OMNIA HD - 8Mp 720p HD Video recording 3.7" AMOLED

Guest chokia

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
This one will be running symbian s60 5th edition similar to Nokia 5800 but the UI is ugly and poor support by developer and application. and make it worst it is Samsung.

I mean look at how hard for us here to get support from Samsung or even XDA developers who are only focus with HTC made product.

But still because of winmo, we still get some support and progress to make our phone better. Even dummies can cook their own ROM /firmware

Imagine if it is Symbian? They only wait for Nokia to update the improvement. And nokia only does it for nokia phone not samsung. I remember after i sold my N95 then only they have flashlite 3.1 That really pathetic. and for the whole time i had N95 the only time i use turn-by-turn voice gps navigator is only for 3 days after purchased, then Nokia disabled this feature and make you pay a yearly fee for it.

My frens who are having Nokia 5800 still cant get Garmin Mobile Xt to work in their phone. Thats how pathetic using Symbian OS, and nobody in Symbian Foundation can help to fix that.

For WINMO, we dont have to wait for manufacturer like Nokia to announce FW update after like what 6 months once just to get 3G+ icon to be "H", or A2DP support or mail exchange support or DLNA support or even change of icon. We can do it ourselves.

Tell me if phone running s60 v2.1 can be upgraded to s60 v3 ? But that wont be a problem for phone running winmo 2003 upgrade to win6 > wm6.1 > wm6.5 > wm7.

That's huge advantage of choosing winmo.

First off Congratulations to Samsung for a surprisingly well done job on the sensational Omnia HD, definitely I WILL buy it as soon as it comes out B) .

Now I strongly disagree with your personal opinions due to the fact that ms is sitting on its ass all years long just to realize that it is way too late in the catch up game, like the lazy fast rabbit vs turtle story. And when it does get something "new" going it sits back again and laughs like a moron :( . WM is only good now for press this and that to get there, well for the good old day big PDA with a stylus but not for today fast moving life so iPhone UI has gained the popularity (easy and fast to navigate). I own the first touch PDA Omnia and after 6 months with WM 6.1, I honestly have to say RIM and iPhone UIs are the best. But lucky enough we have experts who has windows OS programming experience because the OS has been around before anything else. But telling me to upgrade or try flashing a new or custom ROM every month or so and spend weeks to experiment with it is not a good idea for me and probably for everyone else who just have own life. So Samsung made a very smart move to use a stable and fast Symbian OS to market its new flagship Omnia HD, and the good news is that Nokia and Samsung development teams have worked together on this new phone so Samsung can tweak (full access) and have its own touch widgets integrated. So no worry here that Samsung will totallly depend on Nokia to update ROM.

Anyway I rather have Samsung try on different OS platform with the same hardware to see which one comes out the best but one thing for sure to have a faster and more responsive UI is a capacitive touch screen, which lazy microsoft sure does not like.

Edited by Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

So, I don't know much about S60, but are there a comparable number of apps for it vs Windows Mobile? Will I have turn by turn GPS? Full web browser w/flash? Decent media players? Weather apps?

Guest spy1983

that seems brilliant...

Just a quick question...

Why do you have to argue with everyone. Please be polite and you'll get a nicer feedback from everyone. Don't be a troll.

And about chokia and his lack of knowledge about mobile devices? Are you any better? Everyone has to learn and forums are a great way to learn and share.

I think that it would consume too much energy so it's better to leave it as it is.

Guest bobobird
So, I don't know much about S60, but are there a comparable number of apps for it vs Windows Mobile? Will I have turn by turn GPS? Full web browser w/flash? Decent media players? Weather apps?

No worries on that score. Symbian has loads of software.

About whether web, graphics etc - yes to that too. Loads of them.

Guest respider

will buy for sure

I loved my omnia, but I sold because the screen was REALLY bad sensitive and resolution

now has good res and CAPACITIVE touchscreen

thats perfect!

Guest respider

what about new symbian for touch? will there be loads of apps? because they are incompatible with the older symbian, right?

what about handwriting recognition? it's a lifesaver in the lab when I'm taking data.

Guest bobobird

@respider

This will be a newer symbian so yes will have to wait for the apps to be updated.

@ryboto

First real touch screen symbian so handwriting will be there (I am assuming). Would'nt make sense not to have it.

But we still have to see it come out to market and then check the reviews etc before getting it.

Guest jamesjames_
@respider

This will be a newer symbian so yes will have to wait for the apps to be updated.

@ryboto

First real touch screen symbian so handwriting will be there (I am assuming). Would'nt make sense not to have it.

But we still have to see it come out to market and then check the reviews etc before getting it.

There is handwriting recognition on Symbian for touch, but there can't be handwriting recognition on this device since the display is capacitive.

Guest travelbug

hi guys

one of the reasons i read that samsung has chosen the symbian platform over winmo is because of winmo's poor quality/control over the cmos processor responsible for controlling picture (camera) and video quality.

i tend to agree with this line of thought as nokias using symbian consistently produce better pictures/video than their winmo counterparts of the resolution.

this is too bad though as many of you stated, one of the reasons for using winmo is its almost unlimited ability to be customized. the symbian platform, almost like the iphone is good at what it does and nothing more really. it cant be customixzed as much and it definitely cannot be updated as easilly as winmo dudes cooking their own rom's.

i feel however that samsung really wanted to showcase its higher resolution and oled screen so they had to go the symbian way, at least until winmo 7 comes along :(

Guest Perfectionist

Kickass Link Bobo !! The Omnia-HD is looking like THE device to get in 2009 !! :D

However I'm sincerely hoping that the inevitable WinMo version will address a few issues :- B)

1) Beefing up the CPU - even the T-Omnia comes with 800Mhz and the Toshiba TG01 has hit 1Ghz !! :D

2) More Memory - come on, why is it so hard to put 512/256Mb in the ROM/RAM, again like the Tosh !! :D

3) More Storage - 16Gb is cool but the Nokia N97 has pushed up the bar with 32Gb !! (can't wait for 32Gb MicroSD's !!) :P

4) Screen Resolution - such a SWEET screen yet it's not a standard WVGA, WTF !! :D

5) Device Size - highly unlikely I know, but I wish manufacturers would try and remember that these things are meant to be portable !! :(

I would much prefer a more compact handset (ideally 50 x 100 x 10 mm!) and don't really care about huge screens (a 3" VGA is plenty for me!) which are a big reason why runtimes are so crappy !! :P

Guest mobilehappy
4) Screen Resolution - such a SWEET screen yet it's not a standard WVGA, WTF !!

The screen resolution used is the new "standard resolution" for Symbian touch devices, as also used by Nokia.

This resolution works very well with HD video and also will have the greatest compatibility with new Symbian "touch" apps and games.

So i guess my next phone will probably be Symbian powered... :(

I would hazzard a guess that if Samsung makes a Windows version it will be Wvga but also probably with a resistive touch screen as all other winmo phones.

2) More Memory - come on, why is it so hard to put 512/256Mb in the ROM/RAM, again like the Tosh !!

5) Device Size - highly unlikely I know, but I wish manufacturers would try and remember that these things are meant to be portable !! rolleyes.gif

I would much prefer a more compact handset (ideally 50 x 100 x 10 mm!) and don't really care about huge screens (a 3" VGA is plenty for me!) which are a big reason why runtimes are so crappy !!

The new HTC Diamond2 should then be a prime alternative too. (3.2" WVGA, 512/256Mb)

Edited by mobilehappy

Guest whatledog
The screen resolution used is the new "standard resolution" for Symbian touch devices, as also used by Nokia.

This resolution works very well with HD video and also will have the greatest compatibility with new Symbian "touch" apps and games.

So i guess my next phone will probably be Symbian powered... :(

I would hazzard a guess that if Samsung makes a Windows version it will be Wvga but also probably with a resistive touch screen as all other winmo phones.

The new HTC Diamond2 should then be a prime alternative too. (3.2" WVGA, 512/256Mb)

Unfortunately, for me, the diamond2 doesn't have tv-out, and I don't need the KB of the TP2 as much as I thought I did B)

I don't know... going to Symbian would be a big step... Does GSmart, Acer, or Toshiba have great sites for support and developing as this one for the omnia (Speaking of which, will this site even support the new omniahd?)

Guest Perfectionist
You're right WVGA is now almost standard ..... will WinMo7 mean they can start using cap screens instead of res ??

True, but it has a non-OLED screen, no built-in storage, mono speakers, no FM transmit, no 3.mm jack and a crappy camera with no flash !! Plus it will probably be too slow and with useless drivers !!

• 2 months later...
Guest GunGirlYuna

Samsung Omnia only has one flaw for me though,

(watch the omnia HD hands on), theres no multitouch =[ that means its going to have a flaw that later symbian mobiles will not have. Hopefully Samsing will change this before it is officially released but I've heard it will be released on the 25th of May this year. That means in 4 days.

Guest Perfectionist

This is gonna be THE phone to get in 2009 !! :)

Hopefully a WinMo7 version will come out next year to really make it the "ultimate" device !! Hurrah !! <_<