BBC iPlayer on your Windows Mobile Device

Guest deadphill

Guest rickwookie
First - as I alluded to with the licence fee thing, why not just let everyone access it?

Second, I reconfigured my user agent to SGH-i900, worked fine this time yesterday, today it's only working over wifi!

Do you get Video? If so what are you using to play it?

Guest rickwookie
Yes video works fine (over wifi only now though). It uses the HTC streaming player

Hmm, what location do you get (name of the .sdp file), and is your media a 3GP file?

Guest MarkT1973
Yes video works fine (over wifi only now though). It uses the HTC streaming player

If you are not a Vodaphone or Three customer then that is why. If you save the streaming link as a favourite in Opera, when connected via Wi-Fi you can then reconnect via 3G and open the links. Hold on the click here to play and copy the shortcut, then add a favourite and paste the url.

Guest Monolithix

rickwookie: don't remember the name off the top of my head, and the media was 3gp.

Mark: Not very practical if you're on the train though B) (but nice tip all the same B))

Guest MarkT1973
Mark: Not very practical if you're on the train though B) (but nice tip all the same B) )

Set mine up for bbc1+2 at home on Wi-Fi last night then watched them ON 3G today.

Practically you set up and save shortcuts at home on Wi-Fi, then you can use them practically anywhere on 3G!

Hopefully if you have 3G on your train that will practically solve your problem! B)

If you don't have 3G or Wi-Fi on your train you not gonna stream much!

Guest artesea

Please that my find has been picked up elsewhere.

I notice that Alex (nedge2k) pointed out the UserAgent checks suggesting you might want to try the Nokias instead, however a bit of code further down does a "isWidget" (or similar) check to see if you are looking at the page via the browser or their app.

Both the N96 and I900 use the same files so rickwookie this is why you might have though the Beeb assumed you had a Nokia, however they didn't.

The reason why we can't get the iPhone mp4s to work is that the Beeb had to find a way to stop people stealing the files, and found bugs in the iPhone which they could exploit to stop the mp4s running on your PC. This is what is stopping us from watching it on our WinMo phones. (However clever people have worked out how to get the mp4 on to their PCs anyway).

On my X1, I'm using the special X1 build of Opera 9.5 and watching the TV via the HTC Streamed Media app.

If I get a chance I'll try and create a page which will have a list of all the various streamed links (flv, mp4, 3gp) for people to test on various phones, browsers and media players.

Hi all, im new on here, just tried it myself on my htc hd and iplayer opens up fine but when you select a programme on the catch up and live tv section it opens the media streaming programme but all you get is a grey screen and no sound but you see the time bar moving so somethings happening..............any ideas, the radio streaming works fine though.

Guest zenkinz

I don't live in UK, so I don't subscribe to BBC streaming service.

However, where I live (in Singapore), we have live TV streaming too and I always had problem accessing it whenever I change to a new phone. Custom User Agent registry hack won't work, as the service provider obviously look at something else to block my phone.

I found out eventually the registry is not custom user agent, but UAProf (hklmsoftwaremicrosoftwindowsinternet settings). The registry value contains the URL that points to the device specification xml, so just need to change to the one that's in the compatibility list.

Guest marcel808

I have an HTC HD and can't stream catchup tv at all.

I'm wondering if its the version of HTC Streaming Media app; on the HD I have version 3.0h.

If anyone has this working on a Diamond or Touch Pro (catchup not live tv) can you tell me the version of HTC Streaming Media app you're using

thanks

Guest pd.ryder

Hey guys - SkyFire browser is available as a public beta now. This browser will stream all flash content straight into your device over 3G or WiFi. It's not perfect yet, but its getting there...

I did try to post this on the News page but none of the mods or admin have picked it up... B)

Guest stuzathegreat

Argh! Can get and browse and see the thumbnails but then .... *bam* "Please switch to wifi..." I don't want to! If I was using Wifi i'd probably be near a pc and wouldn't need to watch on my phone anyway. :rolleyes:

Is there anyway around this?

edit: btw, SkyFire doesn't support the Omias screen yet.

Edited by stuzathegreat

Guest fatbutcher

I'm still having issues getting this working on my Diamond with TLR Rom. All works ok until it opens Streaming media, sits there buffering ....0% then says Failed to Find network.

I've got my gprs/3g/h data turned off and connected to wifi.

Streaming media player is version 3.0h (build 1816.3030)

Cant test live TV atm, showing as off air!

Anyone any ideas?

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm using a diamond with oficial Orange firmware. Every other user that has commented has been able to get it working on their Diamond. The best I can get is the page below which just looks like something has gone with the HTML formatting and non of the links work.

post-57016-1229703323_thumb.jpg

Guest creations

We're sorry but this page is currently unavailable or cannot be found .please follow the link below ...

BBC HOME ...click.....>>>>

404 page not found ...

error on link.

Guest Monolithix

OK, it breaks down to this:

iPlayer + Touch HD + Wifi = WIN!

Looks great, works great. Nice job BBC, now just make it available on other networks without us having to fiddle with saving links! :rolleyes:

I'm still having issues getting this working on my Diamond with TLR Rom. All works ok until it opens Streaming media, sits there buffering ....0% then says Failed to Find network.

I've got my gprs/3g/h data turned off and connected to wifi.

Streaming media player is version 3.0h (build 1816.3030)

Cant test live TV atm, showing as off air!

Anyone any ideas?

My Diamond is the same. I don't know if it's a Network thing...I am on Orange with 1.93 standard ROM. I have not seen an answer to this anywhere either <_<

Guest atomickarma
My Diamond is the same. I don't know if it's a Network thing...I am on Orange with 1.93 standard ROM. I have not seen an answer to this anywhere either <_<

I'm on T Mobile and getting the same, so we can possibly rule out this being a network-specific block. On one occasion I got the opportunity to view a program, and the streaming software started - and then told me I wasn't connected to the web.

grr.

Skyfire is looking like the best interim solution until Live Mesh is implemented

They have started trying to prevent Omnia users (or emulators) using 3G streaming unless you are on Vodaphone or Three. A pain if you want to watch on the move. You get a message saying please switch to wifi if you try when connecting via 3G. However at the moment if you connect via wifi and save the streaming link as a favourite you can then access it via 3G. I am sure they'll find a better way eventually to control streams but but it works well at the moment with my T-mobile Omnia at least.

All working fine for me too :rolleyes: , also using a flashed (PDA:DXHJ1/Phone:DXHK1) T-Mobile Omnia. iPlayer opens with streaming player, any idea on whether it will work with Core Player and if so how to configure it?

Cheers guys.

• 2 months later...
Guest Maxwell Newton

Im using Opera 9.5 and i cant enter any letters into the Custom User-Agent box, only numbers or non-alphabetical characters, such as '-'.

There are words in there already which is strange!

Any ideas?

@ pd.ryder

Tried skyfire, little buggy still, but its an amazing browser! Cant figure out tabs yet, so it doesnt replace opera, but it does stream iplayer without having to do anything! However its showing the iplayer in desktop view and plays, this makes it hard to view the video and even harder to press the tiny little pause/play etc buttons!

Any ideas on that one?

Thanks,

Max

Guest pd.ryder

I've confined Skyfire to the "to be improved" drawer since getting my Touch HD a couple of weeks back. There are settings amongst its pages for desktop or mobile pages, but I found it preferable to poke at the "full screen" icon until I found it and it would then run at proper full screen, rotated too.

As I said, it still needs improvement and has many bugs, especially when it comes to entering text etc. Have you tried their support forum? Woop woop!! Look out if you dare make any suggestions or comments about its ability to perform (or not). I was shot down in flames several times by a particularly venomous admin who eventually copped a gobful from me.

I'd best re-read the thread now to find out how to get my Touch HD to access the iPlayer....

B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.