The official Glofiish X610 / V900 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
newetens.png
If you survey the picture to the right, you'll spot two of Glofiish's finest, together with the two devices they effectively replace. Two devices at complete opposite ends of the spectrum!

First we have the Glofiish X610, successor to the X600. This is very much an entry level device. Effectively a sexed-up re-cased X600 with a software bump to Windows Mobile 6.1 aimed primarily at emerging markets, the X610 features...
  • Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
  • Samsung SC3 2442 400 MHz Processor
  • Quad band GPRS / EDGE
  • 128MB ROM, 64MB RAM
  • 2.8" QVGA screen (flush)
  • 2 Megapixel fixed focus camera
  • Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR
  • WiFi 802.11b/g
  • SiRF III GPS with TMC support
  • FM Radio
  • microSD expansion
  • 1530mAh battery
  • 107 x 58 x 14.7 mm
  • 134g

Secondly we have the V900, which is more in the mould of the X800. This is NOT an entry level device. When it comes to 'feature bingo', I suspect the V900 has just about every other device licked! Specs (deep breath!) are as follows:
    • Windows MobileĀ® 6.1 Professional
    • New generation Samsung S3C 6400 533 MHz Processor
    • Tri band HSDPA / Quad Band GPRS/EDGE
    • 256MB ROM, 128MB RAM
    • 2.8" VGA screen (flush)
    • 3MP auto-focus camera with additional front facing VGA camera for video calling
    • VGA video recording
    • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    • WiFi 802.11b/g
    • SiRF III GPS with TMC support
    • FM Radio
    • FM Transmitter
    • TV tuner with DVB-T support for receiving FreeView in the UK
    • Composite TV out support with cable included
    • MicroSD expansion
    • 1530mAh battery
    • 106 (L) x 60.5 (W) x 17(18.15) (H) mm
    • 147g
    • Sounds hot no?

The devices have literally just arrived so I can't really make much of a judgement yet, but feel free to fire your questions at me, and i'll do my best to answer them! :D

P

Guest FloatingFatMan

Interesting that you've gotten hold of these two when they're not even on the market yet... :D

The V900 is a lovely device, but it's got some problems with its software as yet. What ROM version does your device have, out of interest?

Guest awarner (MVP)

Can you say in the original post what device is what?

Looking at the images on the boxes I can just make it out. I presume the other devices are the preivous models?

Guest FloatingFatMan
050/0260a I believe...

P

It shipped with that ROM? That was only released on the 29th!

Question. The joystick, If you rotate it, does it stick a little in the 4 corners every once in a while?

BTW guys, seeing as Paul has only had his V900 for a day, feel free to ask me any questions you might have about it. I've had my review unit for about a month, so I know it pretty well by now. :D

Edited by FloatingFatMan

- VGA recording is meant to be DVD quality. Is it fairly smooth in recording and is the quality good?

- Does everything seem to be compatible- all the hardware I mean?

Guest Menneisyys
Rumors says that the joystick is being modified, so I think the device you have is still a beta Paul.

Here is the first review of the V900 for those who are interested:

http://www.winmobile.se/news.php?extend.402

Thanks! Too bad no word on the battery life... also, I'd really like to know whether it also has hardware H.264 decoding, mostly for HD broadcasts. (Not that you would be able to see the difference on such a small-res screen. It's just that a given channel may only exist as HD in a given place, and not as SD.)

Thanks! Too bad no word on the battery life... also, I'd really like to know whether it also has hardware H.264 decoding, mostly for HD broadcasts. (Not that you would be able to see the difference on such a small-res screen. It's just that a given channel may only exist as HD in a given place, and not as SD.)

Regarding the battery life, I heard that the latest ROM (the one that Paul has) has improved the battery life substantially!

I would say that its satisfying when using the Mobile TV player, the DVB scanning doesnt take that much battery life from the unit.

This unit does not hold DUAL sim, that would be the coming DX900.

Guest FloatingFatMan
- VGA recording is meant to be DVD quality. Is it fairly smooth in recording and is the quality good?

Sorry, afraid not. No record function in the TV application as yet (and likely won't be), and the camcorder function currently only records to 3gp format, so 10-15 frames a second. The hardware IS capable of more, and can playback a 640x480 DiVX file in Coreplayer perfectly, but for the moment, no DVD quality recording. It's been raised with E-Ten though.

- Does everything seem to be compatible- all the hardware I mean?

Only found one bit of incompatibility with my Jabra BT2040 headset so far. Everything else works great.

Guest FloatingFatMan

The battery life is pretty good, taking about 10% in about 40 minutes viewing in the TV appliation.

The CPU is apparently capable of H.264 decoding, but I've yet to actually find a HD transmission for it to receive; despite a fair bit of driving around. Afraid I can't tell if it's able to actually decode such a signal because of this.

Guest Menneisyys
Sorry, afraid not. No record function in the TV application as yet (and likely won't be)

How come? Even the lowest-end PCMCIA cards / USB sticks are able to do this (right nto MPEG2) and they don't need much CPU cover as they just save the transport stream (read: no MPEG encoding needed). And, of course, the Nokia N96 is also able to record all broadcasts (even if they're "only" DVB-H, meaning lower (quarter) resolution.)

and the camcorder function currently only records to 3gp format, so 10-15 frames a second

This sucks too. Just take an example of the 1.5-year-old Nokia N95... I just don't understand why WinMo device manufacurers don't try to implement so good multimedia functionality as is available in the Nokias...

Guest Menneisyys
The battery life is pretty good, taking about 10% in about 40 minutes viewing in the TV appliation.

WOWZ! Impressive!!! (Just a comparison: according to some sources, the Nokia N96 - over DVB-H, which is supposed to be more battery-friendly - has worse battery life; so has the Nokia DVB-H BT module I've quickly reviewed in one of my MWC reports.

The CPU is apparently capable of H.264 decoding, but I've yet to actually find a HD transmission for it to receive; despite a fair bit of driving around. Afraid I can't tell if it's able to actually decode such a signal because of this.

Do you like in the UK? If you do, I quickly look up where HD transmissions are given from in London (it's named some "castle" or something like that). (Albeit I strongly suspect the device won't decode full HD (1080i) broadcasts. And, of course, the vast majority of current notebook DVB-T cards aren't H.264-compliant either...)

Guest FloatingFatMan
How come? Even the lowest-end PCMCIA cards / USB sticks are able to do this (right nto MPEG2) and they don't need much CPU cover as they just save the transport stream (read: no MPEG encoding needed). And, of course, the Nokia N96 is also able to record all broadcasts (even if they're "only" DVB-H, meaning lower (quarter) resolution.)

This sucks too. Just take an example of the 1.5-year-old Nokia N95... I just don't understand why WinMo device manufacurers don't try to implement so good multimedia functionality as is available in the Nokias...

I've raised the issue of video recording with E-Ten, so they ARE aware of it. I think a lot of it is just limited time available before the release date. There was SOME mention of hardware limitations, but their programmers continue to work on it.

WOWZ! Impressive!!! (Just a comparison: according to some sources, the Nokia N96 - over DVB-H, which is supposed to be more battery-friendly - has worse battery life; so has the Nokia DVB-H BT module I've quickly reviewed in one of my MWC reports.

Do you like in the UK? If you do, I quickly look up where HD transmissions are given from in London (it's named some "castle" or something like that). (Albeit I strongly suspect the device won't decode full HD (1080i) broadcasts. And, of course, the vast majority of current notebook DVB-T cards aren't H.264-compliant either...)

The battery life it pretty good, though it DOES have a bad habit of getting a bit warm...

Yeah, I'm in the Kent region. I've tried a few transmitters, but with only a laptop and a Hauppuage Nova-T DVB-T USB stick to compare against, it's not so easy (that thing can't get HD channels either!)

The TV reception IS pretty good, but it has the same limitation that ALL mobile devices have; limited power available for the receiver, and a small aerial. They could probably improve channel reception by increasing the power to the device, but that would just shorten viewing time. Pro's and con's really...

Still, the channels that you DO receive (and there are plenty of them), have excellent picture and sound quality.

Edited by FloatingFatMan

Guest Menneisyys
I've raised the issue of video recording with E-Ten, so they ARE aware of it. I think a lot of it is just limited time available before the release date. There was SOME mention of hardware limitations, but their programmers continue to work on it.

I don't thinkg there's any HW limitation, not even with ~4-5 Mbps MPEG2 streams. The storage card data interface is at least two times faster so it should be able to directly record MPEG2 TS streams.

The battery life it pretty good, though it DOES have a bad habit of getting a bit warm...

That isn't a problem unless it gets really hot.

Yeah, I'm in the Kent region. I've tried a few transmitters, but with only a laptop and a Hauppuage Nova-T DVB-T USB stick to compare against, it's not so easy (that thing can't get HD channels either!)

Yup, most USB sticks / PCMCIA / PCI Exress cards aren't H.264-HD-compliant either

• 2 weeks later...
Guest invisiblesense

Any news on when the V900 might be released? ;)

It's nearly October and yet there's been no news from Eten..

FloatingFatMan,

You've had it for a while now, are you still testing the device and what are your views about now?

Regards!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FloatingFatMan
Any news on when the V900 might be released? :lol:

It's nearly October and yet there's been no news from Eten..

FloatingFatMan,

You've had it for a while now, are you still testing the device and what are your views about now?

Regards!

Ooops, been pretty busy lately and forgot to check back here!

Yeah, still testing the device, and still in two minds about a few things. The TV functions on the device are good, but I'm not really finding myself using them; probably because I just don't really WATCH TV anymore... :D The GPS feature I use FAR more, and getting a lock from a cold start within 30 seconds is a total dream compared to the 3-5 minutes I have to wait on my Kaiser.

There's still a few oddities with the device which are a bit annoying, but they will hopefully be fixed in a ROM update before long... Still, it's a far comfier fit in my pocket than the Kaiser. I think I'm cured of devices with hardware keyboards, they just make them too bulky!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.