T-Mobile HSDPA speeds plummetting

Guest pete_thomson

Guest smartyspantswales

t-mobiles network has finally collapsed around here. for last two week, not been able to stay connected for more than 10 mins at a time. as i said before i'm in abertillery, south wales. packet loss is around 40-60%, ive only been able to get a few web pages in the last few weeks, i managed to complete 1 speedtest (out of about 25 attempts) and it reported ZERO download speed and around 200kbps upload. ive got two modems and a viewty phone which i used to use as a modem, tried them all with 3 pcs in different locations locally. can anyone help? how do i get it through to someone at t-mobile that its DIED, ive rang up various times before and i get lots of useless information they read off a piece of paper. i dont really want to pay for this anymore, 13 months to go on this contract, and 7 on my others.

Guest smartyspantswales

i think ive broken a new record, pinging the bbc 100 times, gave a 87% packet loss, i took a screenshot too.

whats the normal packet loss?

post-432925-1225321833_thumb.jpg

Guest Packmoor Warrior

I have been having a similar problem for the last 5 months at work and it took several calls and e-mails to TM to get the facts over to them and for them to get back to me, although they weren’t able to tell me when they hope to resolve the situation. As I was out of contract, and still am, they credited me around £80 as well as reducing my monthly payment to less than £20 for Flex35 with W&W plus until the problem is resolved. But if you are in a contract then I would be pushing to be released from it as they are not giving you the service you had when you took out the contract with them, or at least a considerable reduction.

Guest Confucious
educing my monthly payment to less than £20 for Flex35 with W&W plus

:lol: I have to pay £20.51/month for mine

Mind you I do get about 1.2Mb on HSDPA and have never had a problem...

Guest Packmoor Warrior

Think I was paying around £37.00 before they reduced it, I am getting around 90k at best at work but have no problems at all when I leave the areas.

Edited by Packmoor Warrior

Guest smartyspantswales

i finally phoned up yesterday as i couldnt even connect for last few days. They told me they aware of it and should allow 24 hours. i thought 'OH YEAH, RIGHT!'

to my amazement, its been working all morning, and i had some sub 70 pings to bbc.co.uk, as low as 62, best ive ever seen.

its still just as slow mind, but as long as i avoid surfing during the 'PEAK TIME BLUES', im happy till it breaks again

Guest smartyspantswales

my 3 sim card ran out of juice this evening, so i was forced to try my t-mobile at peak time. Speeds are the usual, with speedtests ranging from 24kbps upto 700 but packet loss is under 1 percent, and average pings are still under 100. ive played batllefield 2 for an hour, and only got disconnected once, not been kicked once for high ping, and my worst ping spike was around 250, which is quite amazing. i havn't been able to play an fps game properly online for many, many months. now, if only they increased the backhaul.

another wierd thing i noticed, when i ring up tech support i always get someone in the uk (scotland, it seems) now, but when i only had 1 account, it was always someone in india or summit.

Guest Confucious

See my other post for my latest experience of T-Mob CS.

In my experience I get UK (Yup seems to be Skotland) about one in three times but when they phone back it is always from the UK.

I am sure that the Indian call centers can deal with most things but when they can't you want to speak to someone from the UK - T actually seem to have got this right, if you have a problem all you want is for it to be sorted. If the person you are speaking to can't help any other problem will be exacerbated so them not understanding you or vice verca just makes things worse. When you are wound up, little things that are perfectly acceptable normally, just make things worse.

T seem to have got the balance right - IMHO, any problem and they put someone on that is designed to sooth you (apparently that's what the Scott's accemt does) but for the vast majority of problems an Indian call center can deal with a lot cheaper than a UK one. The best of both worlds - probably.

Guest smartyspantswales

yeah. i was well impressed. they do seem to care after all.

look at the difference between my last ping test to this one.

first time its ever felt like ADSL.

even at peak time tonight, it felt fast (200k-300k in speedtests), but all web pages appeared in seconds, not minutes, and no dodgy web pages and no need to keep refreshing page till it worked like ive had to for many months.

i still dont understand how they have reduced packet loss to under 1% when its still congested at peak. i thought congestion was the cause for packet loss. i think i need HUMPRY12345 to educate me.

post-432925-1226108901_thumb.jpg

Guest humph12345
yeah. i was well impressed. they do seem to care after all.

look at the difference between my last ping test to this one.

first time its ever felt like ADSL.

even at peak time tonight, it felt fast (200k-300k in speedtests), but all web pages appeared in seconds, not minutes, and no dodgy web pages and no need to keep refreshing page till it worked like ive had to for many months.

i still dont understand how they have reduced packet loss to under 1% when its still congested at peak. i thought congestion was the cause for packet loss. i think i need HUMPRY12345 to educate me.

Congestion at the base station can cause lost packets, but I would suspect the problem in T-mobiles network is more to do with capacity issue on the RNC and the core network.

The RNC is the radio network controller and it controls the base station, these have a limited number of base stations they can control, get close to this number and you get lost packets.

The core network connects the RNC's to the outside world, the PSTN system, other networks and the internet. If this isn't upgraded along with the base station side, it goes into congestion and you lose packets.

T-mobile are a victim of their own sucess