V2M(18 ) -6 dB

TX(08 )

AC97

Address 00

Value 0000

Mask FFFF

Guest dwallersv

Platform: i910, Verizon, leaked CC20 rom

After some detailed experimentation/investigation, I've figured out some of the answers to the quirks everyone is seeing on the 910 with SoundTester, and these settings.

1. On a "virgin" 910 (SoundTester has not ever been run), the HKLM\SAMSUNG registry branch does not exist. This branch, with the AUDIO key and subkeys under it for the various sound profiles is created when, in SoundTester, you execute Menu->Apply from a sound profile menu to apply the settings shown for that profile.
  2. When entering a profile configuration page, the values shown are not the currently set values. They are also not the default "virgin" values. They are, rather, all maximum values from the drop-down lists in the program, except for RVOL, which is a minimum.
  3. When you first enter a settings screen for a profile, if you hit Menu->Cancel it will be repopulated with the default values, same as the ones discussed earlier for the 900.
  4. The modified values you set from SoundTester, written to the registry under HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO\profile (where profile is HANDSET, HEADSET, CAMCODER, etc.) do not get changed (reset) from your set values when you quit SoundTester. They are saved in the registry.
  5. SoundTester does not seem to ever read the values in the registry correctly, and display them in the application. So, if you make changes and apply, then leave that profile's settings (as liitle as simply hitting Back) and then re-enter that same profile's settings page, your changes will appear not to have "stuck". They have, however. It's just that SoundTester has lost knowlege of them, so reverts back to the behavior described in 2 and 3 above.
So, here are the modified, much easier instructions for adjusting these settings:
  1. First, forget the registry. You don't need to mess with it AT ALL. Nice, 'cause the values in the registry don't have any obvious relationship to the dB values shown in SoundTester.
  2. Start SoundTester, go to the profile of interest (e.g. Menu->Normal->Headset), and before anything else, preload the settings with the current settings; either the modified values you've set previously and recorded, or hit Menu->Cancel to populate the default values.
  3. Follow whatever procedure works for you to figure out the best settings in SoundTester for the profile of interest. I haven't experimented with this aspect yet, so I don't know if these settings have an immediate effect while audio is playing, are effective if an audio app is quit and restarted, or if a full reboot is required to hear the effect. That's my next set of experiments. In any case, keep track of the SoundTester values, not the registry values.
  4. Make whatever changes to the profile settings desired. Hit Menu->Apply. Quit SoundTester. You're done!
  5. Keep a record of your SoundTester dB values for each profile you've modified. If you want to make adjustments in the future, enter these recorded values in the appropriate SoundTester profile first, then modify the value(s) you want to change, apply, then exit. These new values will "stick".
Edited by dwallersv

Guest dwallersv
Thank you amarsidhu but is different in the i910

Original settings I910 ONLY!!!!!!!!!

Normal / Handset

DAC(0C) 12 dB

SPK(02) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Normal / Headset

DAC(0C) 12dB

HP(04) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +20 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Normal / Camcorder

DAC(0C) 12dB

HP(04) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Talking / Handset

RVC(02) 0 dB

RX(16) -9 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0 dB

TX(08 ) 0 dB

Talking / Earjack

HP(04) 0 dB

RX(16) -15 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

MVOL(0E)

MHVOL(10) 6 dB

TX(08 ) 0 dB

Talking / Speakerphone

SPK(02) 0 dB

RX(16) -9 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0 dB

TX(08 ) 0 dB

Talking / BTMono

ADCV(12) 28.5 dB

RX(16) -9 dB

V2M(18 ) -6 dB

TX(08 )

AC97

Address 00

Value 0000

Mask FFFF

These are not the original/default settings in the 910!! If you use any of these (or leave them be while making changes to a subset), you will mess up your sound.

See my posting just before this one for detailed explanation, and revised instructions for setting these parameters.

Edited by dwallersv

Guest the v
These are not the original/default settings in the 910!! If you use any of these (or leave them be while making changes to a subset), you will mess up your sound.

See my posting just before this one for detailed explanation, and revised instructions for setting these parameters.

thank you again for the help but those are my original BY DEFAULT Settings BRAND NEW PHONE FROM VERIZON :D

Normal / Handset

DAC(0C) 12 dB

SPK(02) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Edited by the v

Guest dwallersv
thank you again for the help but those are my original BY DEFAULT Settings BRAND NEW PHONE FROM VERIZON :D

Normal / Handset

DAC(0C) 12 dB

SPK(02) 0 dB

MPBST(22) +30 dB

RBST(14) +20 dB

RVOL(12) -17.25 dB

Did you read my more detailed post above the one you quoted?

I'm not convinced those are your original settings. How did you read them?

You can't read current settings via the SoundTester application (explained above). There are no settings stored in the registry until you change a profile.

So where did you get those settings from? If you got them from SoundTester, they're bogus. Again, read my detailed post above.

Anyone had problems with this, I have flashed my Omnia I900 a few times and am very happy with it. Using a Khanchai 6.5 ROm with BT Voice etc. I was hoping to boost the headset volume either of BT or wired as I use the phone for running. I have tried all of the various figures but when I use menu apply it doesn't lock the new values. Next time I access they are the same. Settings are

Menu > Normal > Handset

DAC(0C) 12

SPK(02) 0

MPBST(22) +30

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) -17.25

Menu > Normal > Headset

DAC(0C) 12

HP(04) 0

MPBST(22) 30

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) -17.5

Menu > Normal > Camcoder

DAC(0C) 12

SPK(02) 0

MPBST(22) +30

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) -17.25

Menu > Talking > Handset

RCV(02) 0

RX(16) -12.5

MPBST(22) +30

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0

TX(08) 0

Menu > Talking > Earjack

HP(04) 0

RX(16) -15

MPBST(22) +30

MVOL(0E) 0

M2BST(10) 0

MHVOL(10) 6

TX(08) 0

Menu > Talking > Speakerphone

SPK(02) 0

RX(16)-12

MPBST(22) +30

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0

TX(08) 0

Menu > Talking > BTMono

ADCV(12) +21

RX(16) -12

V2M(18) 6

TX(06)

AC97

Address 00

Value 0000

Mark FFFF

Any ideas on how to fix. I will try setting bto original values and "APPLY" again

A second issue is the BT stereo, works great for Voice dial etc but I get pinging noises in the headset, I seem to remember similar with my Axim before there was a BT Stack fix.

Again heres hoping the various Omnia guru's can assist.

Guest Brefar
So, here are the modified, much easier instructions for adjusting these settings:
  1. First, forget the registry. You don't need to mess with it AT ALL. Nice, 'cause the values in the registry don't have any obvious relationship to the dB values shown in SoundTester.
  2. Start SoundTester, go to the profile of interest (e.g. Menu->Normal->Headset), and before anything else, preload the settings with the current settings; either the modified values you've set previously and recorded, or hit Menu->Cancel to populate the default values.
  3. Follow whatever procedure works for you to figure out the best settings in SoundTester for the profile of interest. I haven't experimented with this aspect yet, so I don't know if these settings have an immediate effect while audio is playing, are effective if an audio app is quit and restarted, or if a full reboot is required to hear the effect. That's my next set of experiments. In any case, keep track of the SoundTester values, not the registry values.
  4. Make whatever changes to the profile settings desired. Hit Menu->Apply. Quit SoundTester. You're done!
  5. Keep a record of your SoundTester dB values for each profile you've modified. If you want to make adjustments in the future, enter these recorded values in the appropriate SoundTester profile first, then modify the value(s) you want to change, apply, then exit. These new values will "stick".

Thanks for the information. Before I do too much though, can you help me understand what each of those settings represents, and how they affect the different speakers on my phone? I want to be able to hear the visual voice mail better, and hear people talking when I'm on a call. But I have no clue as to what several of those settings are for.

Thanks again.

Guest dwallersv
Thanks for the information. Before I do too much though, can you help me understand what each of those settings represents, and how they affect the different speakers on my phone? I want to be able to hear the visual voice mail better, and hear people talking when I'm on a call. But I have no clue as to what several of those settings are for.

Thanks again.

I've experimented with most of them. Some don't seem to have any effect. The one's I know about are these:

Profiles

There are two classes of profiles: Normal, and Talking. Normal profiles are active when not in a phone call. Talking profiles are active when in a call.

The only two Normal profiles you need to adjust are the Handset and Headset profiles. Adjust these to taste for speaker sound and wired headphone sound. Then, just copy your settings for the Headset profile to the Camcoder [sic] profile.

Unless you want something different in terms of loudness and mic sensitivity between Normal and Talking modes, you can simply copy some values across these two classes as well. Samsung makes all of this confusing by having different names for the same parameters in different profiles, and to confuse further, even uses different names for the "same" profile in the respective classes, and then if that hasn't thrown you off they implement the coup de gras: Using the same profile name for different actual profiles!

So, here's it is, untangled. Below are equivalent profiles between classes:

Normal/Handset, Talking/Speakerphone -- Internal speaker, internal mic

Normal/Headset, Talking/Headset -- Wired headphones, wired mic

Normal/Camcoder, Talking/(none) -- Internal speaker, internal mic; custom settings for video record/playback in camera.exe

Normal/(none), Talking/Handset -- Internal earpiece speaker (above display), internal mic

Normal/(none), Talking/BTMono -- Bluetooth device

So, unless you want different sound and mic levels between normal usage and phone calls, you can just copy whatever settings you arrive during your tuning process. Make sure that you follow the HEX IDs for parameters in copying values over -- the names of these identical parameters varies from profile to profile (thanks Samsung).

Output stage (analog?) amplification.

Adjusting these will change the overall volume of the target output device. Adjust these as "max volume" characteristic with the Windows Mobile volume turned all the way up.

ID 02: SPeaKer (SPK), ReCieVe (RCV): This is the relative volume of the external speaker.

ID 04: HeadPhones (HP): Relative volume of wired headphones

Digital to Analog conversion scaling.

This adjusts the the equivalent of amplification in the digital domain, before the analog amplifier.

ID 0C: Digital to Analog Converter (DAC)

Adjusting this will also make sounds louder. Getting optimal setup for this setting and the above output stage settings is a bit tricky. The key is setting this value to maximize volume for a loud source without clipping. Pick a media source that is about the loudest thing you've got on your Omnia (usually a loud piece of music) for making adjustments. Note that this is not "loud" in the sense that it's simply a conceptually loud source; it needs to be a source that was mastered with high sound levels. This is that issue where some mp3's overall sound too quiet, even though they're rockin' big time, while other similar music sounds much louder simply because the overall sound levels when recording/mastering were set higher. You need to pick the latter sort of music for testing.

To set DAC, play a max-loud source. Adjust the setting to the loudest level you can without audible distortion (clipping). Then, set it one setting level quieter to give a little bit of headroom in case something louder comes along. Note that you don't have to have the system/WM volume turned up all the way, blasting your ears. You can turn it way down, and oversetting DAC will still result in obvious audible distortion in a source with high average sound energy. So, set the system volume to a comfortable level loud enough to still hear even slight distortion (in the audio world known as THD, in this case caused by peak clipping), but not so loud you can't handle it.

Next, choose a source that was mastered on the quiet side, but still has relatively "loud" segments (another piece of rock and roll will do), turn the WM volume up all the way, and adjust SPK and HP in the various profiles to the level that is the max volume you'd like.

After this, you will be able to get satisfactory volume with everything. Most of the time, you won't even be turning the system volume all the way up to be listening quite loud.

Microphone sensitivity

ID 22: MicroPhoneBooST (MPBST)

This sets the level of boost for the microphone in various profiles.

How to adjust: Run \Windows\VoiceRecorder.exe (this is a hidden file -- you will need to unhide it with your File Explorer of choice) a long with SoundTester.exe.

Switch to VoiceRecorder. Record a segment of yourself talking, then play it back and check. Switch to SoundTester, adjust the MPBST value for the profile you are testing, go back to VoiceRecorder and repeat. Continue until you have the settings that produce the sensitivity you want.

Other Settings

Don't bother with the other settings. I experimented extensively with most of them, and couldn't detect any significant impact on volume or mic sensitivity. Some other parameters do interact with the above parms and effect volume and mic sensitivity, but not in any way that I found to be useful beyond adjusting the parameters above.

They all do something, of course. Just not necessarily directly related to loudness or sensitivity. Any changes observed with these other parameters to those characteristics is tangential, not direct.

In particular, RVOL and RBST seem to affect the tonal character of the sound, not the volume. If you want, play with these in VoiceRecorder, set to the extremes, and test the effect. You'll see what I mean.

General Notes

As noted in my posting above regarding revised SoundTester operation, no settings you put in place can be read from the registry and recovered. Also, every time you enter a profile in SoundTester, the values displayed are extremes. It is critical that you record your settings values for every profile you change, and make sure you've set them all in that profile before hitting Apply. Since I'm usually only changing 2 or 3 of the settings, my method is to always select Cancel first, to set the values to defaults, then set any modified values to what I had them set to, then change the one value I'm interested in and Apply.

This is less of a pain than it might seem, because you can stay on a profile's menu while making adjustments and switching back and forth to another application to play sound and test it without losing your custom changes.

Finally, be aware that any chages you make only take effect when the audio driver is initialized. This happens every time the device port is opened, which is somewhat up to the playback app you're using. In most cases this is pretty much guaranteed to occur when you start playing a song, and gets closed when you stop. Some players will close and re-open the port on pause/play. In any case, the best thing to do is experiment a little first with the player you're using and test making extreme changes to SPK/HP while going back to your player and testing which process (pause/play, stop/play, app quite/restart) is necessary for you to hear the changes.

Edited by dwallersv

Guest HellboyMC
Anyone had problems with this, I have flashed my Omnia I900 a few times and am very happy with it. Using a Khanchai 6.5 ROm with BT Voice etc. I was hoping to boost the headset volume either of BT or wired as I use the phone for running. I have tried all of the various figures but when I use menu apply it doesn't lock the new values. Next time I access they are the same. Settings are

Menu > Normal > Handset

DAC(0C) 12

SPK(02) 0

MPBST(22) +30

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) -17.25

Menu > Normal > Headset

DAC(0C) 12

HP(04) 0

MPBST(22) 30

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) -17.5

Menu > Normal > Camcoder

DAC(0C) 12

SPK(02) 0

MPBST(22) +30

RBST(14) +0

RVOL(12) -17.25

Menu > Talking > Handset

RCV(02) 0

RX(16) -12.5

MPBST(22) +30

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0

TX(08) 0

Menu > Talking > Earjack

HP(04) 0

RX(16) -15

MPBST(22) +30

MVOL(0E) 0

M2BST(10) 0

MHVOL(10) 6

TX(08) 0

Menu > Talking > Speakerphone

SPK(02) 0

RX(16)-12

MPBST(22) +30

MVOL(0E)

M2BST(10) +0

TX(08) 0

Menu > Talking > BTMono

ADCV(12) +21

RX(16) -12

V2M(18) 6

TX(06)

AC97

Address 00

Value 0000

Mark FFFF

Any ideas on how to fix. I will try setting bto original values and "APPLY" again

A second issue is the BT stereo, works great for Voice dial etc but I get pinging noises in the headset, I seem to remember similar with my Axim before there was a BT Stack fix.

Im interested in this also, no idea how to boost my sound, a friend of mine that doesn't update omnia with custom ROMs has stronger sound than myself with a custom ROM WM 6,5 from Khuanchai.

Guest dwallersv

See posts #203 and #209.

To restore any Omnia i9x0 to it's original, factory default audio settings, delete the key HKLM\SAMSUNG\AUDIO from the registry. This will delete ALL changes made to the audio ouput parameters for all profiles.

Edited by dwallersv

Guest itb44
I've seen a lot of people asking how they can boost their volume of their headsets or when watching a movie through the loud speaker (its very low). Even ringtones are effected by this. So I thought I better finally register and post my findings for other I900 owners.

Its quite simple and does not require a hard rest.

In the phone keypad type: *#0002*28346#

You will then have a screen pop up called audio control util.

. . .

Many thanks Paul for H1 firmware, btw if this is handy for users could it be stickyed?? ;)

Here is the link to the thread for the VERIZON OMNIA increase volume hack:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...-verizon-omnia/

Thanks.

Thanks. Since this i900 thread is stickied in the i9x0 section (rather than i900), but the above post with link to the Verizon i910 is way in at page 7, it might be very helpful to add this link to the first post (or at least the first page, if possible).

Guest anyanyany

hello!

i've read through this whole thread... i don't understand how u guys already know what all these different codes mean.. if anyone could explain each code and what they do? i want to be able to increase my ringtone, speakerphone WITHOUT making my actual WM/handset in sounds so loud e.g. error sounds and the default beeps here and there.

thanks!!!!!!

Guest Unksol

Hi guys i have tried dialing *#0002*28346# on the phone pad but it does not go through to a menu it just says failed and thats it, any idea what i maight be doing wrong ?

Edited by Unksol

Guest Unksol

Hi guys i have tried dialing *#0002*28346# on the phone pad but it does not go through to a menu it just says failed and thats it, any idea what i maight be doing wrong ?

Guest Unksol

Guest MAYORLIM

Many thanks to all the guys here who have contributed so much to this topic...

After i have tweak my Omnia i900, my phone's audio is now louder and clearer!

Keep up the good works guys...I love my Omnia i900 ;)

Guest dwallersv

Guys -- forget the dial codes. The instructions I posted several posts back for the i910 should work the same on the i900. All you need is to access the SoundTester applcation in \Windows -- you don't need the dial code (which simply runs SoundTester anyway).

Guest Ray BZ
Many thanks to all the guys here who have contributed so much to this topic...

After i have tweak my Omnia i900, my phone's audio is now louder and clearer!

Keep up the good works guys...I love my Omnia i900 ;)

Please tell us your settings & if u had problems with them?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest can1971

anyone knows why i can´t change the values in TALKING/SPEAKERPHONE ???

i have changed different values in NORMAL/HANDSET and TALKING/HANDSET without problems,

but the TX and RX values of SPEAKERPHONE will reset anytime i enter the settings

it doesn´t matter if i press APPLY or not !!!

please help me, i can´t use the speakerphone in my car, because they are so low that i hear almost nothing !!!! :)

Guest shy30h

Well done!!!

I tried with soundtester increasing my omnia speakerphone volume and apply but

it didn't saved my settings

Please help me

Guest dopeness

there are several ways that I am reading here to turn up the volume. some are very complex (like the last two pages) and some are simple. However, there does not see to be a consensus. i have tried the sound tester way and it did not work. if any one can tell me a "quick" and "proven" tip to turn up my bluetooth headset I would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

Guest dwallersv
there are several ways that I am reading here to turn up the volume. some are very complex (like the last two pages) and some are simple. However, there does not see to be a consensus. i have tried the sound tester way and it did not work. if any one can tell me a "quick" and "proven" tip to turn up my bluetooth headset I would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

The only way I know to make BT louder is to install SRS/WOW. The CAB and instructions are in a pinned thread.