The official HTC Touch 3G "Ask Chris...." thread

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix

[teaser]

expansys_white_logo.jpg

06-Feb-2009_touch3g.jpg

This one sort of passed us by, however Paul and I are now putting the HTC Touch 3G through it's paces thanks to the MoDaCo WinMo Week podcast sponsor eXpansys.[/teaser]

The Touch 3G is a mid range Windows Mobile Professional 6.1 device coming in at the relatively decent price of £315 (£305 with a MoDaCo voucher). The key specs are:

• 528MHz Qualcomm MSM7225 CPU
  • 256/128MB ROM/RAM
  • 2.8" qVGA touchscreen
  • Touchflo 2D
  • 7.2MBps Dual band HSDPA and Quad band GSM
  • BT/Wifi/GPS
  • 3.2Mpix camera
  • 102 mm x 53.6 mm x 14.5 mm, 96g

My first impressions with respect to the device are very good. First, it is probably the fastest WinMo Pro device I've ever used. The resistive touchscreen is lovely to use and as sensitive as the apps are responsive. The soft-touch finish to the case coupled with the light weight make it feel comfortable and snug in the hand. Touchflo2D, while not quite as shiny as it's 3D sibling, is great and retains all the functionality.

The downside's so far are really only the lack of a full VGA screen and limited storage memory available on the device (around 70MB). After using the Touch HD and Pro I had gotten used to installing all my apps to the device allowing me to mix and match storage cards as necessary. Considering the close proximity to the Touch Diamond price point, and the Diamonds built in 4GB of storage (albeit without the microSDHC slot the Touch 3G sports) these elements could be deal breakers. However, if you prefer a nippier device or the ability to switch storage cards this may be for you.

Do you have a Touch 3G? Thinking of buying one? Post your questions and feedback below and I'll try to answer as many as possible!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I really like it, but then I liked the original touch (and I know a good few people are still using those!)

The addition of 3G and GPS are obviously the biggest improvements.

TF2D is pretty impressive!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, of course, I meant more that people who were able to upgrade had chosen not to on the basis that they really like the original Touch... :)

P

Guest Monolithix

@mick, well if it had a VGA screen I'd be torn to decide between it and the Diamond, it *is* a bit cheaper...

@UndeadDevil, it's based on the "budget" MSM7225 chipset rather than the Diamond/HD et al MSM7501A, information on the differences seems to be quite limited but I'd imagine it's either the 7225 CPU is limited in some way or TF3D is for VGA devices only...personally, I love TF2D and don't miss 3D one bit. It's way faster and just as functional!

Guest mcwarre

Mono,

Thanks for the answer. I am a bit stuck atm. I have had a MWg Atom Life for about 2 years and have tried the Touch Pro and quite a few others. The only one that tempts me? MWg Zinc II. For £199 it is so close to a Touch Pro in spec but cheaper new (less than half price). I had a play with the touch 3G and it was nice but not worth £300 over my paid for Atom. Being tight I expect........................

I now go for the best price plan (currently 1100 x-network anytime and unlimited data for £25/month). The phone received free was not very good (to say the least) so I flogged it on fleabay for £140. I then look for sim free. I need to be taken into a dark room and spoken to as the only device which tempts me is an apple one..... :)

Guest Monolithix

Haha, you aren't necessarily a bad person for feeling those temptations :)

The Zinc II is also a really nice handset though, and especially bargainous for that price. No VGA and i found the keyboard arrangement a little odd (but you'd get used to it eventually i guess). Otherwise it was a really solid handset and looks great!

Guest jporch316

Where can i get one of those swanky analogue clocks for my touch diamond. - the blue haze also looks quite nice. I think the TF2D looks loads nicer than the TF3D

Guest nickcornaglia

I was always a big fan of the touch. Not the Touch Dual. When I walk into my local BestBuy, they still sell the White CDMA version of the original Touch. Such a small size and looks really cool in white. If HTC would start making devices that work fully in the US (No US 3G bands on most of their latest devices) I may have found myself buying one of these.

• 1 month later...
Guest booboobedoo

Hi,

Can you tell me whether the Touch 3G supports ALS (Orange Line2) ? (Please don't say yes unless you have actually tried it - several phones mention ALS/Line2 in the manual without actually supporting it).

Many thanks,

Boo

Guest booboobedoo
Can you tell me whether the Touch 3G supports ALS (Orange Line2) ? (Please don't say yes unless you have actually tried it - several phones mention ALS/Line2 in the manual without actually supporting it).

Well talking to a CS muppet is never definitive but Orange told me it doesn't so that puts the kybosh on that...

Boo

Guest Monolithix

Older versions of PocketPC/WM Pro did not support it. That isn't necessarily the case now, but it seems to be less than ubiquitous across Pro handsets :/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.