►► Permanent GPS fix for Samsung i900 & i8000 Omnia ◄◄

Guest Junoman

Guest jh787
Thanks.

My phone takes long time to fix GPS after a re-set? Some times it takes up to 1 hour!!! Then, it will catch signals soon. However if i have to re-set it again, it will take similar time to fix GPS again. :P

How is yours?

cheers'

J.

Mine does take slightly longer after a reset but it increases by seconds not hours!

I have just reset my omnia and held it up by the window and got a fix in 1minute 40 secs.

I live in a terraced street with houses directly opposite so i dont have the best view of the sky from my window either.

have you tried typing in *#1472365#

Go into settings\gps and make sure it is in standalone mode and set to hotstart.

Check your horizontalaccuracy\vaccuracy\qopdelay and refresh rate while you are there and adjust them as explained earlier.

Also reducing the sleeponnodata and retrywaitonerror to 0 made a major difference to lock times for me.

Are you actually seeing any sats?

type in *#1472365# go into menu\views\ and click on "satellites info"

then go back into menu and click "get position"

You will get a page with number of sats and the signal strength from each.

I get the first lock after at least 4 sats get around 20dB.

Edited by jh787

Guest jh787

Come on people

So many views since i posted this tip and hardly any feedback????

Are you not trying it \is it not working\is it working?

Help the others having probs by posting your experiences

Guest AndyHamp
Come on people

I've been frustrated by having to use TomTom with GPSProxy since i got my I8000... your settings have fixed this for me.

How that for feedback :P

Can i suggest that you create a CAB file or REG file and attach it to the post, or even better get it added to the main Hint/Tips FAQ. Or added to the I8000 topics ...

Andy

Edited by AndyHamp

Guest jh787
I've been frustrated by having to use TomTom with GPSProxy since i got my I8000... your settings have fixed this for me.

How that for feedback :P

Can i suggest that you create a CAB file or REG file and attach it to the post, or even better get it added to the main Hint/Tips FAQ. Or added to the I8000 topics ...

Andy

that is excellent news.wish I knew how to make cabs.will try and google it later.I will back up the registry entries and post them for those that would like to just copy them instead of manually typing in

Guest Junoman
I use this with spot on accuracy and immediate fix.

Can you please tell me what your vaccuracy/horizontal accuracy/max locationage/refreshrate/responsetime/qop delay settings are.

These are the main settings i played with to pinpoint the accuracy problems.

Here are my registry settings for gps and xtra settings in "nogarder gps"

Please bear in mind that i am on an unlimited data package so i download extra data every hour (can't do no harm)

if you do not want to download data please change the xtra download settings to 0

If you would prefer me to post or email a back up of the relevant registry keys using resco so you can just copy into registry then post or drop me a pm

Follow up to my previous post; I presume we use (mine i900) two different types of omnias. Therefore, I have noticed few of the registry files in yours (as shown in some of the folders) are not existing in mine.

But i can confirm that *#1472365# works with i900, and settings\gps; is in standalone mode and set to hotstart by default (in mine).

J.

Guest jh787
Follow up to my previous post; I presume we use (mine i900) two different types of omnias. Therefore, I have noticed few of the registry files in yours (as shown in some of the folders) are not existing in mine.

But i can confirm that *#1472365# works with i900, and settings\gps; is in standalone mode and set to hotstart by default (in mine).

J.

I am using i8000.

Dont worry about extra registry entries as they were created when i changed my mode from standalone to ms assisted\msbased.

I have backed up my registry entries and posted them to my original post (95).

Copy these and overwrite your original.

Have you checked to see if you are actually seeing any sats using the method described in my last post?

Please do this and get back to me so the problem can be pinpointed to lack of reception quality or no sight of sats.

**I have updated post 95 in this thread with my registry settings for intermediate driver and hklm\software\ril\gps**

Edited by jh787

Guest Junoman
I am using i8000.

Dont worry about extra registry entries as they were created when i changed my mode from standalone to ms assisted\msbased.

I have backed up my registry entries and posted them to my original post (95).

Copy these and overwrite your original.

Have you checked to see if you are actually seeing any sats using the method described in my last post?

Please do this and get back to me so the problem can be pinpointed to lack of reception quality or no sight of sats.

**I have updated post 95 in this thread with my registry settings for intermediate driver and hklm\software\ril\gps**

Latest up dates; (works fine with TomTom on i900 omnia) - NB: Please back up your original registry settings before try this

1. Make sure Omnia's External GPS settings as on defaults;

- GPS program port = COM3

- GPS Hardware port = COM9 and Bud rate = 4800

- Manage GPS Automatically

2. Extra data injection through Enhanced GPS

3. Here are registry editings

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\InputBufferSize: set from 4096 to 512

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\OutputBufferSize: set from 4096 to 512

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\SleepOnNoData: set from 100 to 0

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\RetryWaitOnError: set from 1000 to 0

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\MaxBufferSize: set from 16384 to 1024

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS\Accuracy set from 19 to 1

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS\QOPDelay set from 12 to 1

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS\RefreshRate set to 1 (default)

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS\VAccuracy set from 0 to 1

4. Soft reset

5. Get GPS fixed within quick 30 -90 seconds, even after soft re-set! :P I just done a test drive; GPS flow is continuous.

Once again it is reminded you to back up your original registry settings before try this.

Finally DO NOT forget to post your feed back please as we need to improve it further!! :(

Thanks

J.

Edited by Junoman

Guest jh787
Latest up dates; (works fine with TomTom on i900 omnia) - NB: Please back up your original registry settings before try this

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\InputBufferSize: set from 4096 to 512

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\OutputBufferSize: set from 4096 to 512

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\SleepOnNoData: set from 100 to 0

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\RetryWaitOnError: set from 1000 to 0

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\MaxBufferSize: set from 16384 to 1024

4. Soft reset

5. Get GPS fixed within quick 30 -90 seconds, even after soft re-set! :P I just done a test drive; GPS flow is continuous.

Once again it is reminded you to back up your original registry settings before try this.

Finally DO NOT forget to post your feed back please as we need to improve it further!! :(

Thanks

J.

Thats great stuff.

Glad you got it sorted .

Guest Junoman
Thats great stuff.

Glad you got it sorted .

Still I want to try this in streets where tall buildingst (concrete jungles) are in eigther sides because it tends to wiggle! :P

Many thanks to you :(

Edited by Junoman

Guest jh787

No problem.

The next phase you will no doubt go through is Standing next to the window every 15mins to check if it still works.

I know i did :P

Guest Junoman
No problem.

The next phase you will no doubt go through is Standing next to the window every 15mins to check if it still works.

I know i did :(

Of course, whole this morning itself!! Others at home looking wonder whether I have fallen in live with that window. :P :(

Cheers'

J

Guest yugoport
Thanks.

My phone takes long time to fix GPS after a re-set? Some times it takes up to 1 hour!!! Then, it will catch signals soon. However if i have to re-set it again, it will take similar time to fix GPS again. :P

How is yours?

cheers'

J.

after the reg tweak, everytime i reset it it will took like 10 min too fix,it worked okay, but always with poor reception, it will show me 4 or 5 blue sattelites always jump from one to another, no consistent reception.. so i installed gps mod driver 2.30, couldn´t get it to work,no signal at all, so i removed it and restored my register.. but after that i don´t have any gps signal, seams dead, i guess i will have to hard reset my phone :(

now i´m using my cheap bluetooth gps reciever, that works way way better than my omnia..

Guest yugoport
Come on people

thanks a lot for your work, i´m having a problem, i have installed gps mod driver and it killed my gps, no signal at all, i think i have to hard reset it, probably next week i will hard reset my omnia and will test your settings and let you know..

in the mean time i´m still working to get my gps back, any tip would be highky apreciated..

Guest jh787
thanks a lot for your work, i´m having a problem, i have installed gps mod driver and it killed my gps, no signal at all, i think i have to hard reset it, probably next week i will hard reset my omnia and will test your settings and let you know..

in the mean time i´m still working to get my gps back, any tip would be highky apreciated..

sorry to hear you are having problems.

which tweak did you use?

the one I posted or the updated version by junoman?

does the*# 1472365# code work on your phone?

what com are you using?

I know the mod driver changes the gps port to 2.

try this port in tom tom.

I think you should download the registry settings I posted earlier and install just the intermediate driver key and then get back to us.

Guest Junoman
after the reg tweak, everytime i reset it it will took like 10 min too fix,it worked okay, but always with poor reception, it will show me 4 or 5 blue sattelites always jump from one to another, no consistent reception.. so i installed gps mod driver 2.30, couldn´t get it to work,no signal at all, so i removed it and restored my register.. but after that i don´t have any gps signal, seams dead, i guess i will have to hard reset my phone :P

now i´m using my cheap bluetooth gps reciever, that works way way better than my omnia..

What's your model? If it's i900 omnia try registry tweaks as mentioned in post 107 or the first post (up-dated now) :(

I am sure you wont get disappoint or regret! It works like a charm and get GPS fix within 2 minutes for me! Goodluck

J.

Edited by Junoman

Guest yugoport
sorry to hear you are having problems.

which tweak did you use?

the one I posted or the updated version by junoman?

does the*# 1472365# code work on your phone?

what com are you using?

I know the mod driver changes the gps port to 2.

try this port in tom tom.

I think you should download the registry settings I posted earlier and install just the intermediate driver key and then get back to us.

you missunderstood me, after the reg tweak that was in post 1 the gps worked better than before, but when i was driving in the midle of the city, where there are lots of buildings the signal was very low and innacurate, then i deleted inputbuffer and outputbuffer, the gps reception improved but lost all his accuracy.. then tried gpsmoddriver.cab that killed my gps, now i´m using your reg values too see if i can save my gps, otherwise i will have to hard reset it..the*# 1472365# works in my phone, nice applicattion.. sorry for my english..

thanks

Guest jh787
you missunderstood me, after the reg tweak that was in post 1 the gps worked better than before, but when i was driving in the midle of the city, where there are lots of buildings the signal was very low and innacurate, then i deleted inputbuffer and outputbuffer, the gps reception improved but lost all his accuracy.. then tried gpsmoddriver.cab that killed my gps, now i´m using your reg values too see if i can save my gps, otherwise i will have to hard reset it..the*# 1472365# works in my phone, nice applicattion.. sorry for my english..

thanks

OK. ensure you soft reset after loading registry settings.

Type in *#1472365# go to menu\settings\gps and ensure values are as follows

gpsmode= standalone

startmode = hotstart

sessiontype = navigation press ok to close

then go to menu\settings\qos

ensure values are horizotal accuracy = 1 vertical accuracy =1 responsetime in seconds = 0 qop delay = 0 max location age =0

click ok and soft reset.

Then go back into *#1472365# press menu\views\satellitesinfo then press menu\getposition

Are there any sats in view? What dB level are they at?

Edited by jh787

Guest Junoman

Hello jh787

What will make the dB further improve?

At the same better if you could post the registry edit procedure for i8000 step by step as mentioned in post 1. Then which i can incoporate there.

Cheers'

J.

Edited by Junoman

Guest jh787

hello Junoman

As i mentioned in one of my earlier posts i dont exactly know what all the settings mean and it was just a case of trial and error to find the best configuration.

As far as dB level is concerned it helped me narrow down the problem when i was in the situation where all other apps (O2 compass,geotagging,googlemaps,Igo8) would work fine with GPS but Tomtom refused to lock on and was "still waiting for a valid GPS signal". it seemed as though it wanted a more higher quality signal before it used it. This is when i decided to delete the buffers so that all information from GPS receiver would go straight to TomTom and not wait around in a buffer where it would get out of date and not be usable by tomtom.

The method i used is different to the one you used. IE I deleted all buffers including the max buffer whereas you kept your buffers but reduced them in size.

I am tempted to try and put the buffer keys back in and use your settings for experimental purposes. If i get a chance i will do so and post any results.

The method used for i8000 is exactly the same as your phone so i think it will be neater if you just incorporated both phones under the same header.

What you might want to add to the first post is that if people do not have any success reducing buffers thenthey should try and delete the buffers (AFTER BACKUP OF COURSE)

I say this because there are many posts where people have reduced the buffers to various sizes(I tried all of them) and it worked for some and not for others(some sizes helped with me but were not consistent).

I think your settings on page 1 will suffice for most.

You may also like to add to your first post the recommendation that if the registry does not contain strings such as Refreshrate,responsetime,etc they should be created because if i remember correctly mine didn't have them at first but were created when i used *#1472365# and some users have not got the nogarder gps on their Omnia.

On a seperate note how is your accuracy in gps?

I am very happy with mine. I used igo8 to test and walked down the street, as i walked past door number 148 it said 148 and i was walking past 150 it said 150 etc

tomtom has split second lag as you pass roads but that is expected given processing time etc

Guest Junoman
hello Junoman

As i mentioned in one of my earlier posts i dont exactly know what all the settings mean and it was just a case of trial and error to find the best configuration.

As far as dB level is concerned it helped me narrow down the problem when i was in the situation where all other apps (O2 compass,geotagging,googlemaps,Igo8) would work fine with GPS but Tomtom refused to lock on and was "still waiting for a valid GPS signal". it seemed as though it wanted a more higher quality signal before it used it. This is when i decided to delete the buffers so that all information from GPS receiver would go straight to TomTom and not wait around in a buffer where it would get out of date and not be usable by tomtom.

The method i used is different to the one you used. IE I deleted all buffers including the max buffer whereas you kept your buffers but reduced them in size.

I am tempted to try and put the buffer keys back in and use your settings for experimental purposes. If i get a chance i will do so and post any results.

The method used for i8000 is exactly the same as your phone so i think it will be neater if you just incorporated both phones under the same header.

What you might want to add to the first post is that if people do not have any success reducing buffers thenthey should try and delete the buffers (AFTER BACKUP OF COURSE)

I say this because there are many posts where people have reduced the buffers to various sizes(I tried all of them) and it worked for some and not for others(some sizes helped with me but were not consistent).

I think your settings on page 1 will suffice for most.

You may also like to add to your first post the recommendation that if the registry does not contain strings such as Refreshrate,responsetime,etc they should be created because if i remember correctly mine didn't have them at first but were created when i used *#1472365# and some users have not got the nogarder gps on their Omnia.

On a seperate note how is your accuracy in gps?

I am very happy with mine. I used igo8 to test and walked down the street, as i walked past door number 148 it said 148 and i was walking past 150 it said 150 etc

tomtom has split second lag as you pass roads but that is expected given processing time etc

Thanks a lot for your informative stuff and i have up-dated the topic and the first post accordingly. Let me know if you need to ammend it further please.

Accuracy seems all right for me, as I mentioned early I need to check it in a cocrete desert soon. But still i do need to improve the fixing time after a re-set.

J.

Guest leon0000
after the reg tweak, everytime i reset it it will took like 10 min too fix,it worked okay, but always with poor reception, it will show me 4 or 5 blue sattelites always jump from one to another, no consistent reception.. so i installed gps mod driver 2.30, couldn´t get it to work,no signal at all, so i removed it and restored my register.. but after that i don´t have any gps signal, seams dead, i guess i will have to hard reset my phone ;)

Gps Mod Driver works great in my i900, first fix always less than 2min after soft restart, if you new to the Gps Mod Driver, I suggest that you install 1.39, then try new 2.30. read carefully on this topic http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...sgate-for-i900/

I also did the reg tweaks, but without change the SleepOnNoData: set from 100 to 0. I got two i900 (me and my wife) and three i8000 (friends), they all works great. you just need to try harder.

GpsModDriver_1.39.zip

Guest yugoport
Gps Mod Driver works great in my i900, first fix always less than 2min after soft restart, if you new to the Gps Mod Driver, I suggest that you install 1.39, then try new 2.30. read carefully on this topic http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...sgate-for-i900/

I also did the reg tweaks, but without change the SleepOnNoData: set from 100 to 0. I got two i900 (me and my wife) and three i8000 (friends), they all works great. you just need to try harder.

thanks a lot, i will give it a try, i did the last reg tweaks and my gps is back from the deads.. looks like its reception is now very good, 4/5 bars in tomtom, 6-8 satellites with 20-30 db of reception.. the reg and nogarder tweaks are working very well, i still need to test them in the middle of the city, tiny roads between huge buildings, thats where normally it fails.. i felt that with gps mod driver tomtom becomes laggy.. you didn´t feel that in your phone?

Edited by yugoport

Guest yugoport
OK. ensure you soft reset after loading registry settings.

Type in *#1472365# go to menu\settings\gps and ensure values are as follows

gpsmode= standalone

startmode = hotstart

sessiontype = navigation press ok to close

then go to menu\settings\qos

ensure values are horizotal accuracy = 1 vertical accuracy =1 responsetime in seconds = 0 qop delay = 0 max location age =0

click ok and soft reset.

Then go back into *#1472365# press menu\views\satellitesinfo then press menu\getposition

Are there any sats in view? What dB level are they at?

thanks a lot, my gps is back.. i made this changes to it, and now the reception improved a lot, is the first time that i can see tomtom with 5 bars of reception, without reset time to fix is around 30-90 seconds.. sometimes less.. very impressive, but i will test it in a big city to check its accuracy.. normally with internal gps its very bad..lets see now.. after 20 seconds the db levels are between 20-30 db,almost all satellites.. the only problem that i noticed is my battery that is draining stupiditly fast, dont know if my battery is dying wich is possible because i´m a heavy gps user and i´m runing alway withs a car charger, or if the reg tweaks are draining my battery.. i will test it and let you know.. thanks once again..

Guest yugoport

4. Soft reset

5. Get GPS fixed within quick 30 -90 seconds, even after soft re-set! ;) I just done a test drive; GPS flow is continuous.

Finally DO NOT forget to post your feed back please as we need to improve it further!! ;)

Thanks

J.

very impressive, thank you so much.. no need to hard reset the phone gps is back and with a great reception, thank you for your hard work.. i just need to test the accuracy of the gps with this settings, i´m a heavy gps user so i will tell you the flaws that i find in the way.. thank you a lot and keep up with the good work.. ;)

Guest jh787
thanks a lot, my gps is back.. i made this changes to it, and now the reception improved a lot, is the first time that i can see tomtom with 5 bars of reception, without reset time to fix is around 30-90 seconds.. sometimes less.. very impressive, but i will test it in a big city to check its accuracy.. normally with internal gps its very bad..lets see now.. after 20 seconds the db levels are between 20-30 db,almost all satellites.. the only problem that i noticed is my battery that is draining stupiditly fast, dont know if my battery is dying wich is possible because i´m a heavy gps user and i´m runing alway withs a car charger, or if the reg tweaks are draining my battery.. i will test it and let you know.. thanks once again..

Hello Yugoport

Have you had a chance to check your gps accuracy yet?