Turn off that Damn Proxy

Guest Jasoninaz

Guest Jasoninaz

I use my phone a lot but the data was killing me not the cost but the slowness. wireless.cingular.com:80 is what kills us all (at least here in the states) I thought to myself, what is a proxy but a way to look at traffic? Right? OK, I turned it off, and now I use Skype and Fring more than I use voice.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\Cingular WAP]

Enable: From 1 to 0

Readyonly: From 1 to 0

reboot

You have to do the band selection hack to really make it work well but no more proxy for me.

Enable band selection:

1. Go to Home Screen

2. Type *#1546792*# and then send

3. You will see new screen that indicates that Band

Selection was enabled

4. Now you can go to Settings/Phone/Network/Band

Selection

Guest johnboy12
I use my phone a lot but the data was killing me not the cost but the slowness. wireless.cingular.com:80 is what kills us all (at least here in the states) I thought to myself, what is a proxy but a way to look at traffic? Right? OK, I turned it off, and now I use Skype and Fring more than I use voice.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\Cingular WAP]

reboot

You have to do the band selection hack to really make it work well but no more proxy for me.

Enable band selection:

1. Go to Home Screen

Selection was enabled

Selection

How do you use skype and fring???CAn you explain/elaborate?

• 6 months later...
Guest bmn4711

reboot

Enable band selection:

1. Go to Home Screen

Selection was enabled

Selection

This is killing my web browsing through the phone "Could not establish network connection." Any way around this?

Guest AnothrNmbr
This is killing my web browsing through the phone "Could not establish network connection." Any way around this?

After I applied this registry change I was also unable to browse using opera. I need to go into the menu > tools > settings > connections and in the Select Network dropdown I had to switch from "WAP Network" (i think this is the proxy we just disabled) to "The Internet" (which I assume just means a direct, proxyless internet connection).

ji

• 4 months later...
Guest Sathanvs

Enable band selection:

1. Go to Home Screen

Selection was enabled

Selection

What does the band select hack assist in?

Edited by Sathanvs