Windows Mobile 7 delayed

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
wm72009boo-20080923-164159.jpg
In line with what i've been hearing (sadly), this story just appeared on CNet News.

In brief...

Microsoft has informed some of its partners that it has had to delay Windows Mobile 7, a much anticipated update to its cell phone operating system.

Although Microsoft has not publicly said when to expect Windows Mobile 7, partners who had expected to have a final release in their hands by early next year have been told now that it won't be ready until the second half of next year, sources told CNET News.

The delay is a significant blow for the software maker, which has been counting on the next version of Windows Mobile to enable devices that better rival Apple's iPhone.

I wonder if we'll see WM7 handsets before Christmas 2009? :wacko:

Discuss!

P

EDIT :
Kudos to JTHM for the tip ;)

Sad news! ;) Has all the iPhone 3G/Android hype forced Microsoft into a radical rethink of WM7 or is this simply a delay in development? Only time will tell I guess.

You'll never know...

Guest FlangeArtist

Way to go M$FT...bury the news behind Android! What a dissapointment. So that's settled for the HTC Touch HD, Win Mob 6.1....*ugh* Let's hope that an Android ROM get's cooked.

Hmmm not good news!!

Well guys it is making me seriously think about getting a cooked 3G Iphone.

I had decided to hold off on an Iphone as the functionality did not seem to be there but wait for WM7 in early 09 but this does change my thinking, will mean another trawl thru the iphone apps store to see how things could work out for me there.

Kaaeed

Guest nickynoodles

Useless ... I would bet that they are doing the typical MS thing of trying to allow every Windows Mobile app ever written to work on 7, whilst trying to make good touch phone OS.

A 3G iPhone is looking more and more tempting. I'm not sure I want to buy another product with WinMobile in it's current state.

HTC will throw it's weight behind Android if it has any sense. It doesn't look perfect but it seems a better touch phone OS than WinMob 6.1

Sorry, but who cares????

Unless it is a step change (unlikely) then it needs to really advertise corporately or else it is dead. Will the average (non corporate / non geek) notice the obvious difference? If the answer is no then why bother?

I am being obtuse as this needs questioning for its relevancy........

Guest Sonicr360

Got to say, it does not bother me in the slightest. Who wants to keep upgrading the phone / OS just for some updates / new style interface / features.

For business users, most will depend on Exchange 2007 if you want HTML Mail / better push features, integrated your Outlook Mailbox with Ex2k7.

Who wants the so called Multi Touch features of the OS? How many people want it? Will the drivers be compatible with only certain handsets that means most may have to upgrade (again) ?

For those that want a new iPhone interface, get an iPhone if you really feel you really, really want it.

Luckily, someone at work has the old iPhone and 3G version, and even now, I am still not convinved its for me. Even texting on the device can sometimes be clumsy. At first I thought it was me, but even the owner gets a little frustrated now and then.

Is it really that bad news that you are going to crumble to pieces, or spit out your corn flakes because something from M$ is delayed?

Stick with what you got ... if you are happy to do so :wacko:.

If you have lots of money, and happy to get a new model with this so called Windows Mobile 7, then go ahead and do it.

And if other manufacturers are bringing out new phones with new OS, then review the functionality and features, and if it suits you, buy it.

On the other hand...... could it be worth the wait?? Could M$ be planning something that no one knows. Time will tell (well 2nd half of next year to be exact! ;) )

Simon

Guest Sonicr360
Sorry, but who cares????

Unless it is a step change (unlikely) then it needs to really advertise corporately or else it is dead. Will the average (non corporate / non geek) notice the obvious difference? If the answer is no then why bother?

Got to agree here Mcwarre!

Guest Confucious

Relevancy? What has that got to do with it? It's new! It's shiny!

I want and I want NOW!

;)

Guest pd.ryder
Sorry, but who cares????

Unless it is a step change (unlikely) then it needs to really advertise corporately or else it is dead.

The NHS has just turned its nose up at WM, prefering to go the Blackberry route. I'm currently being batted away by IT having asked awkward questings about them enabling Exchange's push system for existing WM users. They're not keen, citing security issues.

;)

Guest FutureDirt
The NHS has just turned its nose up at WM, prefering to go the Blackberry route. I'm currently being batted away by IT having asked awkward questings about them enabling Exchange's push system for existing WM users. They're not keen, citing security issues.

;)

Man.... that sucks... they need to get some IT people in there that know wtf they are talking about by the sounds of it. Citing security issues is absolute bollocks... Exchange with WM and SSL certificates is just as secure as blackberry. I cant actually believe that people still buy blackberry in corporate environments as the license costs are ridiculous. If you already have an Exchange server it costs you far far less to simply secure your syncronisation with SSL certificates then it does to licence software from RIM.

With regard to the delayed release of WM7... i was hoping that we would start to see WM7 devices in and around feb march 2008... sounds like that will not happen now.

That however, suits me down to the ground as by the time we see some decent wm7 devices ill be due an upgrade on my personal contract and i should have a few grand in the pot for the business mobiles!

Guest Mike1002

Just read this, although don't know how accurate it is.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/26/windows-...s-late-as-2010/]

Windows Mobile 7 phone release now seriously delayed — could be as late as 2010

Microsoft is delaying the update to its mobile operating system, called Windows Mobile 7, with the new phones carrying the operating system now increasingly unlikely to hit the market before 2010, according to sources. The delay comes at a bad time for Microsoft, because rivals like the iPhone and now Google’s Android are hitting the market with souped up operating systems that are creating a lot of buzz. Apple’s iPhone 3G is showing significant traction, and Android has created its own buzz by pushing an open source mantra — because openness wins converts among developers.

CNET first reported about a significant delay. Microsoft partners who had expected to have a final release in their hands by early 2009 have been told now that it won’t be ready until the second half of 2009. However, those partners will need access to the OS for a few months before they can begin distribution, pushing back earliest circulation of the phones into 2010. Partners include companies like Verizon, Motorola and Samsung, all of which plan new phones that include the Mobile Windows 7 OS.

We contacted Microsoft last night for comment. They said early today they’d have a response shortly, but we haven’t heard back. We’ll update when we hear.

windows7.jpgWindows Mobile 7 is expected to have features like gesture recognition and speech input. In the meantime, Microsoft will push for a minor update its 6.1 version as early as this year still, calling it 6.2 — which will have some bells and whistles like an improved browser that can display Flash and Ajax applications. (See screenshot left of the pending update, which shows that Explorer 6 will be rendering on the OS; more at Theunwired).

CEO Steve Ballmer and mobile unit head Andy Lees met with 17 of the company’s largest cell phone maker and carrier partners recently, and that’s when the news of the delay first circulated.

Guest pd.ryder
Man.... that sucks... they need to get some IT people in there that know wtf they are talking about by the sounds of it. Citing security issues is absolute bollocks... Exchange with WM and SSL certificates is just as secure as blackberry. I cant actually believe that people still buy blackberry in corporate environments as the license costs are ridiculous. If you already have an Exchange server it costs you far far less to simply secure your syncronisation with SSL certificates then it does to licence software from RIM.

Mate they won't even let us use fax/printers in case some numpty dials in through the fax line and hacks the system! ;)

This is actually good news for me. I can go ahead and buy an HTC Touch HD when released in the knowledge there will be plenty of good solid ROMs cooked without the experimental factor of a new OS which will need new drivers, new software, new knowledge etc... Besides Vista was released ages ago now and it still isn't ready for proper use! ;)

By the time WM7 is released there will be several new phones on the market and Android will have matured whilst Apple will have pushed the boundaries with something cool and functional again - which can only be good for developers of anything at Microsoft because it will (hopefully) kick their ars*s into making Win Mobile a solid, fast and functional OS. Wishful thinking heh?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.