Introducing... the HTC Touch HD

Guest mobiman2008

Guest Syphon Filter
2.8" VGA and 3" WVGA screens are just to small for many people. Sure, they cram in a lot of information, but fonts are often too small to read comfortably so they become tiring to use. That's where the the iPhone and Omnia win out, as as well as being hi-res, they're comfortable to view for extended periods. HTC have obviously picked up on this and responded, so well done for giving us the choice, I say.

The iPhone is by no means "high res" though, it's just a large screen. Which means the DPI is lower.

3.8" or 4" ... does it really matter? What's 0.2" between friends? :wacko:

Well, the bigger the screen to start with, the more of a difference (in overall area) 0.2" diagonal makes - so the step up from 3.8" to 4" can be quite a bit (~0.42 inches squared)

I'm not sure if the increased area is as noticeable to the eye as jump from lower values such as 2.8" to 3.0" though (which is ~0.3 inches squared).

Gosh, I haven't solved quadratic equations for years. Thanks for bringing back the memories ;)

2.8" VGA and 3" WVGA screens are just to small for many people. Sure, they cram in a lot of information, but fonts are often too small to read comfortably so they become tiring to use. That's where the the iPhone and Omnia win out, as as well as being hi-res, they're comfortable to view for extended periods. HTC have obviously picked up on this and responded, so well done for giving us the choice, I say.

Yes, choice is definitely a good thing.... i just want to choose a smaller device. :wacko:

Anyway, 2.8" has been a common size for WinMo phones for years now and has been a great size for QVGA screens to provide good readability. Increasing the rez to VGA or higher while keeping the screen size and AR wont affect font size as the WinMo layout is still set for QVGA. That said, having WinMo on a 4" WVGA will definitely give larger fonts but im sure those fonts would have been just as readable on a 3.5" WVGA screen... a size which would have shaved 3 or 4 mills off the width of the device. :(

P.S. Im not complaining here, im just voicing a preference. You know im gonna get one anyway. ;)

Guest Menneisyys

"Loadspeaker(s): stereo"

Wowz! I can only hope it'll even be better than the Nokia N95, so far the, loudspeaker-wise, the best handset! Then, I'll be able to completely switch from the N95 to this one.

Speaking of switching from the N95, I really hope

- HTC enables call recording in this model (just like in the Advantage / x75xx or the HTC Oxygen / s310)

- the camera will be on par with that of the N95, including, preferably, mechanical lens protection (which is also great in the N95)

- 3D hardware accelerated J2ME support

Wowz! I can only hope it'll even be better than the Nokia N95, so far the, loudspeaker-wise, the best handset! Then, I'll be able to completely switch from the N95 to this one.

Personally (and currently having used an N95 as my main handset for over 12 months now), I find the sound of the N95 to be extremely disappointing for a media phone.

The constant hiss (I assume interference from the other electronics) is very annoying - you can hear it as soon as the sound system is enabled, even before any sound is played. And the lack of fine control over the volume is also bad (I find the volume to be over-loud for most situations when sitting in a quiet room - Java games being even worse than other applications).

Guest Syphon Filter
Estimated+Battery+Life:

8 hours

? ! can't be right surely?

If the battery life of the Diamond and Touch Pro are anything to go by then I wouldnt be suprised!! That screen and the associated backlight are going to be a huge drain on the battery.

My Touch Pro will barely make it a working day (ie from leaving the house to getting back after work) with even moderate usage.

I really would like to know more about this device though, especially launch date and price point...

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest CassilineKnight
I hope HTC make this smartphone with specs, for to complete the best smartphone:

*) WM7 (WM 6.1 are ugly, old and bad UI)

*) 3,5"-4" display with 480x800

*) Capacitive touchscreen

*) 5Mpx camera WITH flash AND autofocus

*) Accelerometer and light sensor

*) 1500 mhA battery (the same of Nokia E71) - 2 day use min

*) Front camera for videocall

*) Gps+Wifi+Bluetooth+HSDPA

Dariog

Hi everyone...newbie here. I just joined to the forum so I could keep up to date with this beast of a phone. It looks like the first REAL competitor for the iPhone in my opinion. I was going to buy the iPhone 3G no questions asked but I HATE the way Apple has changed it and the pricing plan (AT&T's plans) seem a bit expensive when you look at it over 2 years.

Anyways after I decided not to get the iPhone I was all down to get either the Touch Pro or the Xperia X1. And now that the Touch Pro has an official release while the X1 is still in limbo for the US I'm pretty much ready to resign with Sprint and get the Touch Pro...

Now I found out about THIS phone...and it looks like it's better than the Diamond, the Pro, AND the X1. However I'm not sure if I'm ready for a touch screen only phone.

Also why isn't it capacitive? Are there any real benefits to capacitive touchscreens? I'll admit it kinda bums me out that this phone doesn't have it. And the lack of flash doesn't make things better. I say if HTC wants to go all out then they should go all out and put all the necessaries in that thing.

And is there any speculation as to which company in the United States will be carrying this phone? I'm a Sprint customer now and I'm sorta looking to jump ship. I hear AT&T has THE BEST network but I want to find out from others who they think is the best in the US when it comes ot both regullar coverage and 3G networks.

also I've had my phone for like 2 and a half years now and I'm sick to death of it. I'm itching to upgrade to the Touch Pro and I don't know if I have the patience to wait for this phone... ;)

Edited by CassilineKnight

Also why isn't it capacitive? Are there any real benefits to capacitive touchscreens? I'll admit it kinda bums me out that this phone doesn't have it.

Capacitive touchscreens don't require pressure on the screen to work (so can be hard glass, like on the iphone).

But because they rely on the capacitive effect from your body, they can't detect an inorganic stylus, nor do they have the pixel-perfect precision given by a stylus tip's pressure point.

Hence with a capacitive screen it would be impossible to control many of the "fiddly" bits of WM's user interface.

Edited by Metoo

Guest timeline
3.5mm headphone jack, hurrah! ;)

P

I'll believe it when I see it IN STORES! <_<

Anyway, this dev is a bit big, hopefully they'll add 3.5mm to other dev in the future too.

Guest Menneisyys
confirmed!

Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz

no freaking 850/1900 for USA 3G!

now i can get a spare battery for Sony x1 since i going to keep it for awhile!

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p...mp;postcount=84

Judging from the (computer-generated?) photos, it won't have stereo speakers, as opposed to what the pdadb.net page ( http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1469 ) have stated for some days. This is certainly bad news - after having used the in wide stereo mode *excellent* speakers of the Nokia N95, I don't want anything worse when playing back stuff while walking or while just resting after the sauna or swimming. Why HTC can't understand the multimedia features of their phones are still lacking?

Another point is the lack of any kind of physical lens protection. If the camera turns out to be at least as good as that of the N95, NOT providing a lens protector is a cardinal mistake...

Otherwise, it looks VERY cool!

Judging from the (computer-generated?) photos, it won't have stereo speakers, as opposed to what the pdadb.net page ( http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1469 ) have stated for some days. This is certainly bad news - after having used the in wide stereo mode *excellent* speakers of the Nokia N95, I don't want anything worse when playing back stuff while walking or while just resting after the sauna or swimming. Why HTC can't understand the multimedia features of their phones are still lacking?

I don't get this obsession with playing music out of a tiny 2mm speaker, or how in the world you can call the sound *excellent*. To me there is nothing more grating. Leave that for the 15-year olds hanging round the bus station (round here the N95 is pretty much a "chav"'s phone anyway). Do the music (and those around you) a favour, and either use some proper speakers or headphones. Your music, and ears, deserve much better! ;)

Edited by Metoo

Guest theroadwarrior

This does look very interesting.. perhaps its effectively the diamond's replacement. If its due before christmas its not a replacement for the touch pro, as while thats available its only just on the networks.

Syphon filter- agree with you, i can do without the keyboard, and a thinner device would be nice.. that screen would help make up for not having a KB too.

Part of me wonders if it is a replacement for the diamond, they might hold back the specs so it doesnt compete too well with the touch pro?

Guest Syphon Filter
This does look very interesting.. perhaps its effectively the diamond's replacement. If its due before christmas its not a replacement for the touch pro, as while thats available its only just on the networks.

Syphon filter- agree with you, i can do without the keyboard, and a thinner device would be nice.. that screen would help make up for not having a KB too.

Part of me wonders if it is a replacement for the diamond, they might hold back the specs so it doesnt compete too well with the touch pro?

Surely not? The Diamond hasn't been out long enough to be superceded yet has it?

I wonder how much this thing will be when it lands. If I can flog my Touch Pro and get a Touch HD for negligible cost (ideally no cost, i.e. sales price of TP covers buy price of Touch HD) then I'll probably go for it.

EDIT:

mobiman, any idea if it will fit in an HTC G300 dock? With an appropriate insert.

EDIT II:

Just measured the "void" in the G300, ie the hole in the dock when there is no "insert" fitted. 68mm, this phone is 62mm wide, so in theory it should fit.

Edited by Syphon Filter

I just did a little math comparing the sizes and resolutions of the iPhone and the Touch HD. The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen (480 x 320) and the Touch HD has a 3.8 inch screen (800 x 480). Both phones are 115 mm tall and the Touch HD is 1.8 mm wider.

My results:

While the Touch HD has only 3% more front facing surface area than the iPhone, it has a 12.3% larger screen! Also, this larger screen has 2.5 times the resolution of the iPhone.

This is how the iPhone should have been engineered!

Do you think programs designed for VGA will be able to run on WVGA?

Do you think the larger screen will significantly decrease battery life?

Guest Menneisyys
I just did a little math comparing the sizes and resolutions of the iPhone and the Touch HD. The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen (480 x 320) and the Touch HD has a 3.8 inch screen (800 x 480). Both phones are 115 mm tall and the Touch HD is 1.8 mm wider.

My results:

While the Touch HD has only 3% more front facing surface area than the iPhone, it has a 12.3% larger screen! Also, this larger screen has 2.5 times the resolution of the iPhone.

This is how the iPhone should have been engineered!

Do you think programs designed for VGA will be able to run on WVGA?

Do you think the larger screen will significantly decrease battery life?

most (non-WVGA-aware) games won't and will exhibit major gfx problems. With applications, the situation seems to be better. See the Toshi g900 compatibility threads.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.