Paul Reviews.... the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest DarkWanderer

Since someone else mentioned the speakers a question occurred to me. Have you tried it with Skype? If so does the sound come out the correct speaker?

Guest schaggo

I've been looking into the X1 as much as I could since early summer. What I still couldnt figure out: how much of the 512mb of ROM is available to the user?

Theres screenshots of an (allegedly) final release Swedish X1 with only 279mb on xda-devs... You cant tell me, the X1 ROM image takes up almost 250mb on the device and leaves only 280 megs, right?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Nice review. :lol:

How much better is the screen on the X1 than the Omnia? Just noticeable or very noticeable? <_>

It's slightly smaller (3" vs 3.2"), but obviously it's a lot higher resolution...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Since someone else mentioned the speakers a question occurred to me. Have you tried it with Skype? If so does the sound come out the correct speaker?

I've not tried it with Skype, but the single mono speaker seems OK...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I've been looking into the X1 as much as I could since early summer. What I still couldnt figure out: how much of the 512mb of ROM is available to the user?

Theres screenshots of an (allegedly) final release Swedish X1 with only 279mb on xda-devs... You cant tell me, the X1 ROM image takes up almost 250mb on the device and leaves only 280 megs, right?

280MB Total Storage...

P

Very useful review Paul. I'm looking for a device that can lock on to the weakest of 3G signals and provide some data throughput. What is the 3G reception like compared with the Omnia and Touch Pro?

Guest MugiMugi

Mine came with 170MB space ( and an 4GB memory card already installed ) when I bought it, granted a lot of the stuff on the phone could be removed, example some 30MB James Bond Trailer.

Guest schaggo

was yours branded, MugiMugi?

Its not that I desperately need that much space, I have several memcards laying around. It was more like a "wtf 512 and half of it is gone..."

But now at least I see why they slotted 512megs in, with only 256mb there wouldnt have been enough space for the 4megs of Opera temporary files and cache... :lol:

Guest pbarclay

Paul,

Thanks for your expert review. Quite fancy getting the Modaco-branded X2 you mentioned - when is is going to be released? :lol:

For the time being, my choice will be between the X1 and the Touch HD - same number of pixels but will the increased screen size of the HD offset the convenience of having a built in keyboard?

I'm sure there are penalties to pay for this for saying this but is the X1 an "iPhone killer"?!?! I edit Word documents and Excel all the time on my PDA so I need a WinMo device. However, I would like my next PDA to be able to browse the internet as effortlessly as my son's iPod Touch. It does make my Touch Dual's QVGA screen seem very puny by comparison.

Does a 3.0" screen make the most of all those pixels? It wasn't too long ago that our £1500 PC came with a 15" screen that ran at 800 x 600 resolution (o.k., it was probably in 1992 on a 33 MHz 386 DX processor with 4MB of RAM and a 100 MB hard drive, but you get my point). The Touch HD screen is about 60% larger in area (14.44/9=1.60), which should make for a better internet viewing experience.

Let battle commence next month!

Guest Coolhorn

Paul,

So you can confirm that SE is actually including the 1700 3G frequency? I've seen a lot of conflicting reports on this, but most recently that it was NOT going to be supported...which was sad news for me as a T-Mobile user. But if it will be available after all, I might be a happy camper again... :lol:

Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Very useful review Paul. I'm looking for a device that can lock on to the weakest of 3G signals and provide some data throughput. What is the 3G reception like compared with the Omnia and Touch Pro?

Unfortunately I live in a 2G area, and although I have used the X1 on 3G etc. when commuting to London, I couldn't really provide a good comparison on 3G reception. I might take a few devices into the city this week tho and compare... :lol:

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

Thanks for your expert review. Quite fancy getting the Modaco-branded X2 you mentioned - when is is going to be released? :lol:

For the time being, my choice will be between the X1 and the Touch HD - same number of pixels but will the increased screen size of the HD offset the convenience of having a built in keyboard?

I'm sure there are penalties to pay for this for saying this but is the X1 an "iPhone killer"?!?! I edit Word documents and Excel all the time on my PDA so I need a WinMo device. However, I would like my next PDA to be able to browse the internet as effortlessly as my son's iPod Touch. It does make my Touch Dual's QVGA screen seem very puny by comparison.

Does a 3.0" screen make the most of all those pixels? It wasn't too long ago that our £1500 PC came with a 15" screen that ran at 800 x 600 resolution (o.k., it was probably in 1992 on a 33 MHz 386 DX processor with 4MB of RAM and a 100 MB hard drive, but you get my point). The Touch HD screen is about 60% larger in area (14.44/9=1.60), which should make for a better internet viewing experience.

Let battle commence next month!

iPhone killer isn't really a relevant comparison... the Touch HD will be the iPhone killer (if any WinMo device can?)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

So you can confirm that SE is actually including the 1700 3G frequency? I've seen a lot of conflicting reports on this, but most recently that it was NOT going to be supported...which was sad news for me as a T-Mobile user. But if it will be available after all, I might be a happy camper again... :lol:

Thanks!

The X1A will, the X1i doesn't. You will be looked after on T-Mo US... :D

P

Great review. My mind is still between X1 and touch HD and don't know what to choose really. Keyboard ... I don't mind but i'm doing quite well on 3rd part keyboards (resco) on my diamond and think on touch HD with its screen experience will be great. So keyboard doesn't really convince me and as you've mentioned has some cons. One more thing about HD is its ... htc which is far better in WM than SE and Dutty's gonna have one which means great and ultrafast roms (my diamond on dutty's v2.6 is desire for my friend who has an omnia, we were playing with both ... he even made me an offer :lol: )

Paul: X1 is compared to touch pro all the time but what do you think about battle x1 vs HD. I'd be very happy to know your opinion.

Guest theroadwarrior

Thanks for the review Paul, looks very interesting- making me lean towards this rather than the touch pro

however.....

You say the keyboard doesnt have any arrow keys?? This seems crazy to me- so you press the hardware button for the start menu, and then have to go all the way up and click on the screen! For how i use my vario i think i'd find that really annoying, but perhaps with a bigger screen.. i dunno

Guest Paul (MVP)
Thanks for the review Paul, looks very interesting- making me lean towards this rather than the touch pro

however.....

You say the keyboard doesnt have any arrow keys?? This seems crazy to me- so you press the hardware button for the start menu, and then have to go all the way up and click on the screen! For how i use my vario i think i'd find that really annoying, but perhaps with a bigger screen.. i dunno

You could use the dpad...

P

You could use the dpad...

P

Which you've already told us doesn't work. I'm still on my e650 but have to agree, the lack of arrow keys does seem wholly stupid. Perhaps I'm missing something with the touch screen...

I'd be very interested in the HD vs X1 question above as that's what my choice is down to at the moment.

Guest robertchinneck

Does this unbranded version come with Windows Live for Windows Mobile?

I just got a T-Mobile Compact IV and was really annoyed that their customized install does not include any Live components (- I rely on Live on any Windows Mobile device to sync my Contacts).

Thanks,

Rob.

Guest Simon Desser
2. No, it has no nice onscreen input methods, although the ones from the Diamond / Touch Pro can be installed without much fuss...

P

Paul, could you point me in the right direction of a working Diamond on screen keyboard cab, the ones I've tried from xda-developers don't display properly on the X1 ?

Cheers.

Now that you've had the X1 for a couple of weeks how does the battery hold up?

I'd be looking for 2 hours of calls per day, 10 - 20 texts, 1 - 2 hrs of internet via 3G, and pushmail during business hours.

Do you think the X1 would be able to deal with that?

I really want to switch back to WinMob from Nokia but I cannot find the right device!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.