Do I like it or not? I dunno!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rameses
So my Touch Pro arrived today.

Boy oh boy it's fast, but, I just can't get over the bulk... it feels huge (and wrong) in the hand!

Discuss :D

P

Is it huge compared to the Diamond or just huge?

If you don't like it I know someone who'll take it off your hands (i.e. me! ) :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

hehehe...

Huge compared to the Diamond and Omnia I suppose, just in depth.

It's only about the same thickness as the Kaiser, but due to it's smaller dimensions otherwise, it feels, well, odd!

P

Is it, or does it feel, heavy? I've held a Diamond and really like the size/feel but, obviously cannot try a Pro yet.

I really want a Touch Pro, but yesterday I really wanted a Diamond, and the day before I really wanted a Pro etc etc etc!

So I have come up with a cunning plan. I have a Compact 3 and my Tmobile contract is up in a couple of months, so I am going into the tmobile shop tomorrow and see what my upgrade to the Diamond will cost me, laying it on thick how poor the 3G is around here compared to O2. If it is cheap enough I will get it and use it for a few of months, if its good I'll keep it, if not I'll flog it and by then the Pro will have come down in price so I'll buy one of them.

BUt I might REALLY want a Pro tomorrow :D

Guest inspectorgadjet

I've had mine about a week....love it...love it....love it...it feels light to me compared to the Kaiser, and is only fractionally bigger than my SE K850i. Functionality is very good too....can't really complain about anything other than not being able to play my guitar hero mobile on it.

Guest Incarniac
Boy oh boy it's fast, but, I just can't get over the bulk... it feels huge (and wrong) in the hand!

I've had my TP for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it. Coming from a TyTN (SPV M3100) I was used to (and didn't mind) the size of that, and the TP is just that little bit smaller on all accounts that it just feels right in my hand. The TP feels a little bit heavier than the TyTN, but in a good way. Yes, I know, we're still early on in this relationship, my phone and me, but so far so good. :D

I would probably like the slimness of the Diamond or Omnia even more, but the keyboard of the TyTN was good so I did not want to lose that - besides, the keyboard of the TP is ace and well worth a little extra bulk (in my opinion, obviously).

Guest alexbard
I've had my TP for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it. Coming from a TyTN (SPV M3100) I was used to (and didn't mind) the size of that, and the TP is just that little bit smaller on all accounts that it just feels right in my hand. The TP feels a little bit heavier than the TyTN, but in a good way. Yes, I know, we're still early on in this relationship, my phone and me, but so far so good. :D

I would probably like the slimness of the Diamond or Omnia even more, but the keyboard of the TyTN was good so I did not want to lose that - besides, the keyboard of the TP is ace and well worth a little extra bulk (in my opinion, obviously).

What I find AWFUL is the audio volume through the earpiece... perfect with earphones, but very low during common use.

I hope for some tweaks to raise it up...

Guest rameses

I just wish I'd been more patient when the Diamond came out and waited for a Raphael. Ho hum.

It's not that I don't like the diamond, but I do miss the keyboard. :D

Guest Incarniac
What I find AWFUL is the audio volume through the earpiece... perfect with earphones, but very low during common use.

I hope for some tweaks to raise it up...

You did remove the plastic cover (it looks a bit like a screen protector) that was attached on the front when in the box, right?

You probably have, but a friend of mine didn't, and complained about low volume until he removed that and attached the proper screen protector that came with the phone. Unlike the solid bit that was on it in the box, the screen protector does not cover the entire front, "only" the screen, and has holes in it for the ear piece and camera.

He still says his P990 had better volume, but (again) for me the TP is better than the TyTN in this regard. Still, that being said, in very noisy places it's hard to hear what the other person is saying.

Guest steveoidm

Strange.... It feels SO much smaller than the kaiser though! I love it :D

Do you notice the improvement in the screen resultion much? outside of the keyboard and extra ram i thought this would be one of the reasons to go for the TouchPro over the Diamond...

but no one is commenting on it much... should i assume it makes no real difference then?

Guest dudegalea

I'm surprised to read comments about this phone being 'bulky'. To me it's the exact reverse. It seems much less bulky than the TyTN II.

In fact, when I compare it side-by-side to a K800i, there is surprisingly little difference in size!

I ditched Touch Flo in the end. It seems to be a little bit unstable at times; not very often, but often enough. I switched back to the Spb apps (MobileShell and Phone Suite), and the stability problems disappeared. The Spb apps are also more flexible.

I am tempted to get the big battery when it becomes available! Though I expect no-one will be able to deny that it is bulky then. :D

Size has been a crtical issue for me when picking a new phone. My last Windows phone was the C500 which was a great size for functionality at the time. I went from the C500 to a Nokia N95 then to the Touch Pro.

When picking my new phone, pockability was a key factor. It is one of the main reasons I was not tempted by an iPhone and why I have not gone for the Omnia. For me, the shape of them is all wrong to fit into a trouser pocket. They are too wide and long. Sure the Touch Pro is quite thick, but thikness is still the smallest dimension. Having said that, if the diamond had a MicroSD slot, I would have been very tempted due to the thinness.

BTW, my Touch Pro is almost exactly the same size as my N95, however, the one thing I have noticed is that it is much heavier. I think I know what Paul means about not quite feeling right in the hand, but I do not really agree. I think that is more down to weight rather than size.

I am supprised at Paul's comments on speed. I am finding it a bit sluggish at times having just come from a Nokia (not that it has not had software and performance issues). I am about to head off to the xda developers site to try a few of their tweeks to see if that helps things.

Guest EN4CER69

Hi TP owners.. I have just ordered mine as an exchage for the Omnia.

I have been using the Plam Treo 750 for the past 18 months and love it.. How the the dimensions compare to the Treo 750?????

I am used to having a slab in my hand :D

Guest Incarniac
I have been using the Plam Treo 750 for the past 18 months and love it.. How the the dimensions compare to the Treo 750?????

I've never used the Treo 750, but going by the specs:

HTC Touch Pro Specs (htc.com): 165g with battery, 102 mm (H) x 51 mm (W) x 18.05 mm (D)

Palm Treo 750 Specs (palm.com): 154g (presumably with battery), 111mm (H) x 58mm (W) x 22mm (D)

The TP should be smaller in all dimensions (9mm H, 7mm W, 3.95mm D), but 9g heavier.

Edited by Incarniac

How does it compare to the Vox?

I have the Diamond, and miss the keyboard.. I am not sure if i should bite the bullet and get the pro or wait for the New Sony one. I love my diamond and like the size, i just read the review in PDA essentials and it gets a fantastic writeup.

i am now even more confused.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dskeeles

I just got a Touch Pro, after the Kaiser and Hermes before it. I hated it for the first day - but am liking it more and more now.

Plus points

- Gorgeous screen

- Just about breast-pocket size

- Touch-keyboard/pad actually works, almost as responsively as the iPhone

- Landscape-Portrait transition similarly swift

- UI and general aesthetics ARE nice... I'm more a function-over-form kind of guy, but this is quite a nice device

Down points

- Jogwheel is sorely missed - drag-scrolling on the screen is a sure recipe for thumb RSI

- Only one programmable hardware button!?!

- Only one OK button

- D-pad is a pain to use - Left-Right tricky to press without mispressing Select/Dial/Hangup instead

- Basic functions, like camera, can take a lot of laborious navigating to get to

- SMS key on keyboard takes you far away from your email if you accidentally hit it

- Some TouchFlo panes are useless: Email/SMS panes are flash but impractical, for example

Of course, maybe I should have waited for the SEX1... I guess I'll hold out for more reviews...

D

Guest Mechanicaldan

I went down to the local Vodafone store and finally had a hands on with the Touch Pro. I was concerned about the size, and I insist on pocketability. What surprised me is that it's almost the same size as my Vox, which I love. The only difference in size seemed to be that the corners on the Vox are more rounded, but overall, when I compared them side by side, they are almost exactly the same.

So, this decision seems to be getting easier all the time. The Touch Pro is pocketable and roughly the same size as my Vox, but has a much bigger screen and all the major improvements in hardware and the power of WM Professional. All I'm losing is the dedicated keyboard, which I'm sure I'll get used to the touchscreen pretty quickly. I've had a smartphone style phone since 2003. Will I finally make the PPC jump before Christmas? Probably.

I am a little concerned about the speaker volume issue I read about some people having. I can be a bit deaf in all but quiet surroundings. The Vox has always been plenty loud for me.

Anyone want to add some comments regarding TP volume and how you think it compares?

• 2 weeks later...