Looking for Jogging/Running GPS Applications

Guest nollie

Are there any recommended PPC applications which use GPS of the Omnia for tracking speed/distance for workouts and runs? Preferably with mapping, compatible with Google Maps but I am very much interested to see what the Omnia can do.

Great application, just used it and uploaded to the web.

Is there a way to preview my runs on the phone on a map, or even preview a route online/in Google Earth showing speed?

Are there any recommended PPC applications which use GPS of the Omnia for tracking speed/distance for workouts and runs? Preferably with mapping, compatible with Google Maps but I am very much interested to see what the Omnia can do.

Hi Nollie,

I use run.gps from eSymetric.

Guest mj_blue
Great application, just used it and uploaded to the web.

Is there a way to preview my runs on the phone on a map, or even preview a route online/in Google Earth showing speed?

I don't think t can do spped.. you just have to work it out base and distance and time taken..

Sportsdo does everything you will cost £25.. it's meant to be well worth it if you are serious

Mark

• 8 months later...
Guest liksur

If someone is still reading this topic, I have a nice application exactly for your needs

Sportypal

Is an easy to use application that uses the GPS function on your mobile phone to track your movement during your training (running, cycling, walking or similar activity). Sportypal will log your performance and present a summary of your workout with a map of where you went. Once you finish the exercise using the data connection on your phone, you can post the workout immediately to the SportyPal webiste. Once the workout is posted you can head over to your computer and see the route you just covered as well as more detailed data. Here you can take a look at mine run:

picture11r.png

Guest necosino

SportyPal is by far the best app for this! Jogging, biking, freestyle, even roller blading!

I just tried it out :)

You can even create goals, share over myspace, facebook and twitter, and invite others to join! Challenge your friends!!! lol..

Anyone in upstate NY want to give it a shot to see who can win? Chances are you, 'cause I'm a fatty ;)

Edited by necosino

Guest Mastertwiz

+1 Run.GPS Pro - Best Activity/ GPS Software out there. I've logged 200+ miles on my online sports page and the generated trails can be exported to Google Earth. No doubt... RUN.GPS

Guest Soundy

I'm looking at the Run.GPS website and it looks pretty slick. I'm mainly using GPSed though; I tried a number of different freeware, shareware and commercial/demo apps for tracking our bike riding and wanted geotagging capability as well, and found all of them to be either complex, clunky, or just plain buggy. GPSed worked great right from the start and was dead simple to use. I love the integration with Google Maps and the ability to interface geotagging directly with my Picasa account. The ability to update my Facebook/MySpace/Blogger/Twitter status was an added bonus. I even paid the $10 to register it just to show my support (the added little extras were cool too, but not the main reason).

I'd recommend giving GPSed a solid look - it's completely free, as is the account on their site, so there's nothing to lose :)

Guest AkWngnut

Sorry but can I ask for those that use their Omnias' for running, are you using the included adapter for headphones or are you using the bluetooth feature? I have an i900 and use the Motorola SD-9HD headset and so since i sweat I have ruined the bluetooth headset. Motorola replaced them which was nice, but still the reception isnt really good, anyone else have a problem with that?

-AkWingnut

Guest Tim-H
Sorry but can I ask for those that use their Omnias' for running, are you using the included adapter for headphones or are you using the bluetooth feature? I have an i900 and use the Motorola SD-9HD headset and so since i sweat I have ruined the bluetooth headset. Motorola replaced them which was nice, but still the reception isnt really good, anyone else have a problem with that?

-AkWingnut

I have THIS. Put the chain on for workouts and it comes with a belt clip I use at work. Don't have to worry about breaking the headphones because you can plug any 3.5mm into them. Sounds great, no reception problems and the battery lasts for 7 hours on full charge.

On topic. Sportypal looks great. I'm going to have to test that out. Just want to ask though if it still logs data when the screen is off. A few other programs I've tried don't.

Guest necosino
I have THIS. Put the chain on for workouts and it comes with a belt clip I use at work. Don't have to worry about breaking the headphones because you can plug any 3.5mm into them. Sounds great, no reception problems and the battery lasts for 7 hours on full charge.

On topic. Sportypal looks great. I'm going to have to test that out. Just want to ask though if it still logs data when the screen is off. A few other programs I've tried don't.

If you let the screen turn off itself, yes. If you hit the power button to turn the screen off it puts the phone in stand-bye, and will stop logging.

Guest liksur
If you let the screen turn off itself, yes. If you hit the power button to turn the screen off it puts the phone in stand-bye, and will stop logging.

It might also loose the gps signal, try downloading the latest version of sportypal or just change the settings not to go in stand-by mode

Guest necosino

SportyPal has its own screen management program that turns the screen off but doesn't put the phone in standbye so that you don't have to worry about that sort of thing happening :) I've been using it for about a week now and I'm loving it ;)

Guest liksur
SportyPal has its own screen management program that turns the screen off but doesn't put the phone in standbye so that you don't have to worry about that sort of thing happening :) I've been using it for about a week now and I'm loving it ;)

That's cool I didn't know about that.

Guest nollie

Out of interest how do you all run with your Omnia? Do you have an arm band? I tried going out running with the phone in hand, which the only real problem I have is that I'm running with an MP3 player in the other hand (Omnia's player is far too fiddly, requires 3.5mm adapter). Also I don't particularly like the idea of my phone being covered in sweat...

So do you use an arm band or anything similar? Could you provide any links to what you use?

Also that Jabra BT3030 looks quite interesting - what windows mobile music player is it compatible with, or generally all of them?

Edited by nollie

Also that Jabra BT3030 looks quite interesting - what windows mobile music player is it compatible with, or generally all of them?

Works with WMP, Core player and touch player. Does not work with TCPMP. Not sure about nitrogen I can test that later though.

Guest nollie

Thanks. I've just been giving SportyPal a try today out on the bike and I can't really fault it. Compared to all the other applications I've tried it is far less fiddly, with a very slick looking interface.

I think a decent set-up now would be:

Omnia in a sport band, running SportyPal and WMP (on shuffle)

Jabra BT3030 in hand with loopie earphones

Guest weirdo
Thanks. I've just been giving SportyPal a try today out on the bike and I can't really fault it. Compared to all the other applications I've tried it is far less fiddly, with a very slick looking interface.

dont run to long wth that setup your batteriesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

lol i like sportypal good looking i walked 6 hours started with full baterie after 6 hours 20 procent left

dont run to long wth that setup your batteriesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

lol i like sportypal good looking i walked 6 hours started with full baterie after 6 hours 20 procent left

It's accessing the gps reciever constantly. Thats a pretty reasonable time I think. If you are out for longer you might want to look in to the extended battery, or a spare normal one.

Guest Genius1121

I kinda like that idea too... let me know if it works. then i can still use my Senheiser running headphones while running. up till now ive been using my omnia w/ sportypal and use my nano for music.