Incorrect Data Charges - any ideas?

Guest KettererE

Guest KettererE

(cross post - sorry!)

I've got an old Audiovox SMT5600 that my wife uses. Since the beginning of July or so we have been getting errors on, when the phone is not even being used, that say:

Connectoin Error

Unable to place call

When we do use the phone to make a voice call, it says something like:

Unable to place data call while in voice mode

Well now it turns out that data calls of some kind must have been made because we have been billed over $350 US for data on that phone even though we NEVER use the internet on it. My wife does not even know how.

One thing that she remembers is getting a MMS message with a photo attached...the photo never came through. When trying to get the photo to download that's when she remembers the error messages starting.

Is it possible these are MMS data calls trying to download the photo over and over for 2 months now?

ATT will not help and thinks we were just running up long internet sessions on the phone.

Help!!!

Guest tsutton

Ask for breakdown of these charges - by law they must supply you with it.

Then you can see if you can take it further. But really, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. The question is; how come you did not sort it out 2 months ago? That's the question that ATT will ask.

Guest KettererE
Ask for breakdown of these charges - by law they must supply you with it.

Then you can see if you can take it further. But really, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. The question is; how come you did not sort it out 2 months ago? That's the question that ATT will ask.

My credit card is automatically charged by ATT...it's always the same amount...or within a few cents. Last month I just did not notice it was so high. I noticed right away this month and it is only about 30 days since the first high month bill...not too bad but not great. I got used to not reviewing the bill because it was fixed-price and always the same amount. Won't be making that mistake again.

They will detail the charges, but only the data amount used...not the sites or IP addresses, etc.

I think a bug or defect in the phone caused this. We have unlimited data on my phone and have no reason to run up per KB data charges on her phone.

Guest Confucious

If you don't want to use data on her phone why do you have a connection available - either delete it completely or use nodata.

Then ask for a breakdown of what you have used.