The official Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest RayBanUK

Hmmm really wondering what the X1 will be like for multimedia. It seems to have some adapted version of the Media Manager from SE but then the software for music isnt the Walkman stuff though it looks similar. By the same token, the camera wont be the same as the Cybershot ones and once again I would like to see how that compares to the HTC 3.2 cameras, although as Paul says, its probably the HTC one anyway.

So kind begs the question, is it really just a glorified HTC with SE badging? I hope not.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi,

Can you test the audio quality using that long-awaited 3.5 mm audio jack and a pair of good headphones?

Thorough audio performance testing would also be a VERY nice addition - and please please do some RMAA tests!

IMHO, a good example can be found here:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-5800-2-en.shtml

(Check the Music department section) 

P.S. Will you do a comprehensive review of the SEX1 ? If yes, then when it's going to be published at MoDaCo?

P.P.S. Please excuse my poor English - I'm not a native speaker.  

Er, will give it a bash with my Ultimate Ears :lol:

I will be doing a full review next week.

P

Hmmm not the best in the world but then again am not too fussed - I have the N95 so if I know that if at the start of the day I will need to take a video i'll just pop my sim in and take that out during the day. For incidental filming it will do though....

Lol - that black cat looks very lazy - he was almost like 'Dude, get that camera out of my face'....

Hey Paul,

Thanks SOOO much for those screenies, you've made me a VERY happy man! I no longer have to cancel my order with Expansys Canada (too bad we can't use your vouchers), as I should be able to use the X1i here in Canada. One minor thing that still irks me is that someone said even though the bands appear in that pull-down list, they might not be supported. I have a hard time believing this though, because your phone shows no 1700mhz band. I'm sure the X1a will likely have it, but it's sooo good to see GSM/UMTS 850+1900 in there!

I know that you guys probably don't have an 850mhz network there, so I'm sure you can't set the phone to that and see if it really does work. Oh, and this makes me wonder if there is a field-test mode in WinMo that would let you see the current GSM/UMTS frequency band that your phone is connected to. If anyone knows details for how to figure that out, it would be great to know.

In other North-Americans-needing-the-X1i-news, I've called Expansys this morning and a lovely lady told me some not-so-lovely news, that being that the X1 is delayed until the end of October. I've heard that people ordering from Clove also got the same news, so this makes sense as the carriers will be getting the first batch.

Thanks again Paul, you're definitely a truly trusted source, and I hope you are enjoying that X1 as much as I've been dreaming about it for the past 8 months!

Guest Paul (MVP)

The MoDaCo vouchers should be valid at ANY worldwide eXpansys store!

I'm hearing SIM Free delay, but shipping on O2 and Orange (via my contact at our mobiles.co.uk affiliate) on 20th October!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm liking it, with a few caveats... :lol:

Not a big fan of the dpad / optical joystick combo, the beveled screen and the keyboard (while good enough) could definitely be better.

Those aside, it's a great device! :D

P

I'm liking it, with a few caveats... :lol:

Not a big fan of the dpad / optical joystick combo, the beveled screen and the keyboard (while good enough) could definitely be better.

Those aside, it's a great device! :D

P

I hear ya about the beveled screen, as I saw some others who expressed concern about this (especially when using gestures/TouchFLO). I have had an HTC Universal forever though, so I've never even known a flush screen. I'm sure I can live with the keyboard too, but I think you could be right about the dpad/optical joystick. I'm obviously not really sure how it works, but I picture the optical joystick interfering while you are trying to touch the dpad instead. I wonder if there is a way to disable only the optical joystick similar to disabling touchpads on laptops.

Anyways, glad to hear you like it. Not to beat a dead horse, but seeing as how you are able to select the GSM/UMTS 850/1900mhz bands, then the X1i must have real support for them. It's just odd because the FCC tested the hell outta this phone and on the X1i (yes, 'i'), they only tested UMTS band II (1900mhz), so I'm wondering why they wouldn't have tested 850mhz. Oh well, at this point in the game, I'll be happy just to have one in my hands....only <20 days remaining!

*grumble*

Guest Paul (MVP)

You can disable the optical joystick (I have), and I would be happy if only the 'up' action on the dpad was better. :lol:

Can't really say what bands are in and working...

P

The MoDaCo vouchers should be valid at ANY worldwide eXpansys store!

I'm hearing SIM Free delay, but shipping on O2 and Orange (via my contact at our mobiles.co.uk affiliate) on 20th October!

P

Really? What does that mean in terms of Orange direct sales? I would have though technically they should have the phone earlier? Although I would like to leave Orange, if I could get a good deal on this without leaving then that will be a little less hassle... Interesting times... Now that you have had it for a day at least any further impressions as compared against the Omnia? In other words which phone would be your main one?

Given the hi-res, but smallish screen.. are web pages readable at full width, or is zooming a must?

I'd guess it's no replacement for a netbook, but this is so much more pocketable! :lol:

Hi Paul!

How many free RAM after a soft reset?

It shows 280 MB of Storage free, but it takes a 40 MB video stored on it, right?

If you could left a screenshot about program memory (RAM) that will be great.

Thanks!

Edited by chaves

Does TomTom 6 run correctly in this screen resolution?

If so can you run it Landscape mode without keeping the keyboard open?

If TomTom doesn't run are there any other nav programs that do?

Guest Wizzstar

A PICTURE OF T-MOBILE'S USA 3g 1700 MHz UMTS BAND on the Xperia X1, the ROM version on this Xperia X1 is dated 9/17/08 and the picture as promised was posted two days ago. This Xperia X1 have 5 UMTS bands 850/900/1700/1900/2100 UMTS bands. Go to post # 377 at http://www.bengalboy.com/modules/newbb/vie...C&start=370 and go to the picture, just before the bluetooth support profiles picture, there you will find the picture with T-Mobile's USA 3g 1700 MHz UMTS band......!

Tracy and Matt's Blog has a nice Q&A session that answers a few questions:

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/

That´s the same info...

We know that he have 384 MB of RAM, and 128 are for graphics/3d...

My question is how much free RAM for use?

In some cases i have seen 120 MB, but i´m not sure, because the first units are only with 128, and after with 256...

Guest Paul (MVP)
Given the hi-res, but smallish screen.. are web pages readable at full width, or is zooming a must?

I'd guess it's no replacement for a netbook, but this is so much more pocketable! :lol:

Er, varies really, but it's safe to say it's the best browsing experience out of all the 'next gen' devices due to it's large, high res screen. The Touch HD is gonna be impressive tho from that perspective!

P

Guest andyboo

Hi Paul!

Can you comment on the GPS function of the phone? dose it require to have a 3rd party app for it to work, like tomtom 6? Or dose it come with its own?

Guest Marijnacht

Did you already, or can you try to run Tom Tom on the Xperia.

Because of issues with several other phones (e.g. samsung) with Tom Tom I'm really curios how this works on the X1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.