Smartanoid: Android Edition

Guest Croccy22

Guest Croccy22

Well for my first game I have decided to stick with what I know and i'm going to do a remake of my Smartanoid game for the Android Platform.

It's prob not going to ready for about a month, maybe longer but hopefully it should be worth the wait. I've doen some mock up graphics which i've attached to this post. The graphics are subject to change but I think they are looking ok so far. If anyone knows where I can get some spacey sounding royalty free midi files then let me know, I tried looking around but as there is a chance that I may sell this game everything starts to get a bit more complicated wih regards to licensing.

One more thing, If this game turns out good, nice grpahics, nice music, good gameplay, around 50 levels with powerups etc, what sort of price would you people be willing to pay for such a game? My normal motto is sell it cheap but sell plenty, so don't expect to see it on the market for £10 or anything silly like that. I want people to buy this game without having to consider how much it will cost them! Pocket Money prices like the good old Spectrum games :rolleyes: As a developer I would get 70% of the profit so bear that in mind when you come up with your pricing ideas.

Thanks, Matt.

post-1840-1230311584_thumb.png

post-1840-1230311599_thumb.png

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Can't help re: midi files, but this'd have to be 99p or £1.99 IMO as the games need to be as cheap or cheaper than disposable-download ringtones etc.

There are few genuinely unique games in the android market - the only one I can think of is the puzzle squares one that change colour to fill the board ( can't think of the name and handset is in another room) and of 30 or so downloads for me so far that would be the only one I'd want to pay for. I'd pay £4.99 or something for it becuase it is very good - simple but good. And original....

M.S

Guest Croccy22
Can't help re: midi files, but this'd have to be 99p or £1.99 IMO as the games need to be as cheap or cheaper than disposable-download ringtones etc.

There are few genuinely unique games in the android market - the only one I can think of is the puzzle squares one that change colour to fill the board ( can't think of the name and handset is in another room) and of 30 or so downloads for me so far that would be the only one I'd want to pay for. I'd pay £4.99 or something for it becuase it is very good - simple but good. And original....

M.S

In a way I agree with you about games needing to be cheap. However, at the same time I think it's strange that you think a game that developers spend weeks/months working on should be cheaper than a ringtone that someone spent a whole minute converting into a 30 second audio clip?

I've played that puzzle game, and although the game idea is nice, simple and fun, the graphics really need a good polish. It's a shame as there are a few games on the market place that have potential, they just need someone to put a bit of time in on the presentation. It's amazing what a difference some nice graphics and some subtle music makes.

Matt.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
In a way I agree with you about games needing to be cheap. However, at the same time I think it's strange that you think a game that developers spend weeks/months working on should be cheaper than a ringtone that someone spent a whole minute converting into a 30 second audio clip?

I've played that puzzle game, and although the game idea is nice, simple and fun, the graphics really need a good polish. It's a shame as there are a few games on the market place that have potential, they just need someone to put a bit of time in on the presentation. It's amazing what a difference some nice graphics and some subtle music makes.

Matt.

The price for a ringtone is pretty much 'accepted' and no cause for real thought during purchase by the buyer, especially if it gets added to their airtime bill or taken from credit. Your game price needs to be in the same bracket as if they think twice based on a higher price then odds are it won't get bought. I've seen some research based on the apple store with similar conclusions. Your brick breaker game needs to really stand out from all the other brick breaking games to make an impact. Any special differentiator?...

The fact that there are so many playable *free* games already out and many more coming is also a major factor in your pricing. Colouroid's graphics are fine for what it does - only so much you can do with coloured squares....I'd rather have a good, original, playable, free game than a highly polished overpriced me-too clone any day of the week...

M.S