GPS on Orange Omnia (personal version)

Guest JTHM

Guest Larnsky
Folks

Orange have disabled the GPS on their personal (non-business) version of the Omnia.

What is the process for getting it working?

Many thanks!

I have an Omnia with Orange and My GPS doesn't seem to be disabled, have you tried it with Google Maps?

Folks

Orange have disabled the GPS on their personal (non-business) version of the Omnia.

What is the process for getting it working?

Many thanks!

Don't think this is the case. Lots of omnia users GPS are working fine??

What apps have you tried using GPS with?

Don't think this is the case. Lots of omnia users GPS are working fine??

What apps have you tried using GPS with?

Hi, thanks for replying

I haven't tried using any apps with it yet - only got it on Saturday! ...it's just that there are is no settings icon I can find for it, there a number of posts where people have said this and I now find Orange don't list it as a feature in the specs of their personal version of the phone whereas they do for the business version.

Do you have a settings icon for GPS?

Is Google Maps readily available for download as it's certainly not pre-installed.

Cheers!

Guest JonRushton
Hi, thanks for replying

I haven't tried using any apps with it yet - only got it on Saturday! ...it's just that there are is no settings icon I can find for it, there a number of posts where people have said this and I now find Orange don't list it as a feature in the specs of their personal version of the phone whereas they do for the business version.

Do you have a settings icon for GPS?

Is Google Maps readily available for download as it's certainly not pre-installed.

Cheers!

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps/index.html

Download from there, or goto http://www.google.com/gmm on your phone and i think it auto detects what your connecting with.

The icons should be in Start > Settings > Personal > External GPS

Start > Settings > System > Enhanced GPS

Hope that helps!

Guest isnips909

I have a 16gb model on Orange and can confirm that the enhanched GPS setting is not available on Oranges flavour of the firmware. This is not to say that the GPS doesn't work as i have been abe to conect with Google maps. The enhanced GPS allows the phone to use GPS as well as the internet to find satelite positions thus making it quicker to connect. I believe that rather than Orange giving you the option it is programmed as always on. I was having to disconnect my GPRS and internet to get it to work without paying the data charges. I have this weekend installed HH1 and thank the lord it no longer has Orange anywhere and hae the enhanced GPS option. The irremovable Orange theme was doing my head in!

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps/index.html

Download from there, or goto http://www.google.com/gmm on your phone and i think it auto detects what your connecting with.

The icons should be in Start > Settings > Personal > External GPS

Start > Settings > System > Enhanced GPS

Hope that helps!

I have a 16gb model on Orange and can confirm that the enhanched GPS setting is not available on Oranges flavour of the firmware. This is not to say that the GPS doesn't work as i have been abe to conect with Google maps. The enhanced GPS allows the phone to use GPS as well as the internet to find satelite positions thus making it quicker to connect. I believe that rather than Orange giving you the option it is programmed as always on. I was having to disconnect my GPRS and internet to get it to work without paying the data charges. I have this weekend installed HH1 and thank the lord it no longer has Orange anywhere and hae the enhanced GPS option. The irremovable Orange theme was doing my head in!

Cool! I'll d/l & install Google Maps tonight and see where we get to. I have found the External GPS icon but as I also have this on my old Hermes which isn't GPS enabled in any way I assumed it was for setting up an external GPS receiver. Is it already configured correctly or do I have to tweak? What tweakings should I make?

Thanks!

Yup - it's all good news! I was all disappointed and expecting the worst over nothing. In fact it all seems to work like a charm so now I'm a happy bunny.

Thanks for your help!