3 network

Guest johnyysmith

Guest johnyysmith

Went over to Belguim/France a couple of weeks ago. My Tytn II worked fine and registered with a local service. Since I got back its been behaving loopy. Switched locale automatically a couple of times and thought it was in Windhoek (Namibia?) amongst others. Then I noticed the date had changed to 2050. Been ok for a week then suddenly I can't connect to the 3 Network. Phoned their helpline (India!) and was told they had upgraded their networks and PAYG sim cards will now only work with 3 handsets - which sounds like a load of bull

Have shut down, removed sim card and battery, restarted with no luck. Checked registry and re checked settings with no luck. Have not hard reset yet - and don't really want to unless I really have to. Any ideas would be very welcome

Edited by johnyysmith

Guest awarner (MVP)
I can't connect to the 3 Network. Phoned their helpline (India!) and was told they had upgraded their networks and PAYG sim cards will now only work with 3 handsets - which sounds like a load of bull

It is possible the same way they have blocked other devices in the past. Unfortunately the (for use of a better word) "help line" in India is completely useless, they tried to tell me I could not access my account on my home PC because my local mobile transmitter was out of action :lol: I also had a full signal at the time they were telling me this load of...

£ mobiles help line is the only thing that stops me porting my main number over.

Guest johnyysmith
It is possible the same way they have blocked other devices in the past. Unfortunately the (for use of a better word) "help line" in India is completely useless, they tried to tell me I could not access my account on my home PC because my local mobile transmitter was out of action :lol: I also had a full signal at the time they were telling me this load of...

£ mobiles help line is the only thing that stops me porting my main number over.

Whats £ mobiles? And if I have to go to another supplier of payg cards I can transfer my existing number?

Can anyone else with a non 3 handset using payg confirm whether they have been cut off?

Meanwhile I am appalled at the suggestion that 3 would simply cut off non 3 handsets. I have £13 of credit on that card. Ok not a big number, but that would mean they were stealing my credit and breaking the contract I have with them. Wish I was a lawyer :D

Edited by johnyysmith

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnyysmith

Update - yes I have been cut off by 3 because I am not using one of their payg handsets. Very helpful chap asked me if I would like to buy one B)

Tried the phone with other network sim cards without luck and even left it with a local repairer without luck (and no charge). They changed the rom to one of Duttys, which I was not too happy about. So I thought I would use a rom for the O2 network as I had one of their sim cards. But I got inquisitive about why I could choose a network, which suggested the radio was working, but could not connect. The answer appears to be to select gsm manually rather than leaving it on auto. I'm now a happy O2 customer and hope this helps anyone else having a problem

Edited by johnyysmith

Guest johnyysmith

So now I have had my old number transferred. But my phone still shows the old number in Settings>Phone.

Will this change automatically after a while or do I have to do something? I have rebooted, removed battery and sim card but it still shows the newer number. But accepts calls on the old number.

Guest pswillies

I've been using a Kaiser on Three PAYG for 6 months or so and haven't yet had any problems. My other half uses a Diamond, also with no issues.

Three advertise the fact that you can use your non-Three phone with their PAYG SIM on the website... http://www.three.co.uk/personal/price_plan...o_/sim_only.omp

I would be *seriously* hacked off if Three did something like that that, as I suspect would an awful lot of other people.

B)

Guest Neil5459
Update - yes I have been cut off by 3 because I am not using one of their payg handsets. Very helpful chap asked me if I would like to buy one B)

That may depend on the type of non-3 phone. You can use other operators 3G phones on the 3 network (as linked by pswillies above) but you can't use any non 3G phone, (or 3G phone constrained to GSM) as 3 have to pay Orange or O2 for all standard GSM usage.

johnyysmith- during your TyTnII's fit of problems, could the Phone Network band have been changed from Auto to GSM? If so, it will report itself as a 2G handset, and therefore be disallowed on the 3 network?

Guest johnyysmith

I changed nothing on the phone until after I was unable to get connect on the 3 network. It was confirmed to me by both the local 3 outlet, and the helpline (india) that only 3 handsets could now be used. I have written to 3 asking for my credit to be refunded - any bets?

Changing the Phone>Band>Network Type to GSM instead of auto was the only way I could connect on the O2 network. I just changed it back to auto and voila it works. (edit - intially worked showing H as the 'connection type (?) but I have had to change it back to GSM as it lost contact with network again

But the phone number change has worked, except the phone still thinks its number is the one that came with the new sim card

Edited by johnyysmith

I using two 3 PAYG sims at the moment. One is in a 3G handset, an O2 Graphite. The other is in my carphone, a 2G handset. This has been working fine, but I got a SMS from 3 about a month ago saying that 'this sim will stop working in this handset after 25th November' (not exactly sure of the date, have to check when back in the car). I got a second text yesterday warning me again that it would stop working. I have not received this text on my other handset, which has 3G. Also if you set the handset to just 3G, you will loose connection most of the time as the coverage is so poor and the handset will not revert to 2G if reception is lost.