I'll just have to wait and see!

Guest andybarker

I ordered my Diamond yesterday to pick up from a store on Saturday. The woman in retentions did say there were 540 people waiting for a home delivery of the Diamond and she had no expected date, which is why I opted to get the phone from the store

Guest wertyu
I ordered my Diamond yesterday to pick up from a store on Saturday. The woman in retentions did say there were 540 people waiting for a home delivery of the Diamond and she had no expected date, which is why I opted to get the phone from the store

Was there any mention of a recall of this handset? The guy I spoke to today said that people who recently purchased it would be getting call backs and emails to return the phones

Guest davegrabiner
Was there any mention of a recall of this handset? The guy I spoke to today said that people who recently purchased it would be getting call backs and emails to return the phones

Sounds like an unusually elaborate excuse for no stock. As someone mentioned, you would think they'd take it off the website before publicising a recall, both to avoid looking stupid and to avoid selling a known faulty device to new customers and causing untold complications.

I hope that, if true, this doesn't have implications for the Vario IV release...

Guest andybarker

No mention at all. Just mentioned the number of people waiting for theirs, and that I could pick one up from a store instead of waiting.

To be honest I think I'd be doing a firmware change anyway (have always done with my two previous WM devices).

Guest stevej26uk

Very very strange, if all thats wrong is software then it can be fixed with a simple software upgrade.

I just spoke to someone in tech support and he says he has heard nothing even went to check with someone else in a different department and they said the same, so it seems very very strange to me.

Guest stevej26uk

ok seems tmobile doesnt know its head from its arse lol

after 4 phone calls to various departments direct sales/ tech support /local store.

I havent once been told about a recall only that the phone is out of stock.

One guy at direct sales said the handset wasnt even availble yet and that the was no way I could have one.

Personnally I feel that they wont recall any handsets far too much hassle, but issue a software update and the new batch of stock may well be delayed beacuse they are applying the update to the next batch.

As an owner of a compact 4 I will keep this thread updated if I recieve a recall.

Of course the other thing they may be doing is re-issuing the handset with the larger battery the same as sprint in the us are doing.

Any guys here working for tmobile that could give us some firm information?

Guest andybarker
I think you will find that the "recall" was for their stock and not for ones already shipped to clients.

I'm confused why they would only recall stock from the central warehouse, and not all the stores as well?

Guest andrewkeith5

i would imagine that considering a new software version has been released by htc, that t-mobile would be recalling all of the stock that they currently have ino rder to preinstall the newer firmware on them , considering that the vario 4 is currently a flagship device

that would then mean that once done t-mobile could start rolling out the update to customers who have already got the device

that would probably also help to explain the rather short wait time until the new stock and the huge number of people waiting (as well as the presence of stock in the stores)

it would be proposterous to recall a flagshpi product for a simple software update - much better to leave it and just deal with the relatively tiny number of people who are likely to not be able to upgrade the handset themselves by upgrading current stock and simply replacing units

Guest wertyu
ok seems tmobile doesnt know its head from its arse lol

after 4 phone calls to various departments direct sales/ tech support /local store.

I havent once been told about a recall only that the phone is out of stock.

One guy at direct sales said the handset wasnt even availble yet and that the was no way I could have one.

Personnally I feel that they wont recall any handsets far too much hassle, but issue a software update and the new batch of stock may well be delayed beacuse they are applying the update to the next batch.

As an owner of a compact 4 I will keep this thread updated if I recieve a recall.

Of course the other thing they may be doing is re-issuing the handset with the larger battery the same as sprint in the us are doing.

Any guys here working for tmobile that could give us some firm information?

cheers Steve, that would be good. Yes any T-mob insiders who could shed some light would also be much appreciated.

I am quite confused as the two people i spoke to (from different departments) had the same story. But then it seems to fit with that there is a big waiting list and a short (allegedly) waiting time

Guest stevej26uk
cheers Steve, that would be good. Yes any T-mob insiders who could shed some light would also be much appreciated.

I am quite confused as the two people i spoke to (from different departments) had the same story. But then it seems to fit with that there is a big waiting list and a short (allegedly) waiting time

The whole situation is very confusing, hopefully someone from tmobile will be lurking the forums and shed some light on the info.

Any other compact iv owners had any communication from tmobile?

Htc have released new firmware for the generic diamond as have vodafone so i reckon this is what the issue is. Like I said though the same handset due for release on the sprint network in the u.s has the larger battery included out of the box, so theres that possibilty as welll.

Its sounding like the new batch will almost certainly have a new firmware hopefully this will be made available for existing owners without the need to change handset, unlesss of course they do add the larger battery.

A similiar situation happened last year with the mda touch which was taken off the market fairly quickly and replaced with the larger 256mb version, so perhaps its the same, although there was no recall I got stuck with the 128mb :D

Hope i dont suffer for being an early adopter again.

Guest stevej26uk
The whole situation is very confusing, hopefully someone from tmobile will be lurking the forums and shed some light on the info.

Any other compact iv owners had any communication from tmobile?

Htc have released new firmware for the generic diamond as have vodafone so i reckon this is what the issue is. Like I said though the same handset due for release on the sprint network in the u.s has the larger battery included out of the box, so theres that possibilty as welll.

Its sounding like the new batch will almost certainly have a new firmware hopefully this will be made available for existing owners without the need to change handset, unlesss of course they do add the larger battery.

A similiar situation happened last year with the mda touch which was taken off the market fairly quickly and replaced with the larger 256mb version, so perhaps its the same, although there was no recall I got stuck with the 128mb :D

Hope i dont suffer for being an early adopter again.

Guest stevej26uk

Just spoke at length to tech support at tmobile.

The situation is that the compact iv like most early versions of the diamond was sold with aa buggy firmware version , tmobile were aware of this and had been waiting for htc to issue them with the new firmware.

Tmobile now have the firmware but are doing final tests on it, all future compact iv's sold will ship with this new software update which is why the warehouse have no stock as any stock would either have been dispatched or sent back to htc to have the rom update applied.

As far as the woman knew there would not be any mass recall of the compact iv, because the update should be made available in a week or so (same time they are saying the compact iv will be back in stock), handsets will be recalled if the customer complains of the software fault and is unable to apply the update themselves for whatever reason.

So to summarise tmobile much like vodafone are going to be providing a rom update and all future compact iv's will have the update installed when shipped.

I will keep this thread updated if I recieve any more communication from tmobile and once the rom is available.

It sounds unlikely a mass recall will happen but if it does again I will post here.

She said it was unlikely any hardware changes would take place so new batches coming with a larger battery is looking unlikely. She seemed to know what she was talking about, explained that an email went round tmobuile this morning regarding the issue and she has spoken to several customers regarding it as well.

wertyu could you keep us updated as well, let us know when you get the compact iv and what the rom version on it is? (and is the battery is just the standard 950mah or indeed a the bigger 1340mah)

I suspect this has contributed to the delay of the vario 4 as tmobile will not want a repeat of this problem and make sure the vario ships with the best possible software version.

Also mods perhap this is worth posting in the news section for modaco readers in general.

Guest andybarker

That makes sense stevej26uk. Nothing worse than half the facts to create conjecture and confusion. At least T-Mobile got their story straight fairly quickly - refreshing change.

Guest tmohammad

Wow... update from TMob so quick......

Never known them to move so fast.

I'll believe it when I see it though!!!!

Edited by tmohammad

Guest wertyu
Just spoke at length to tech support at tmobile.

The situation is that the compact iv like most early versions of the diamond was sold with aa buggy firmware version , tmobile were aware of this and had been waiting for htc to issue them with the new firmware.

Tmobile now have the firmware but are doing final tests on it, all future compact iv's sold will ship with this new software update which is why the warehouse have no stock as any stock would either have been dispatched or sent back to htc to have the rom update applied.

As far as the woman knew there would not be any mass recall of the compact iv, because the update should be made available in a week or so (same time they are saying the compact iv will be back in stock), handsets will be recalled if the customer complains of the software fault and is unable to apply the update themselves for whatever reason.

So to summarise tmobile much like vodafone are going to be providing a rom update and all future compact iv's will have the update installed when shipped.

I will keep this thread updated if I recieve any more communication from tmobile and once the rom is available.

It sounds unlikely a mass recall will happen but if it does again I will post here.

She said it was unlikely any hardware changes would take place so new batches coming with a larger battery is looking unlikely. She seemed to know what she was talking about, explained that an email went round tmobuile this morning regarding the issue and she has spoken to several customers regarding it as well.

wertyu could you keep us updated as well, let us know when you get the compact iv and what the rom version on it is? (and is the battery is just the standard 950mah or indeed a the bigger 1340mah)

I suspect this has contributed to the delay of the vario 4 as tmobile will not want a repeat of this problem and make sure the vario ships with the best possible software version.

Also mods perhap this is worth posting in the news section for modaco readers in general.

Yeah no probs...T-mobile are due to give me a call as soon as the Compact IV comes back in stock - so i will get one in the not too distant future hopefully!

As soon as I do i will let you know the spec.

Thanks again Steve and everyone for your comments

Guest andrewkeith5

well, at least it explains how my friendly local t-mobile store supervisor is correct in saying the vario 4 has been delayed till at least january

woo :D 2 months closer to the end of my contact :D

Edited by andrewkeith5

Guest Fleabag

There is no recall. There is no faulty firmware. There is no new firmware coming. They are simply waiting for more stock.

And on the note of the MDA Touch, it wasn't discontinued when the 256MB version was released, the two lines of stock were sold alongside each other for some time.

Frontline agents simply don't get access to the kind of information you are trying to obtain. Windows Mobile and the Compact IV account for a tiny percentage of total handset sales, and thus account for a tiny amount of the staff's knowledge. It seems likely from your posts you are calling several times a day - if you keep badgering people who don't have the answers you want, you're simply going to get spun a line - I imagine they're pretty tired of hearing from you. :D

I'm sorry to disappoint you but there isn't a conspiracy. They're just waiting for stock from HTC.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest andybarker

Just called the store I was meant to be picking up my phone from to check what time they close. Thought i'd double check they have the phone. Nope!

Seems when I spoke to retentions, they simply checked which stores were near me and didn't reserve one - they have no way to check stock in the stores. Grrrrr.

When they said "You can pick it up at the store on Saturday", I presumed they meant it was reserved for me.

Rang retentions again, and they rang a few local stores and no one local has any left. So guess i'm not going to get mine this weekend after all.

Guest stevej26uk
There is no recall. There is no faulty firmware. There is no new firmware coming. They are simply waiting for more stock.

And on the note of the MDA Touch, it wasn't discontinued when the 256MB version was released, the two lines of stock were sold alongside each other for some time.

Frontline agents simply don't get access to the kind of information you are trying to obtain. Windows Mobile and the Compact IV account for a tiny percentage of total handset sales, and thus account for a tiny amount of the staff's knowledge. It seems likely from your posts you are calling several times a day - if you keep badgering people who don't have the answers you want, you're simply going to get spun a line - I imagine they're pretty tired of hearing from you. :D

I'm sorry to disappoint you but there isn't a conspiracy. They're just waiting for stock from HTC.

I assume you work for tmobile to have access this kind of information, but something doesnt ring true.

I didnt badger anyone I spke to tech support a couple of times, direct sales once from a landline and the local store, only tech support would have known it was the same person calling.

also other posters have recieved the same reply from various departments.

sales dept confirmed there was a batch sent back so if no fault why send the batch back?

Direct sales seemed to know less and hence the differing stories but the on confirmed thing was that the stock in the warehouse had to be sent back, as to why depends on what agent you speak too.

Tech support were a lot more helpful and would have access to this kind of information, they seemed fairly adamant about the issue, she mentioned rom updates,htc etc I never said anything so she was aware of a situation if the customer services are as dumb as you make out how did she have access to this kind of  information.

The software is faulty its based on the 1.37 HTC rom which htc themselves have admitted to being crap, perhaps tmobile wont issue an update but htc and vodafone have so why shouldnt tmobile?

You have to remember the comoact iv is more than the usual windows mobile, its being heavily promoted by tmobile both online and instore, its one of the best selling devices on the network at the moment.

So perhaps I was spun a line but in that case so have lots of other people. Perhaps they wont issue an update if they dont then the handset is a waste of time without flashing a cooked rom.

I think the best approach is to wait and see, if more stock arrives next week and wertyu gets one and it has a new rom we will at least know that a new rom kicks about even if tmob dont distribute it.

If you do work for tmob perhaps finding some concrete proof for us might help

But its lies to say the software isnt faulty its a poor rom that makes an excellent device run slow and buggy.