Remove Windows Junk from Windows Mobile??

Guest RobinV

Hey all I have my phone for a While now and I love it (HTC S710)

But I want to get rid of some programs that are Bugging me. They take up space and memory I want to get rid of them.

Some people say Flash a ROM, But I think thats first Illigal Second Dangerous.

SO I want to do it the other way, I just want to delete the functions from the Phone..

I want to get rid of:

Microsoft Office

Internet Explorer

That Special way of Contacs, the SIM Card is MORE then Enough for me (I think this is in the Core of Windows Mobile but you'll enver know heh)

Calander (I got a better one)

Tasks

MSM Messanger

ActiveSync

Windows Media Player (I have two Music Players atm)

Windows Live

AdobeReader

Default Calculator

Fun & Info

Default Java Emulator

Default Games (They are Bugged anyway)

Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

I dont use any of them..

Thanks!

Cheers,

Robin

Guest awarner (MVP)

Certain papplications are basically part of the ROM and can not be removed.

Just installing applications etc to a storage card will save the internal memory.

I am interested in what calender you are using and in what way it is better? With the backing of Outlook on the PC to sync all calender and contacts personally I would find it hard to beat.

I am interested in what calender you are using and in what way it is better? With the backing of Outlook on the PC to sync all calender and contacts personally I would find it hard to beat.

I am using one I wrote myself. As I have a 99% Uptime with the internet of my Phone it does the following:

- It saves to a Local SQLLite Database.

- Syncs every 5 Minutes with a SQL Database online.

And I use that SQL Database athome aswell to run a Calander Program.

I havn't named it yet and I do not have a Windows Port in my notes yet.

So, basicly my Calander is ALWAYS up-to-date and thus some people can also Directly see what I have going on.

I think that that did beat that Calender Bigtime B) But thats my opinion. The reason I want to work like this is ofc since I run Linux as first. And Second that everybody (Who I give a SQL Passwd) has access to my Calender.

And about removing some junk form WM6, is there a list of minimalistic files?

Like a list that shows me what I can throw away and what not?

Thanks. =)

Guest Neil5459
I am using one I wrote myself. As I have a 99% Uptime with the internet of my Phone it does the following:

- It saves to a Local SQLLite Database.

- Syncs every 5 Minutes with a SQL Database online.

And I use that SQL Database athome aswell to run a Calander Program.

I havn't named it yet and I do not have a Windows Port in my notes yet.

So, basicly my Calander is ALWAYS up-to-date and thus some people can also Directly see what I have going on.

I think that that did beat that Calender Bigtime B) But thats my opinion. The reason I want to work like this is ofc since I run Linux as first. And Second that everybody (Who I give a SQL Passwd) has access to my Calender.

And about removing some junk form WM6, is there a list of minimalistic files?

Like a list that shows me what I can throw away and what not?

Thanks. =)

Sounds like a good project!

With regard to removing 'junk'- the only stuff you can actually remove is stuff that you can see in the Settings/Remove Programs applet. Anything else is included in the ROM image, within the ROM partition, so even if you did succeed in deleting it, you would not recover any user memory. The only way to do that would be to cook your own ROM, or use one of the minimalist cooked ROMs.

Flashing a ROM is not illegal, nor is it dangerous if you follow the explicit instructions for your device. It may however invalidate any warranty on the device, unless you flash back to the stock ROM before a warrantly return.

Ok thanks that did answer my question.

I think I might Flash it than. I will need to get some extra info about it though. As I am really scared that I will kill my phone.

I am not scared about the warranty. As I bought it off eBay B)

Kind Regards,

Robin

Guest Neil5459

Sounds like a plan B)

Flashing is not dangerous as long as you follow the instructions. You obviously know your way around computers, so it shoulsd be a breeze.

A good place to start is the XDA Developers WIKI which can direct you to some alternative ROMs; make sure though that you install any necessary bootloader (BIOS) updates before flashing.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Writing your own calender app would be hard to beat, did not realise you had your own app B)

Similar to an Exchange account I guess, but a lot cheaper by the sound of it.

A good place to start is the XDA Developers WIKI which can direct you to some alternative ROMs; make sure though that you install any necessary bootloader (BIOS) updates before flashing.

Thanks for telling me about that. Well I hope I will understand it..

But I'll ask anyquestions. When I'll need it. Thanks =)

Writing your own calender app would be hard to beat, did not realise you had your own app B)

Similar to an Exchange account I guess, but a lot cheaper by the sound of it.

Heh, well thats the point. As I am a coder myself and I am more of the Unix Side (Modulair Programming I mean) its hard to find the default Windows things well good.

I am even planning in rewriting the Contacts App. That it will store all the PhoneNumbers in the SIM but all the other data in a SQL Again.

And that it can 'Encrypt' Special Phonenumbers in the SIM Card.. But yea then I need to know first how to make a Service App that allways runs on Windows Mobile (And I havnt had the time yet to figure that one out..)

Anyway, if anyone would want that Calender App. I am thinking of extending it with a Windows Extracter that will Convert it to Firebird Data.

If there are people intrested I will fix my code up a bit and post it online.

Cheers all,

Robin