Secany's ROM research thread... NEW: DXIA2

Guest secany

Hi guys,

I am new to Omnia (well, actually I am still waiting for my Omnia to come! :) ).. I have looked around for a ROM so that I can upgrade my Omnia when it actually arrives..

Since I am a newbie to Omnia and WinMo device as general, I ve decided to use Secany's official ROM (this is official right?) instead of Cooked Rom (scared of bricking my Omnia..). Few ppl say DXHL3 is the best so far, even compare to the latest one DXIA1.. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is Secany ROM in .exe format or I have to use GrandPrix? Heard using GrandPrix not for newbie since its risky and can brick the phone if something goes wrong..?

Thanks in advance ^^

:D

There is a good utility i900 EXEcutor 1.5 that allows you to combine the individual files into an exe if you don't want to use GrandPrix which works really well. You can then flash the phone with the exe that is generated. The program can be found on this forum.

pda512,

Are you sure that i900 EXEcutor 1.5 will do this safely? I thought Secany said that there's a new structure to the ROM updates! Does EXEcutor work with the new structure?

Regards,

Guest Barthlon
pda512,

Are you sure that i900 EXEcutor 1.5 will do this safely? I thought Secany said that there's a new structure to the ROM updates! Does EXEcutor work with the new structure?

Regards,

yes it does work, i created "my own" ia1 installer with it and it works perfectly. no worries.

just make sure you have the modem drivers installed etc. and you're ready to go!

pda512,

Regards,

Confirmed - I have flashed using this method a few times now.

Guest alvinezz
yes it does work, i created "my own" ia1 installer with it and it works perfectly. no worries.

just make sure you have the modem drivers installed etc. and you're ready to go!

hmm.. wat is modem drivers? as far as I know (from Samsung official site), we need to install Windows Mobile Device Center first (oh, I use Win Vista 64 btw).. are the modem drivers included in that application?

I read that its not advisable to flash Omnia with Vista 64, is that true? Or has the situation changed now since Samsung has officially put Vista as an option in their official Omnia Upgrade website?

NB: Yesterday I successfully flashed my sis old O2 Zinc using Vista 64 + Windows Mobile Device Center

Thanks in advance :)

Guest Barthlon
hmm.. wat is modem drivers? as far as I know (from Samsung official site), we need to install Windows Mobile Device Center first (oh, I use Win Vista 64 btw).. are the modem drivers included in that application?

I read that its not advisable to flash Omnia with Vista 64, is that true? Or has the situation changed now since Samsung has officially put Vista as an option in their official Omnia Upgrade website?

NB: Yesterday I successfully flashed my sis old O2 Zinc using Vista 64 + Windows Mobile Device Center

Thanks in advance :)

then you should carefully read some more on this forum (or wait for someone else to jump in here). i myself am on windows xp and it works perfectly, but i know that it has harder (read: more dangerous) to flash with vista. i don't know exactly why, but i have not taken the time to read more about it, because i'm not using it. but there is enough about flashing with vista on these forums, so good luck ! :D

Guest alvinezz
then you should carefully read some more on this forum (or wait for someone else to jump in here). i myself am on windows xp and it works perfectly, but i know that it has harder (read: more dangerous) to flash with vista. i don't know exactly why, but i have not taken the time to read more about it, because i'm not using it. but there is enough about flashing with vista on these forums, so good luck ! :)

thanks for the advice Barthlon.. :D

Back to my original question .. what is Modem Driver? Is it included in the WIndows Mobile Device Center (for Vista) / ActiveSync (for XP), because as far as I know from Samsung official upgrade site, only Windows Mobile Device Center / ActiveSync needed (+ the ROM itself, of course).

Or do I need to install this Modem Driver if I want to use non-official / custom / cooked ROMs, including this Secany's ROM (Secany ROM = official?) ?

Anyone can explain it to me pls? Thanks in advance :) (I am using Vista 64bit)

Guest ckf8829

Can any1 help,pls?

My rom is DXIA1 PDA is HL3...my widget will only appear a while then missing..after the processing sign is on screen even i connected to wifi,reboot more than 5 times....pls help

Many thanks

Guest Barthlon
thanks for the advice Barthlon.. :)

Back to my original question .. what is Modem Driver? Is it included in the WIndows Mobile Device Center (for Vista) / ActiveSync (for XP), because as far as I know from Samsung official upgrade site, only Windows Mobile Device Center / ActiveSync needed (+ the ROM itself, of course).

Or do I need to install this Modem Driver if I want to use non-official / custom / cooked ROMs, including this Secany's ROM (Secany ROM = official?) ?

Anyone can explain it to me pls? Thanks in advance :D (I am using Vista 64bit)

it is also known as cdma driver :)

for xp it can be found here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...ia-cdma-driver/

this is needed to switch to the phone part while updating. for both "official" roms as well as secany and cooked roms, it's just part of the update process ;)

again, on windows xp everything normally works like a charm, but on vista there are some problems.

a quick search on the forum gave me these, hope they help. good luck! :P :

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...sh-using-vista/

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...-windows-vista/

Has anybody tried flashing with new GrandPrix (v1.8.10) for XP under Vista? Does it help if I select XP compatibility mode before running?

The WM drivers, and the way they interact with your phone changed in Vista, so it's more like a driver issue, for which there aren't too much workarounds.

Guest Barthlon
Why don't people just make a list of EXE(assembled) roms? It would be easier for all the 'flashers'. :)

because it is just as easy to flash it with grandprix or to make an .exe on your own...

if we start with that we might just as well come by your house and flash the phone for you... :D

Guest Cyber2Fun

:) Can't find guide for grand prix. (I downloaded a .doc on rapidshare - like given here somewhere but I can't open it on my comp - it's windows 97 something)

Someone link me to a guide on how to use grandprix? : ) I wanna flash DXIA [currently DZHK]

Guest alvinezz
it is also known as cdma driver :D

for xp it can be found here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...ia-cdma-driver/

this is needed to switch to the phone part while updating. for both "official" roms as well as secany and cooked roms, it's just part of the update process :)

again, on windows xp everything normally works like a charm, but on vista there are some problems.

a quick search on the forum gave me these, hope they help. good luck! ;) :

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...sh-using-vista/

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...-windows-vista/

thanks for the links! (even though theres no solution for vista x64.. yet ) :)

still not too clear about the Modem Driver thingy.. Do I need it if I want to upgrade using official ROM from official Samsung site? Coz in that website, it doesnt say / provide the modem driver.. only need to install ActiveSync(XP) or WinMo Device Center (vista)..

This Secany ROM is Official Samsung ROM but leaked, right? CMIIW

Thanks =)

Guest d1mitrov

Does anyone live in the Tampa/St Petersburg, FL are that might be willing to help me out with this. I really want to do it but i dont think ill be able to and i dont want to mess up my phone. Please let me know. Thank you so much!!!

Guest Rednose5
:) Can't find guide for grand prix. (I downloaded a .doc on rapidshare - like given here somewhere but I can't open it on my comp - it's windows 97 something)

Someone link me to a guide on how to use grandprix? : ) I wanna flash DXIA [currently DZHK]

Allright,

I've found this here before (in the same thread) and it worked for me:

Before you start check that you have all the 4 files needed, they will have names like Bootimage...nb0 , ....phone.bin , CSC....csc , PDA...bin.

With the dots ... representing a version number.

00. Shut off the phone

01. Rename the files to eboot.nb0 , phone.bin , customer.csc and pda.bin

02. Turn off phone

03. run GrandPrix

04. Select a profile: "GRANDPRIX LV image"

05. Load "loader" with eboot.nb0, "pda" with pda.bin, "CSC" with customer.csc, "Phone" with phone.bin

06. I would chechmark "Format Devices Internal Large Disk" as it appears to work best.

07. Connect phone, turn on

08. Click on Detect button and wait... Until you are able to use "Start Downloading".

09. Push "Start Downloading" and the update will start.

10. In the right part of the screen you can follow the update process. I don't remember what message will be displayed but it must be something like "Job Done", "Job Finished" or whatever.

11. Disconnect the phone, start it up, do 1 or 2 hard resets and your done.

To be on the save side and a little more complete I've added 6 points.

Edited by Rednose5

As I have succesfully uploaded ROMs with Grandprix several times, I suggest changing order of stpes 7 and 8:

07. Connect phone (still turned off), click on Detect button.

08. Turn on phone and wait... Until you are able to use "Start Downloading".

Also, previous installation of Samsung's Modem Driver is necessary for successful uploading of Phone part.

The WM drivers, and the way they interact with your phone changed in Vista, so it's more like a driver issue, for which there aren't too much workarounds.

I think if OS can recognize your device connected to a USB port there is no need for drivers until you get to the Phone part downloading step. So it's only an executable running or not running correctly under Vista. Due to modem driver issues I cannot flash the Phone part under Vista anyway, I have to use XP (and GP for XP) as guest OS with VMWare. :)

Guest lastnikita
Has anybody tried flashing with new GrandPrix (v1.8.10) for XP under Vista? Does it help if I select XP compatibility mode before running?

where can we find this please ?

Guest lastnikita

thanks !

strange, the name changed from usdl to umdl.. Uman downloader ? :)

the latest ROMs released are still using usdl 1.6.4, where did you find this one ?

I don't trust it !

Edited by lastnikita