UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest savantsa
I told you so? Is that okay to day at this point?

So are you saying that thee is official software released for the Omnia by verizon ?

I would love that to be the case, but just believe it. ohmy.gif

Guest jcc71

i got my update from idoctor and still couldn't get GPS to work under Live Search. I loaded Google Maps, set it to COM8 & 56000 baud rate and it works great.

anyone know what i need to do to get Live Search (aka Bing) to work?

Guest l8nightrick
Wow! The update from Verizon has finally been released!!! Follow this link:

http://support.vzw.com/phones/index.html?p=4366

Look toward the bottom right where it states: Software Update (MR1)

And only a shade over two weeks late! Let's see how it works!

Also, here's the posting of the link from Verizon in their forums mentioning the GPS functionality:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/messa...;thread.id=3466

(" Of course, VZ Navigator with turn by turn directions that talk to you while driving and takes you to millions of locations throughout the U. S. and parts of Europe, is still available.") <smirk>

Guest l8nightrick

UPDATE - I've downloaded and installed it. Just an executable you run after connecting ActiveSync so it's really easy. I also loaded TomTom 7 on it and verified GPS works as promised. Original TTA was about 3 to 5 minutes. From a warm start it was about 15 seconds.

Guest jimijeff
UPDATE - I've downloaded and installed it. Just an executable you run after connecting ActiveSync so it's really easy. I also loaded TomTom 7 on it and verified GPS works as promised. Original TTA was about 3 to 5 minutes. From a warm start it was about 15 seconds.

any idea what the gps settings (com and baud settings) should be for google maps?

Guest l8nightrick
any idea what the gps settings (com and baud settings) should be for google maps?

The settings I have for TomTom are 4800 baud on COM8. The update doesn't seem to include the utility for setting the GPS info, though. To verify, you may need to perform the registry edit to make that utility available so you can see/set those settings.

Guest wingnut_2u

I know this is not an Omnia or Veri$on support forum but my experience may help some of you with the problem I had.

okay, I bricked my omnia on the leaked beta. Got the official and everything loaded like it was written. Firmware shell got to 60% upload and then stopped. I looked at the phone and it was at 100%. After about 10 min a window came up stating that the software had stopped and an emergency mode in now available. I selected this and followed the on screen directions to the letter. The phone rebooted and started to upload again. Crap it stopped at 60% again! I was leery on unplugging the phone and stopping the software due to my other brick. After a few dozen times I said piss on it and unplugged the phone at the emergency recovery part pulled the battery and put it back in then rebooted the phone. To my surprise it started and it's now running the new os.

one thing you DO NOT want to do that is DO NOT WANT TO DO EVER is unplug the phone while it is updating. I did this ONLY at the emergency part when the software said I could unplug the phone.

I used a laptop running xp sp3 with all the updates

not a single program running including background.

the usb port is a pcmcia 4 port card.

lots of rum after 40 mins of crapping my shorts on the 60% lockup

Guest kapkanimd

How did you get tomtom to work??? I have always used it w/ a portable bluetooth gps and it worked perfectly now I switched it to internal gps and it says no gps??? There is no place to put in a com or rate so I dunno?? Please help..

Guest l8nightrick
How did you get tomtom to work??? I have always used it w/ a portable bluetooth gps and it worked perfectly now I switched it to internal gps and it says no gps??? There is no place to put in a com or rate so I dunno?? Please help..

I've never used an external GPS unit with the phone, so that may be part of the contributing factor. Could be TomTom is still searching for the external unit. Have you played around with the GPS settings in TomTom?

Guest dna550

Success! Seven months after getting my Verizon Wireless Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 I am finally using Google Maps with the internal GPS!

This has been my single-minded goal since turning this amazing device on...well...right after using the device as a tethered modem, getting my corporate e-mail and calendar updates, surfing the web and, oh yeah, taking telephone calls.

The last step to a GPS-enabled Google Maps Mobile was to download and install and activate BAF GPS Toggle. http://www.baf.cc/gpstoggle

I turned on the BAF GPS Toggle GPS, waited a few seconds - out doors - and watched as BAF GPS locked-in 5 satellites.

Then I launched Google Maps. Yes! Eureka! Google Maps immediately positioned me on planet Earth

The step prior to that was to:

Make sure and go to Settings --> Personal --> Phone --> Services --> GPS --> Location = ON, and do a soft reset.

I did the step below too, but I doubt it made any difference, but if you want to know what ports your GPS is using and at what baud rate, then you will want this normally hidden control applet available:

If you can’t view External GPS under settings, then you need to edit your registry.

By using a registry editor you can unhide the External GPS control panel

by Deleting any “Redirect” or “Hide” keys under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Controlpanel\GPS Settings.

Warning, be sure to backup your registry first in case you mess up.

It's nice to see something about GPS in my system control panel!

To do the above, however, I had to first download a Desktop Registry Editor ;-)

I got The CeRegEditor which is a registry editor for all devices based on PocketPC2003, WindowsMobile, WindowsCE.

Much nicer to edit the registry for Windows Mobile 6.1 using my laptop and the USB-connected OMNIA!

CeRegEditor can be downloaded from:

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl.

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/index.php?id=3&lang=en

None of this would have been possible without downloading and carefully running the SAMSUNG SCH-i910 ROM Upgrade!!:

Where Do I Obtain CF03 Software Upgrade For My SCH-I910 (Omnia) Phone?

SCH-i910 User upgrade tool v1.0.5.3.zip

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=157996]

What a strange trip Verizon Wireless has put us through to use the Samsung OMNIA SCH-i910 internal GPS!

The Samsung SCH-i910 is a great device. In fact, it's capabilities are mind boggling and with the new ROM, touch screen usage is way better and generally the entire experience is much more usable:

I want to thank this forum for it's persistence and willingness to share information, since neither Samsung, Google Maps, Microsoft Windows Mobile or Verizon Wireless was able to get me over the hump on getting Google Maps working with the GPS on this device using Verizon's very capable network!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest e5c4p3artist

I'm sure this is a really stupid question. I certainly feel stupid for needing to ask it, but...

After installing the BAF GPS Toggle GPS application, how do you turn it on? Where on the phone do you go to access it? It does not appear to be showing up in my list of Programs.

Also, here's the posting of the link from Verizon in their forums mentioning the GPS functionality:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/messa...;thread.id=3466

(" Of course, VZ Navigator with turn by turn directions that talk to you while driving and takes you to millions of locations throughout the U. S. and parts of Europe, is still available.") <smirk>

Damnit you can't upgrade if useing vista 64. bah

Guest haus6565

AHHH, what a great day it is!!! My GPS is working on all apps. Turn by turn, Track Me, Locate Me. It knows I am in my garage and when I go inside, seems very accurate. The camera geo thingy works great!

I want to thank everyone involved, the apps, the settings, you deserve it!!!

Edited by haus6565

Guest haus6565
I'm sure this is a really stupid question. I certainly feel stupid for needing to ask it, but...

After installing the BAF GPS Toggle GPS application, how do you turn it on? Where on the phone do you go to access it? It does not appear to be showing up in my list of Programs.

It's on the Today screen, if not go to the Today settings and tick the box.

Guest pabco33
It's on the Today screen, if not go to the Today settings and tick the box.

What if it doesn't show up on the Today settings?

I have tried many things to get the GPS to work. I did the update yesterday and have played with the settings, but it still won't find any sats. At least today it put my location within 1500 meters of where I was. Yesterday I apparently was in Estonia!

Any help that can be given as to what else to do to get the GPS working would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest Midwest Express

Hey everybody... I followed the instructions on iDoctor.org and had no problems with that. However I am not able to get any of the GPS apps to work. I have Google maps and BasicGPS and neither will connect. I also installed the GPSToggle by BAF and it will show up on my home screen showing a seek of 11 but not lock to anything. Did I miss something or is there something I should check on?

Under the Extrernal GPS section the GPS Program Port is set to COM8. The Hardware port is (None) with a baud of 4800. I cannot change either of those fields. On the Access tab it is checked to Manage GPS automatically.

Any ideas out there?!

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest pcboyyy
I put the oemgpsone.dll, stdgps.dll, and gpsapi.dll in \Windows

I'm sorta afraid to quit out of Google Maps now.. I don't want to loose my GPS connection, heh.

If someone could help me to get this to work on my XV6800 that would great! I tried everything and it will not work. Where is this test program you are all speaking of? If you have it can you post a link so I can download it? If possible could you PM me the steps to get this to fully work? Thanks in advance.

-pcboyyy