T-Mobile Winter Showcase - Vario IV and G1 in attendance

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]

/>
type='application/x-shockwave-flash' allowfullscreen='true' width='480' height='295'>Yesterday I spent some time in London at the T-Mobile Winter Showcase. This is basically where T-Mo pimp their wares for the coming season... and this time they had the chance to show off a couple of devices of interest to readers here, namely the MDA Vario IV and the Android based G1.

I've included a video of the G1 in action (excuse the fact i'm a complete android n00b), as well as some MDA Vario IV pics below.

If you have any questions on either, hit me up in this topic! Really liking the MDA IV, bit slicker in appearance than the Touch Pro... really not overly enamoured with the uber-plasticky (especially in Black!) G1.

Discuss! :wacko:

P

PS Apologies for the lighting in the video and pictures, the venue lighting was AWFUL! And very pink... ;)

PPS News page readers - photos after the jump!

PPPS That's not a Pink G1... it's the white one in the dodgy lighting! :(

[/teaser]

DPP_0400.jpgDPP_0401.jpg

DPP_0402.jpgDPP_0403.jpg

DPP_0404.jpgDPP_0405.jpg

DPP_0406.jpgDPP_0412.jpg

DPP_0413.jpgDPP_0414.jpg

DPP_0417.jpgDPP_0418.jpg

Guest jchamier

Thanks Paul. I guess no release date yet from T for the Vario IV? Your Android demo makes it look very very like an iPhone competitor, the way the screen works is pretty comparable. However with no Exchange syncing, Android seems a bit "behind the times" already.

What did you think? Is the Vario IV superior to the G1 ? Or do you think after using the Android has things to teach the Microsoft/WM models that the iPhone hasn't already taught us?

The Touch Pro is expensive, and with the HD also appearing shortly, and maybe an HD Pro (with keyboard), is Android just a diversion for Tmob & Google that won't help them in the long run? Can't see corps replacing Blackberry with Android, like the iPhone v2 was supposed to do!

Just need that touchscreen and UI on WM7 !

Guest Paul (MVP)

I pushed T-Mo on a Vario IV release date, but couldn't really get a sensible answer. I agree that no Exchange on the G1 rules it out for many.

On that basis alone I preferred the Vario IV, but aside from that, I felt the G1 had it's plus points but felt very cheap in build and pretty immature in implementation (hey, it is V1 after all?)

Still not sure which is best out of the Vario IV and the Xperia X1, but if you're a T-Mo'er then it's all pretty irrelevant as I believe T-Mo WON'T be taking the X1...?

P

Guest T39andcounting
I am disappointed with the G1 to be honest. Not what I was expecting and the OS looks crappy

I was pleasantly surprised actually. Looks quite responsive in the video. I think Google are going to have almost the opposite problem to Apple though... google never take stuff out of beta, and by the look of the hardware and O/S this still looks like a beta product, but it's obviously is being marketed as a full product by T mobile. Exchange connections and desktop sync will probably come when they get round to it, or when someone hacks it to work. I wonder if they would have been better off launching this without a network as a beta product for the geeks to play with, waited to see what they come up with, and launch a full service with a network in 6/12 months time.

What Apple and Google both want to do with this is change the mobile model, but what they both seem to be forgetting is that the main problem is usually the networks!

Guest nickcornaglia

it IS very responsive! The way WM should be! I love the UI with the sliding menus. All very iPhone-esque without ripping of the iPhone at all. Nice. Though I hate the hardware! Looks like they took a WM reject off the R&D table and slapped Android in it.

Guest Gorskar

Well when you think back to the original SPV, and compare it to current WM smartphones you can see how quickly something can go from clunky poorly supported, iffy hardware to a mature platform... it'll just take a few iterations (and has the advantage that you don't need to hack an app unlock before you can put 3rd party apps onto it!)

I've got to admit I'm not taken with it as it looks now (the Vario IV is far more likely to end up in my pocket) but in a year or two... who knows!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.