Charged for EU Data Roaming but I disabled the APN..?

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Hi all.

Just received my T-Mobile bill today, and found charges on it for both mine and my partner's phones (they are on a single account), for EU Data Roaming.

But, as my message to T-Mobile just now might explain, I am at a loss to understand how:

"Dear T-Mobile, My recent bill in today, indicates Roaming Data charges on both mine and my partner's lines (they are both on my account).

However, this is simply physically NOT POSSIBLE, as I wasn't just careful not to use it at all while abroad, I actually DELETED THE NAME OF THE ACCESS POINT in the phone settings, so a connection was IMPOSSIBLE, and confirmed this by testing it whilst still in the UK.

This was done on both our phones.

So how can we have charges for EU Data Roaming, when it was actually Physically Impossible for a connection to be made...?"

For clarification, what I did was manually go into the settings on my phone, and changed the access point name from "general.t-mobile.uk" to something like "JunkPutMeBack"

I then of course tested that it was not possible to make any sort of Internet Connection using the phone.

This being done in the UK before leaving, and only set back a day after getting home.

So anyone got any ideas how I have charges on both our phones for EU Data Roaming,small that they may be, when it was physically not possible for the phone to connect...?

Cheers all.

Guest shadamehr
Maybe an attempted connection somehow gets counted as it might transfer a tiny amount of data?

Are they big charges?

P

Nah, only about a couple of quid each.

So looks like they are trying to claim an attempt to connect, however impossible the result, counts as chargeable. Yeah right.

And alas, it is Symbian, not WinMo.

Guest Neil5459

Are you sure you disabled ALL the connections? Most devices have a WAP connection (My Work Network) set up for the MMS channel to use, as well as the Web connection (My ISP, or Internet)- it may be that something was trying any available connection?

Guest shadamehr
Are you sure you disabled ALL the connections? Most devices have a WAP connection (My Work Network) set up for the MMS channel to use, as well as the Web connection (My ISP, or Internet)- it may be that something was trying any available connection?

Not had WAP connections in phones round here for years.

And no I didn't disable all connections.

Just the internet one.

For clarification, Symbian Devices have an Access Points List/Setting.

In it, there are settings For:

T-Mobile Internet

T-Mobile MMS

T-Zones

...If set up by the device.

Or if set up by Service Message, they are instead named:

web 'n' walk

T-mobile Picture Messaging

T-Zones.

The first thing I ever do on a phone, is simply delete the "T-zones" one altogether as it is poor duplication of the normal internet access point, and doesn't let the Google Gmail java application connect.

So that only leaves an Internet one, and an MMS one.

And the Internet one was renamed, yes. On both devices.

T-Mobile rang me about it on Thursday but I was busy at work, so they promised to call back this morning. And I am still waiting.

We'll see what they say if they call.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadamehr
{snip}

T-Mobile rang me about it on Thursday but I was busy at work, so they promised to call back this morning. And I am still waiting.

We'll see what they say if they call.

Well that was 17th October...

And I am STILL waiting for the Call-back.

Way to go T-Mo.

I'll give them a call myself when I snatch some free time methinks.

Guest Confucious
Well that was 17th October...

And I am STILL waiting for the Call-back.

Way to go T-Mo.

I'll give them a call myself when I snatch some free time methinks.

Unlike T not to call back - I doubt if they'll be able to help tho.

DO uou mean other phones don't have a switch for Data Roaming On/Off like the iPhone does? :lol: